The Student Room Group

Can I change uni in my second year?

I'm miserable. I am genuinely fed up. I've tried to change myself. I have tried to 'fit in' i really have but i can't. Honestly I'm so depressed right now. Can I change uni's in my second year. Do the same course or equivalent at a different uni?

Many thanks.
Hi
I think you can change uni
But it is a long process
First you have to call the school that you want to enter for second year asking them if they is space in the course you are doing.
Reply 2
Hi
But it is a long process
First you have to call the school that you want to enter for second year asking them if they is space in the course you are doing.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
But it is a long process

Ah right thanks
Original post by Dymphna5
Hi
But it is a long process

Ah right thank you. It's just I'm utterly fed up with everything here.
Reply 5
Original post by Kentinho99
I'm miserable. I am genuinely fed up. I've tried to change myself. I have tried to 'fit in' i really have but i can't. Honestly I'm so depressed right now. Can I change uni's in my second year. Do the same course or equivalent at a different uni?

Many thanks.

Is it the uni that you're fed up with or is it the fact that you haven't made friends, because when you say you don't fit in, I assume that means that you are struggling socially? The reason why I ask is that, usually, these problems stay even if you change unis. For example, I have social anxiety and I am struggling to fit in and make friends and I know that if I change unis that won't change anything. Do you feel that you're very introverted?

If you want to change anyways then that's fine. I think you can leave anytime you want to, but I would strongly think about it because I think you would have to start all over again if you applied to different uni, so that would not be good for financial reasons. I assume that you would start all over again, because every university teaches the same course slightly differently, so I am not sure if you would be able to start from second year for example. I personally wouldn't change unis just because I can't fit in. I have social anxiety and 0 friends and I am going to graduate this year, so I don't even care.
(edited 2 years ago)
Sounds like you're having issues about yourself, and not the uni.

Transferring to another university might still result in the same issue.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Sounds like you're having issues about yourself, and not the uni.

Transferring to another university might still result in the same issue.

Well in a way its not really issues with myself when everyone t the uni judges me as I'm from the North. Also my housemates degrading me as I don't have as much money or experience as them. I was bought up not to judge people and to treat everyone with respect and decency and everyone at the university seems to be so judgemental.
Reply 8
Well in a way its not really issues with myself when everyone t the uni judges me as I'm from the North. Also my housemates degrading me as I don't have as much money or experience as them. I was bought up not to judge people and to treat everyone with respect and decency and everyone at the university seems to be so judgemental.

Judging you in what way? I think it is better to tackle these problems head on instead of switching unis. Are they harassing you? Saying bad things about you behind your back? Do they discriminate against you and have they done anything that made you feel upset? If there was something that happened then you should be able to contact your university and fill in an allegation form, explain what happened and you'll be able to sort it out. You can also try to confront them directly and tell them that you didn't like something that they did?

I feel like these problems can be fixed and I don't really see the point switching unis especially if you still enjoy your course.
I would day stick it out until the end of the year and then change accomodation to a studio flat if you can afford it, if you can't then just try to request not to be with the same flatmates, in terms of people not liking you cos your from you north I genuinely don't see why anyone would have an issue with that, can I ask if your in any societies or sports clubs
Original post by Gidray
Judging you in what way? I think it is better to tackle these problems head on instead of switching unis. Are they harassing you? Saying bad things about you behind your back? Do they discriminate against you and have they done anything that made you feel upset? If there was something that happened then you should be able to contact your university and fill in an allegation form, explain what happened and you'll be able to sort it out. You can also try to confront them directly and tell them that you didn't like something that they did?

I feel like these problems can be fixed and I don't really see the point switching unis especially if you still enjoy your course.

Well this is the thing I am uptight I need to work on that. This is why I get upset a lot. I have social anxiety and people on my course make fun of me. I struggle with talking face to face about myself or my anxiety. People just judge me as I am ugly. Yes I am not the best looking person yes people will always judge me of course but everyone literally everyone does it.
Original post by Anonymous
I would day stick it out until the end of the year and then change accomodation to a studio flat if you can afford it, if you can't then just try to request not to be with the same flatmates, in terms of people not liking you cos your from you north I genuinely don't see why anyone would have an issue with that, can I ask if your in any societies or sports clubs

Well next year i won't be living with any of these people as they will be leaving as they are in their final years of uni which is a relief to me. I am in the table tennis society yet i still can't make proper friends there. Which I am going to work on there. I need to change myself i know but what happens if I have this problem next year too.
Reply 12
Well this is the thing I am uptight I need to work on that. This is why I get upset a lot. I have social anxiety and people on my course make fun of me. I struggle with talking face to face about myself or my anxiety. People just judge me as I am ugly. Yes I am not the best looking person yes people will always judge me of course but everyone literally everyone does it.

It's a mental health issue and you should tackle it. Social anxiety is something that will stay with you and it is not going to leave you no matter where you go, because I have social anxiety myself and I know that switching places won't change who I am.

I understand that you may struggle to make that first step towards getting support but it is much better than switching unis. See your mental health and wellbeing services. Counsellors and therapists are trained and will not judge you and will never make you feel uncomfortable. They deal with a range of mental health problems and would always be happy to help you. :smile:.

The fact that people make fun of you because you're ugly or from a different place is just in your head I think and that's part of social anxiety which again you should deal with because it's not gonna disappear even if you change your circumstances. I don't think every single person judges you because you're ugly or laugh at you. It's just all in your head.
Well next year i won't be living with any of these people as they will be leaving as they are in their final years of uni which is a relief to me. I am in the table tennis society yet i still can't make proper friends there. Which I am going to work on there. I need to change myself i know but what happens if I have this problem next year too.

Look man, I know it can be difficult but believe me you aren't the only person who is in your situation right now. Try to find some motivation to use to block out the bs around you. At the end of the day the aim is to get the degree and as long as you do well in that aspect your going to be laughing in the end. Some people are really hurtful and nasty people sometimes without them even knowing (they think they are having fun and that it's just a joke but don't see what their actions are doing) you gotta soldier on and get to the end of the year. That's good your in a society and although you ain't made any close friends atleast you have one sport you enjoy, maybe try join one or two more societies even if there isn't something you would normally do it's worth trying it out you never know. My advice is always be yourself whilst being thoughtful you don't need to make people like you. Screw them! You will succeed in life!!

Many thanks.

Maybe.

It’s called transferring, generally it’s quite hard to do and you may find it depends what uni you want to go to as well as the course, if the modules don’t match up you may find re-applying & redoing first year more likely.
Ah right thank you. It's just I'm utterly fed up with everything here.

What uni are you in btw
Original post by Dymphna5
What uni are you in btw

Plymouth marjon Uni
Hi, I’ve just finished my first year at DMU and I realised that I don’t actually like it there and I was thinking of transferring to University of Leicester. The thing is is that the university of Leicester doesn’t allow in year transfers for LLB Law and that’s what I want to study. Meaning that I would have to re do my first year. My a level grades were AAB but my first year grade is 50% but I’m so so worried that they won’t let me in because I didn’t get a 2.1.
What do you think my chances are of getting into this uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending