The Student Room Group

Will bad GCSEs lower my chances for Cambridge law school?

Hi guys,
I was a 2020 gcse student and I got downgraded, my gcses are 8,6,6,5,5,5-4,4,L2D*.

For A-levels it's possible for me to get A*A* B (did my mocks last week) or even A*A*A* with lots of hard work.
If I do manage on getting these A levels is there a possibility of cambridge law ? (I also have extenuating circumstances and may also qualify for contextual offers)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,
I was a 2020 gcse student and I got downgraded, my gcses are 8,6,6,5,5,5-4,4,L2D*.

For A-levels it's possible for me to get A*A* B (did my mocks last week) or even A*A*A* with lots of hard work.
If I do manage on getting these A levels is there a possibility of cambridge law ? (I also have extenuating circumstances and may also qualify for contextual offers)

Nobody can tell for certain but it has been done before. Your best bet is to apply because that is the only chance you will get.
I think a lot more emphasis on your law application is placed on your interview and admissions test results rather than GCSE's.

If you did badly at GCSE's but performed well enough at A-level to apply to Cambridge, I guess that would show them your dedication and hard work to be able to pull your socks up and get your act together enough to apply to their university.
Hi there!

There are a few things we'd say about the results you currently have. Your achieved GCSE grades are quite a bit below what our applicants typically achieve. This means that your application will not immediately look as strong as those who are applying with stronger grades. However, how you achieved in the context of those around you also matters. If your grades are much stronger than other students in your year at the school where you did your GCSEs, this will also be relevant, as will if your results were much lower than other people's. Admissions Tutors may also be sceptical if your A Level predictions are substantially stronger than your GCSE achievement unless you have a reference which shows that your attainment has improved a lot at A Level.

As the above posters have said, it's not just about your GCSE results. We will look at your Cambridge Law Test result (you will only take this if you are called for interview) and your interview, as well as your reference, personal statement and predicated grades. Our assessments are holistic, so no one part of the application carries any more weight than any other.

As a final note, Cambridge don't make contextual offers. While we absolutely do take into account individual extenuating circumstances as well as individual, postcode-level and school-level data about all applicants, we do not use this to reduce the grades offer holders are required to achieve.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

Hii, may I ask if you still applied for Law?
Reply 5
please can someone help me on tips to write for my personal statement about law. I want to focus it on my interest for civil law and MLM and pyramid schemes. I really do not know how to start it and our deadline is very soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending