The Student Room Group

Getting accused of collusion/plagerism

So me and a mate made some revision notes for a module together, (via google docs collaborative working) and did it so we can teach other stuff to improve understanding as well as motivate each other. Well the exam came round and did it, and now the university have marked us both down as possible collusion/plagiarism attempt. However, upon receiving the collusion report we had written answers in the same style as we did whilst we revised, almost word for word unfortunately.
Whilst I realised this was a terrible mistake, will the university accept that we didn't collude, only revised together? We had no idea this would be considered misconduct and as this has happened to us the first time at uni( Normally get good grades in other modules) - would they let us go/ give a academic warning/ or mark us down if I explain this all to them. Itsd my final year and don't want to fail my degree, because I don't want to retake a year again, id rather get into work now.
Reply 1
Original post by Baldeneo
So me and a mate made some revision notes for a module together, (via google docs collaborative working) and did it so we can teach other stuff to improve understanding as well as motivate each other. Well the exam came round and did it, and now the university have marked us both down as possible collusion/plagiarism attempt. However, upon receiving the collusion report we had written answers in the same style as we did whilst we revised, almost word for word unfortunately.
Whilst I realised this was a terrible mistake, will the university accept that we didn't collude, only revised together? We had no idea this would be considered misconduct and as this has happened to us the first time at uni( Normally get good grades in other modules) - would they let us go/ give a academic warning/ or mark us down if I explain this all to them. Itsd my final year and don't want to fail my degree, because I don't want to retake a year again, id rather get into work now.

Ultimately it comes down to the plagiarism policy of the university, the evidence you can present when questioned and the attitude of the person handling it.

I'm not convinced that this is the correct forum for this question but I don't know.

Maybe some with more knowledge on how universities deal with plagiarism cases will be able to better respond to this.
Reply 2
Unfortunately, this is technically collusion. It's a tough lesson to learn - just be honest about what has gone on. With a bit of luck they will just have you complete an online academic integrity course
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
Unfortunately, this is technically collusion. It's a tough lesson to learn - just be honest about what has gone on. With a bit of luck they will just have you complete an online academic integrity course

The reason it happened as during the online exam I had a little family emergency, and cost me about 20 minutes of exam time. When i came back I panicked and wrote out the answer in the same format of the revision notes, but with the intention of changing it later. Would the university still push against this as my record shows I am a good student who usually does well, including the coursework for the module.
Reply 4
The reason it happened as during the online exam I had a little family emergency, and cost me about 20 minutes of exam time. When i came back I panicked and wrote out the answer in the same format of the revision notes, but with the intention of changing it later. Would the university still push against this as my record shows I am a good student who usually does well, including the coursework for the module.

Frustrating as it is for you (I do get it!), we can't really give you a solid answer here. It depends on ye details of your departmental/institutional policies. What I will say is that if you are honest and could perhaps demonstrate a genuine mistake, then the departments in which I have worked would look favourably on it, and might allow a resit as s sit (I.e. uncapped) - this is u usual and I have only seen it two or three times in 7 years or so of teaching

Just be honest, explain as you have here, be contrite and see what comes of it. My fingers are crossed for you
(I will request that the thread is moved to the correct forum.)

In the meantime, @PhoenixFortune and @Reality Check might be kind enough to chip in with some thoughts.
(edited 2 years ago)
If they are your revision notes (in own words) then you are allowed to use that sane wording in an exam.

And I don’t know that you can’t share your notes around -then it would be fairly simple for one persons (for example) spelling error of a technical term /law case to be copied to several people.

Hard to say how it would be treated but easy to see how it’s innocently done. People share notes if one person say missed a lecture.
Original post by Admit-One
(I will request that the thread is moved to the correct forum.)

In the meantime, @PhoenixFortune and @Reality Check might be kind enough to chip in with some thoughts.

Thanks for the tag :smile:

I agree with @gjd800 here, that the best course of action is that you come clean, be entirely honest with your tutors/department as to what happened here and hope for a good result. The fact that you're in your final year rather counts against you I think, as there would be an expectation that you would have learnt what 'collusion' is after three years at undergraduate level - these sorts of things are usually treated more leniently for first year students. There certainly needs to be a good deal of contrition and understanding of the seriousness of it all if you want a benevolent outcome.

I think it's inevitable that there will be some sort of academic penalty, but whether that is a loss of marks, a zero for that paper or a capped or uncapped resit depends on your university's policies, about which we do not know. You need to speak to your tutor/programme leader about this.
Thanks for the tag @Admit-One :smile:

I don't really have anything else to add that hasn't already been mentioned. I suggest that you shouldn't put too much emphasis on your family emergency, as 1) you should have contacted your lecturer etc. at the time if it was a big problem, and 2) you don't want it to seem like you're saying collusion is allowed if you have extenuating circumstances.
hello,
I am accused of a similar problem and just wanted to know how you got on? did you go in front of an academic misconduct panel? what was the final outcome? would really appreciate knowing your outcome. thanks in advance.
Original post by ryancole2001
hello,
I am accused of a similar problem and just wanted to know how you got on? did you go in front of an academic misconduct panel? what was the final outcome? would really appreciate knowing your outcome. thanks in advance.

I'm in a similar situation, what was the outcome for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending