The Student Room Group

Biomedical Eng vs Chem Eng vs EEE vs CompSci

Hi everyone! I just wanted to send in the forum to hear some of your opinions. I am currently in year 12 right now and I'm deciding between the four university courses above (A-Levels are Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry). I have always wanted to go into Engineering as it is more practical than say Computer Science (which is just coding as far as I have seen??? I still really really really enjoy coding though) but right now I don't really know because I have mainly done coding projects but nothing much with electronics even though I think I would enjoy that. My end goal is to work in the health/ renewable energy sector as these subjects interest me, but I have heard that doing bio and chem is a bit narrow and if I want to go into other industries then EEE or even mech is better at switching. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
Original post by Violinakat
Hi everyone! I just wanted to send in the forum to hear some of your opinions. I am currently in year 12 right now and I'm deciding between the four university courses above (A-Levels are Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry). I have always wanted to go into Engineering as it is more practical than say Computer Science (which is just coding as far as I have seen??? I still really really really enjoy coding though) but right now I don't really know because I have mainly done coding projects but nothing much with electronics even though I think I would enjoy that. My end goal is to work in the health/ renewable energy sector as these subjects interest me, but I have heard that doing bio and chem is a bit narrow and if I want to go into other industries then EEE or even mech is better at switching. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Computer science is not just coding
For example
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/computer-science
Year one is
Continuous mathematics
Design and analysis of algorithms
Digital systems
Discrete mathematics
Functional programming
Imperative programming
Introduction to proof systems
Linear algebra
Probability
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Computer science is not just coding
For example
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/computer-science
Year one is
Continuous mathematics
Design and analysis of algorithms
Digital systems
Discrete mathematics
Functional programming
Imperative programming
Introduction to proof systems
Linear algebra
Probability

Thanks for the reply! I completely see now that it is not just coding, but for me it still feels a bit too theoretical (I've realised CompSci is a lot of maths too, which I would enjoy but I like application of maths more). I guess the question I now have is (and I assume there are varying opinions for this): is it better to take something general like EEE or go straight into Biomedical? (I have kind of separated chemical from my debate of EEE against Bio)

Thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest