The Student Room Group

First year accomodation in second year?

Hey,

I would like to be in first-year accommodation during my second year and I have heard many people do this successfully. I was even recommended by my brother to do this as he wished he did at university. However, when I emailed my university (Exeter) they said it wasn't possible.

Do some universities just offer this, but others don't?

Can anyone share information on this?

Thanks.
Original post by comprehensive
Hey,

I would like to be in first-year accommodation during my second year and I have heard many people do this successfully. I was even recommended by my brother to do this as he wished he did at university. However, when I emailed my university (Exeter) they said it wasn't possible.

Thanks.

Indeed. At my university (Queen Mary), university-owned accommodation is guaranteed to all first years and first years only. We do have the option to apply as second and third years for uni accommodation but we most likely wouldn't get it and are heavily discouraged to even attempt this.
Hey,

Thanks.
Hi @comprehensive,

Yes universities can offer this for example Edge Hill provides spaces in first year to all first choice students. Then you can apply in second and third year however there is meant to be more emphasis on third years getting a space than second years.
However, the only difference I found was the accommodation on campus that was on offer for second and third year was less with you having two or three options which were of different budgets.

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Hi there,

Yes, it depends on the university.

At LSBU we offer accommodation to all students, whether they're 1st, 2nd or 3rd year students. However, at first we place all 1st years in accommodation, then once we see we still have available spaces and rooms, we place 2nd or 3rd year students. Basically, 1st year students are a priority but we still offer spaces to other students.

All universities have an Accommodation Team, so perhaps you can reach out to them? Usually if they can't put you in student halls, they can help you find private accommodation with other students.

And if they'll be unhelpful, you have numerous FaceBook groups where other students are looking for available accommodation or students to share a flat with. There are also websites like SpareRoom, Ideal Flatmate or Unite Students where you can find student halls or available rooms.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Hey,

Thanks.
Accommodation rules are highly individual to the specific university because they all own very different amounts, types and locations of accommodation and are in locations with different accommodation options and prices and have different student numbers. You are at uni in Exeter, a city with a specific population, housing resource, pressure on housing, uni history, uni resources, student numbers, other students etc. Those circs are all different to every other uni eg Bristol - a more expensive city, with much more pressure for non-student accommodation, in the posh end of town etc

You need to engage with however accommodation is allocated at Exeter and ask about the process, perhaps giving reasons why you, as a second year with uni experience, should take up a room that would otherwise be allocated to a first year, probably leaving home and living alone for the first time.
Hey,

Thanks.
Hi there,

I do think it is university dependent. I know at my uni some people did stay at accommodation in their second year but I think it does change uni to uni.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Hey,
Thanks.

Hi there,

It really depends on which Uni you go to. At Hallam, they guarantee every first year a space in university owned halls so you can only apply through the university site if you want to live there in first year. However, you can sometimes book it through the accommodation's website separately to the uni and still live there in second year so it would be worth looking into this. I lived in my Uni halls for two years and the first year I applied through Hallam and got a space and the second year I did it directly with the accommodation. However this does depend on how many rooms they have.

You could also apply for privately owned halls as you can live in these regardless of what year you are in. It may be worth looking to see if there are any private halls in the city that you are living in.

I would ask your university accommodation team and maybe schedule a meeting with them if you can as they are probably the best people to help you with this!

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending