The Student Room Group

Urgent uni decsiions help

I’m applying for PPE/Politics and Econ at university for 2024. My choices so far are Manchester, Oxford, Liverpool and two that I’m not sure on. I’ve rlly been considering LSE but got put off because of Low acceptance rates. Should I just risk it and apply anyway? Also considering UCL and KCL but are these unis worth moving 4+ hrs to London and taking out the max loan? Pls help in rlly unsure
Original post by Anonymous
I’m applying for PPE/Politics and Econ at university for 2024. My choices so far are Manchester, Oxford, Liverpool and two that I’m not sure on. I’ve rlly been considering LSE but got put off because of Low acceptance rates. Should I just risk it and apply anyway? Also considering UCL and KCL but are these unis worth moving 4+ hrs to London and taking out the max loan? Pls help in rlly unsure

What grades have you achieved? What are you predicted and in which subjects? What are the requirements of the unis you're considering?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
What grades have you achieved? What are you predicted and in which subjects? What are the requirements of the unis you're considering?

predicted A*A*A*A hopefully(if not A*A*AA), GCSEs were a mix of 9s and 8s. Entry requirements are lowest AAB and highest A*AA
predicted A*A*A*A hopefully(if not A*A*AA), GCSEs were a mix of 9s and 8s. Entry requirements are lowest AAB and highest A*AA

Do you meet LSE's requirements for Maths and preference for FM?

LSE and UCL are both very highly respected internationally and domestically, they would lead to great career prospects. Especially LSE, which is basically the gold standard for social sciences (Oxbridge aside). They are both very tough to get into, but you have a fairly safe choice in Liverpool given your predicted grades, so that might not be a big problem. I'd note that for LSE's BSc programs, there's a pretty clear preference for Further Maths as well as the MAT/TMUA as they want their students to be very strong mathematicians as well as social scientists. I imagine if you opt for BA program, this preference wouldn't necessarily be as big of a deal.
Reply 5
when picking unis don't just pick the uni - also pick the city. if your heart isn't in london DON'T GO. you're right - it is expensive. it's also very busy and won't have a campus feel to it. that being said it is an amazing city full of so many new exciting things - as a midlander now when i go home i feel so bored and underwhelmed. but if you don't see yourself there don't even bother applying. as for low acceptance rates - it's because lse is a good uni! and if you want it and believe in yourself you should go for it!! never doubt what you're capable of.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Do you meet LSE's requirements for Maths and preference for FM?

As I am applying for PPE I thoght there wasn’t a preference for FM? Is that not the case?
Reply 7
Original post by Beeyah
when picking unis don't just pick the uni - also pick the city. if your heart isn't in london DON'T GO. you're right - it is expensive. it's also very busy and won't have a campus feel to it. that being said it is an amazing city full of so many new exciting things - as a midlander now when i go home i feel so bored and underwhelmed. but if you don't see yourself there don't even bother applying. as for low acceptance rates - it's because lse is a good uni! and if you want it and believe in yourself you should go for it!! never doubt what you're capable of.

Haha that’s the thing- I absolutely love the idea of doing university in London, I have visited students there and it seems like something I would enjoy. Plus being an ethnic minority it’s so diverse and easy to meet people like minded there it seems. It’s just finances are a big factor, so I’m unsure whether I would move if I got an offer from a London uni and I was accepted at Manchester as well. As a midlander do you think it’s worth it?
As I am applying for PPE I thoght there wasn’t a preference for FM? Is that not the case?

Well, LSE want an A* in Maths for PPE and also state "An additional qualification in Further Mathematics (at any level) is not required but is an indication of mathematical ability and a helpful preparation for the programme."
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/undergraduate/degree-programmes-2024/bsc-philosophy-politics-and-economics

Therefore it's not essential, but is preferred as a demonstration of a candidate's mathematical ability. That's not to say you shouldn't apply!
Reply 9
Haha that’s the thing- I absolutely love the idea of doing university in London, I have visited students there and it seems like something I would enjoy. Plus being an ethnic minority it’s so diverse and easy to meet people like minded there it seems. It’s just finances are a big factor, so I’m unsure whether I would move if I got an offer from a London uni and I was accepted at Manchester as well. As a midlander do you think it’s worth it?

For me personally yes i love it so much. But you will have to make sacrifices - your standard of living will be lower. You’ll also probs have to walk to uni at least 30 minutes if your budget is on the tighter side. However central london is a fun walk and its easy to catch a bus if its raining or something. If you are eligible for contextual (depending on the uni) u should get a good bursary and enough money to cover rent and stuff. If your parents are high earners however they will have to fund you a lot + you’ll most likely need at least a summer job. So it depends on circumstances. If you don’t care ab being super close to uni and living in very modern conditions you will love it there. Genuinely you’ll never run out of things to do and places to try, and it is like a once in a lifetime opportunity to live in central.
^ This
Bear in mind that you don’t have to choose all your options before the October deadline. Just submit your application to Oxford before that deadline, then use the rest of the time left to decide on the rest.

Just to add, you don't have to choose all 5 at once. You can apply with, say, 3-4 unis selected and then add the remaining 1-2 later after you've had more time to think about it and hopefully have had some responses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending