The Student Room Group

Punished for being plagiarised?

(This question isn't about myself - I'm on a gap year anyways - but a friend of mine who is currently seriously freaking out.)

Basically, my friend (a first year uni student) told me that a friend of hers from uni asked to see some of her work because she was stuck on an assignment so she sent her a picture 'trying to be nice'. Now my friend has received an email from the 'module convener' asking her to go to a meeting next week since their assignments have been flagged as matching up (a lot). She has proof that this girl actually asked her to see her work (a screenshot of their text convo, which I have seen) and that she even copied her citations with the same spelling mistakes (!) etc, but she's worried about the possible punishments she might receive. She says she didn't intend to collude with another student or know that this girl was going to completely copy her work but that she did know she wasn't supposed to have sent her work in the first place. So the question is - what are the possible punishments my friend could receive for having sent another student an image of her work for an assignment and allowing them to copy it and thus plagiarising (albeit unknowingly)?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
You need to consult the university's academic misconduct regulations which will set out the possible sanctions. It may also depend on the level of study, as academic misconduct is regarded as more serious at L5 and especially L6. If they are L4, they may get away with a warning. A fairly typical penalty is to be awarded 0% for the assignment. Your friend's explanation that she didn't mean for her work to be plagiarised is unlikely to be accepted.
Reply 3
Original post by cheadle
You need to consult the university's academic misconduct regulations which will set out the possible sanctions. It may also depend on the level of study, as academic misconduct is regarded as more serious at L5 and especially L6. If they are L4, they may get away with a warning. A fairly typical penalty is to be awarded 0% for the assignment. Your friend's explanation that she didn't mean for her work to be plagiarised is unlikely to be accepted.

Okay thanks for your reply, I will let her know. I don't really understand what you mean by L4/5/6 (since I dont go to uni) but she is a first year uni student and this is the first time anything like this has happened with her so taking that into account as well as the fact it wasn't her doing the plagiarising, do you think she could just get off with a warning on this occasion?
Reply 4
L4 is first year. First years who commit academic misconduct are sometimes required to attend a meeting with a member of the academic team as a kind of informal warning rather than undergoing a formal investigation. The meeting will also address how to avoid academic misconduct in future. Any future breach would obviously be penalised as set out in the regulations. Hopefully that will be the case for your friend. Obviously she would be advised to be up front about how she got into this situation. The thing to remember here is that students are not meant to share their work with anyone else, so when it comes to collusion both parties are often seen as equally responsible.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
This is textbook collusion. Just tell these people no!
Reply 6
Original post by cheadle
L4 is first year. First years who commit academic misconduct are sometimes required to attend a meeting with a member of the academic team as a kind of informal warning rather than undergoing a formal investigation. The meeting will also address how to avoid academic misconduct in future. Any future breach would obviously be penalised as set out in the regulations. Hopefully that will be the case for your friend. Obviously she would be advised to be up front about how she got into this situation. The thing to remember here is that students are not meant to share their work with anyone else, so when it comes to collusion both parties are often seen as equally responsible.

Yes, she has been called in for a meeting but she said she 'had a bit of hope' because the email was worded quite nicely. And she also said she was going to be completely honest about what had happened with this 'friend' of hers, so hopefully they do just let her off with a warning.

Thanks again for your responses, I'll let her know and hopefully it puts her mind to ease a bit before the meeting :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending