The Student Room Group

How to leave my student accommodation?

I am so desperate to change to my hometown University (not commuting) as I’ve found the university I’ve chosen (was stuck between that and home uni) is not for me. I feel so isolated even though I’ve gained confidence, been out with different types of people etc but i just know i would be happier at my hometown university and this place is not for me. Academically, I should be able to make the switch as Hometown Uni can still accept me, the only trouble is the contract for my accommodation here.
Will i be able to end the contract if i leave this uni?
Or how on earth do i find a student to take over the room?
Original post by unsweetenedblue
I am so desperate to change to my hometown University (not commuting) as I’ve found the university I’ve chosen (was stuck between that and home uni) is not for me. I feel so isolated even though I’ve gained confidence, been out with different types of people etc but i just know i would be happier at my hometown university and this place is not for me. Academically, I should be able to make the switch as Hometown Uni can still accept me, the only trouble is the contract for my accommodation here.
Will i be able to end the contract if i leave this uni?
Or how on earth do i find a student to take over the room?

Hi there,
I'd recommend checking your tenancy agreement and the cancellation policy of your accommodation. That should detail under what circumstances that you can cancel your tenancy. For example, it may cover if you are no longer a student at that university then that is grounds for a cancellation but only if you send evidence within a certain time frame. Or if you're living with a private accommodation provider who has accommodation in your hometown, they may offer you accommodation there rather than permit a cancellation of your current tenancy. It entirely depends on what's in the policy.

I'd suggest speaking to your current accommodation team as they may be able to advise. If you do need to find a replacement tenant, they may be able to help if they have a waiting list. Alternatively, I'd always suggest posting on forums like TSR and also on social media. Sites like SpareRoom can also be helpful.

Hope this is of some assistance!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending