The Student Room Group

UEA or Leicester for computer science?

I've been accepted at UEA for computer science,
and Leicester gave me an offer too. Which uni do you think is better for computer science and how is the student life for both of them?
Original post by tom521
and Leicester gave me an offer too. Which uni do you think is better for computer science and how is the student life for both of them?

Hi @tom521

Firstly, huge congratulations on your place at UEA and your offer from us - great work!

How near are you to our campus? We're still running some campus tours where you can come and see the campus for yourself if you haven't had a chance to yet? I've also added some info below from one of our current students, Anita, on the things she loves about Leicester which I thought may help as a little round-up...

Anita's favourite things about Leicester:
1) Shopping! There are loads of the usual chain stores in High Cross Shopping Centre, as well as quirky independent stores, vintage shops and charity shops. There's also a new area in the city centre which is home to lots of vintage stores which is really cool.

2) There's loads of fun places to go when you're not studying - Caddyshackers (mini golf), Bounce Trampoline Park and Lane 7 (arcade, bowling and mini golf) are some top picks

3) There's lots of green space around to get some fresh air - Victoria Park (right on the university's doorstep) and Bradgate Park which is huge and full of wildlife including deer! Abbey Park is also nearby too.

4) Sports, sports and more sports - there's so much choice for sports fans - from Leicester City FC, to Leicester Tigers and also home to the oldest basketball club in Britain - Leicester Riders. Oadby Racecourse is also nearby!

5) Spoilt for food and drink options - there are so many nice places to eat out in Leicester, as well as good pubs and clubs. There's so much variety, but also some perfect options too for when you're on a budget too.

I've also added a link here to one of our YouTube playlists which is packed with videos relating to Student Life / the area. I've included a link here to one of my favourite videos too as it gives a great overview of Leicester.

Hope this helps - let me know if there's anything else I can help with. Go with what feels best for you :smile:

Best wishes,

Ellie
Original post by tom521

Hi @tom521

Congratulations on your offers, that's great news. You should be really proud of yourself. The best way for you to experience UEA and all it has to offer is by visiting, so if you're able to do so then we do recommend booking a campus tour to see it for yourself. However, more immediately - you can visit virtually and explore from the comfort of your home too, just visit our Virtual Open Day. You'll have exclusive access to all things UEA and discover more about your subject too.

When it comes to student life, we have something for everyone on campus. With a renowned Sportspark, plenty of cafes, bars and eateries, acres of green spaces and our very own live music venue. Not to mention a campus art gallery (Also known as The Avengers HQ having featured in a Marvel movie or two :wink:) The vibrant city of Norwich is also just a short bus ride, cycle or walk away. Take a look at our web pages to hear from some of our other students and see some of their favourite spots in the city and surrounding areas.

If you have any specific questions about Computer Science at UEA - You can speak to a current student and find out about their experience too, just visit our Uni Buddy pages and filter by the subject. We also have this recent blog post from a current student about life at UEA which we hope gives even more insight into life here.

If you're hoping to live on campus, you can take a 360 degree tour of our accommodation too. You'll find plenty of videos to immerse yourself in life at UEA on our Campus Life and Accommodation YouTube playlist so that would also be a great place to look.

We hope this helps and would love to welcome you in September. If there is anything else we can help with, let us know.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by tom521

hi where did u end up going ? I am going to UEA so if you did end up going to UEA do u thinks its good for comp sci ?
Reply 4
Original post by redjelly21
hi where did u end up going ? I am going to UEA so if you did end up going to UEA do u thinks its good for comp sci ?

hi, I too was given the opportunity to go to Leicester but instead have chosen UEA for comp sci, i plan on visiting the campus soon to see what it is like at UEA soon.
Reply 5
Original post by affected
hi, I too was given the opportunity to go to Leicester but instead have chosen UEA for comp sci, i plan on visiting the campus soon to see what it is like at UEA soon.

I might see u at UEA in September! Unfortunately I can’t visit before then so if u go please let me know if you like it and how it is ! Thanks !
Reply 6
(Original post by redjelly21)I might see u at UEA in September! Unfortunately I can’t visit before then so if u go please let me know if you like it and how it is ! Thanks !

The campus is very nice, very spacious and a lot of green area, also had a chance to look at some of the accommodation whilst I was there and i must say I am not dissapointed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending