The Student Room Group

preparation

I am in Year 11, and I suddenly want to aim to go to Cambridge to study computer science. Do you think it is too late for me? Are there specific GCSE grade requirements to improve my chances of getting in? Do I need to prepare anything right now, like tests or competitions? Also, if I am only studying 3 or 4 A-levels, will I have a lower chance of getting in, as I've heard that some people take 5 A-levels
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am in Year 11, and I suddenly want to aim to go to Cambridge to study computer science. Do you think it is too late for me? Are there specific GCSE grade requirements to improve my chances of getting in? Do I need to prepare anything right now, like tests or competitions? Also, if I am only studying 3 or 4 A-levels, will I have a lower chance of getting in, as I've heard that some people take 5 A-levels

Hi, I am applying for Law this year at Oxford. I would suggest having a conversation with a teacher at your school maybe someone in charge of careers if you have someone like that. Regards to GCSE's Oxbridge tend to be looking for all 7-9 across the board with most students having grades 8/9. Competitions and things I think it is important to show your interest in the subject and get some experience and things to write about, you will also be able to do a lot of this in year 12. So it definitely isn't too late as you still have time to get the GCSE grades and pelnty of time in sixth form to prepare, I would just suggest to get ahead of the game in summer and in year 12. I didn't know if I wanted to apply to Oxbridge till year 12 so you have time I think, best of luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

You definitely don't need to study 5 A-levels; most successful applicants will have 3, and some will have 4. It's usually advised to take just 3 A-levels so you can be confident that you get perfect grades.
Reply 3
Original post by isobel l
Hi, I am applying for Law this year at Oxford. I would suggest having a conversation with a teacher at your school maybe someone in charge of careers if you have someone like that. Regards to GCSE's Oxbridge tend to be looking for all 7-9 across the board with most students having grades 8/9. Competitions and things I think it is important to show your interest in the subject and get some experience and things to write about, you will also be able to do a lot of this in year 12. So it definitely isn't too late as you still have time to get the GCSE grades and pelnty of time in sixth form to prepare, I would just suggest to get ahead of the game in summer and in year 12. I didn't know if I wanted to apply to Oxbridge till year 12 so you have time I think, best of luck :smile:

Thanks, it really helps! Good luck with your application too!
Reply 4
Original post by Riann246
You definitely don't need to study 5 A-levels; most successful applicants will have 3, and some will have 4. It's usually advised to take just 3 A-levels so you can be confident that you get perfect grades.

I see, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending