The Student Room Group

student loan for second year

Hi, so my concern is that for the first year I only got minimum maintainence loan as I didn't qualify for independent status student due to one year being low of income, my parents whom I have no contact with more than 2 years probably, they didn't fill the P2PP form and I got entitled to minimum loan, but this second year, am I eligible to apply for independent status as its been more than 3 years that I've financially supported myself, including the time being in first year, so is it possible as I am struggling a lot financially with less loan in uni. any response would be appreciated.
thank you
The 3 years supporting yourself rule is based on your circumstances at the start of your course. It can’t change mid course.

If you don’t have any contact with either parent then you need to speak to someone (a social worker, teacher, lecturer, counsellor, support worker or health professional usually or a religious leader would normally be accepted too) about getting a letter verifying that you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents. Then you will be considered independent.

If you get this sorted before May 2024 then you can get your current finance reassessed as an independent student too
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Hi, thank you for the response and further information.
What I forgot to add before was I was supposed to start my course at September 2022, but I deferred it to April 2023 and my student finance was already assessed for up to September then, and then I had to change my start date for the university in the application and no further changes could be made in the application. And as for second year, my starting month is April 2024 for second year, so will it be possible to reassess again as an independent student.
how different would the amount be when either you're an independent student or get loan based on your parents income?
Original post by PQ
The 3 years supporting yourself rule is based on your circumstances at the start of your course. It can’t change mid course.

If you don’t have any contact with either parent then you need to speak to someone (a social worker, teacher, lecturer, counsellor, support worker or health professional usually or a religious leader would normally be accepted too) about getting a letter verifying that you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents. Then you will be considered independent.

If you get this sorted before May 2024 then you can get your current finance reassessed as an independent student too
Original post by sumisunuwar
Hi, thank you for the response and further information.
What I forgot to add before was I was supposed to start my course at September 2022, but I deferred it to April 2023 and my student finance was already assessed for up to September then, and then I had to change my start date for the university in the application and no further changes could be made in the application. And as for second year, my starting month is April 2024 for second year, so will it be possible to reassess again as an independent student.
how different would the amount be when either you're an independent student or get loan based on your parents income?

Hi there,

If your course started in April 2023, then it would be 3 years of self support prior to the 1st of April 2023 in order to be apply for this. The difference in amount depends on the household income. You can check this here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If your course started in April 2023, then it would be 3 years of self support prior to the 1st of April 2023 in order to be apply for this. The difference in amount depends on the household income. You can check this here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator Thanks, Jason

Hi, if we have changes in the income, where do we edit it for second year?
Original post by sumisunuwar
Hi, if we have changes in the income, where do we edit it for second year?

Hi there,

We only use the students income if you're applying for self support, and this is based on you being self supporting for 3 years before the start of the course as Jason mentioned above. If income changes after this we don't need to know this.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending