The Student Room Group
Reply 1
GCSEs are considered quite important, since they will show consistency in grades and likely to show whther u are capable of A's at A level. Though of course AS levels and predicted grades are given more weight. However, u must remember that Med schools have thousands of applicants and only a limited number of places, so some schools will not consider ur personal statement if u don't meet the entry requirements. If certain gcse grades are required, then they are required. They need a way of cutting down the numbers.
It depends on the med school on how much they take GCSE grades into account, just do ur research.
Reply 2
I got GCSE - 3A*'s 4A's and 3B's
AS - 2A's and 2B's
PREDICTED AAAA
A2 - AAAAC
I would say in my opinion that the breakdown of importance when apllying for medicine is about:

10% GCSE Grades
10% AS Grades
30% Predicted Grades
50% personal Statement
(I made these up by the way - its my opinion)
One major piece of advice though - Do not let your grades influence your application - apply to where you want to go not to any so called 'easy to get into med schools'. This is a major mistake which i made, fortunately I am now at one of the best med schools in the country - MANCHESTER.
Good Luck.
Dave

Latest