The Student Room Group

Need some guidance - Liverpool

Doing law at uni of Liverpool. Would really appreciate if a former student could help. Started second year and I feel like I have learnt nothing. My average was 2:1 and above for first year results . Anyways still just don’t know what to do. I wanna be a lawyer but no idea in what field. Right now just thinking corporate that’s where the money is. ( I know law field is something you should be passionate about) anyways this year nodule is equity trust, EU law , land law and tort law. So any other law student done this modules? Can send me notes, any help as most my exams will be coursework. Also Imma be honest my commute to uni is 1 hour plus so I’m not able to explore the full opportunities at my uni. Anyone got any recommend websites to do vacations scheme online, or best websites to apply on, also my Cv again… I have a LOT of work experience it’s just not law related. So I have attended few webinars here and there but I still feel there is nothing that’s gonna stand out on my CV. I’m not even part of my law society. I was deputy head in school and part of cricket team in college that’s all. Anyways all support will be helpful! As I haven’t even made any good friends lol (mostly cause of commuting).

Sorry for the rant, all help is appreciated and any advice thank you!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
The UoL has an exceptionally capable (and annoying involved/everpresent) careers team.

That should be your first port of call.

I don't know why you want to be sent notes etc. It reeks of laziness. Help.with assessments can easily sleepwalk into collusion, and again, I do not understand why you are asking for this before even getting into the units. Prima facie, it isn't a good look.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by ToGodly
Doing law at uni of Liverpool. Would really appreciate if a former student could help. Started second year and I feel like I have learnt nothing. My average was 2:1 and above for first year results . Anyways still just don’t know what to do. I wanna be a lawyer but no idea in what field. Right now just thinking corporate that’s where the money is. ( I know law field is something you should be passionate about) anyways this year nodule is equity trust, EU law , land law and tort law. So any other law student done this modules? Can send me notes, any help as most my exams will be coursework. Also Imma be honest my commute to uni is 1 hour plus so I’m not able to explore the full opportunities at my uni. Anyone got any recommend websites to do vacations scheme online, or best websites to apply on, also my Cv again… I have a LOT of work experience it’s just not law related. So I have attended few webinars here and there but I still feel there is nothing that’s gonna stand out on my CV. I’m not even part of my law society. I was deputy head in school and part of cricket team in college that’s all. Anyways all support will be helpful! As I haven’t even made any good friends lol (mostly cause of commuting).

Sorry for the rant, all help is appreciated and any advice thank you!

Hi there,

Sometimes you can feel like you have 'learnt nothing' after your first year, because this year is often a year where the objective is to develop study skills, familiarise yourself with University styles of learning/assessment and also to get everyone up to the same level in terms of knowledge. It might just be the case that you had many of the skills and knowledge already! I believe that in 2nd year the difficulties and demands will considerably increase, so you should feel like you are gaining much more. My key recommendation would be to spend as much time as possible reading - there are always long reading lists for each module, some required, others optional. The more you read, the more you will learn and this will improve your performance in assessments as well as provide you with extra skills and knowledge to make you more employable.

Best of luck for the rest of the year :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending