The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

Enrolment issues

Hi everyone,

It's a long story so I'll try to boil it down to the basics:

I enrolled in an MSc in October 2020, requested an academic break due to mental health issues in January 2021, decided I wanted to transfer to another course and began the process on the 1st of December 2021. Contacted multiple people, had a call with the programme director (the only one who could apparently authorise my transfer) on the 17th of December, emailed him immediately with the information he requested, and after that he stopped answering completely, despite me sending a couple of emails requesting updates.

After a long wait and a lack of responses from him, the Applicant Relations team advised me to apply to the new course from scratch, specifying where I could that I was a current student and was requesting a transfer.

I applied, for about a week they did not respond, only when I called them to follow up on the application (since term would start in a few days) was I advised that I had been made an offer. I immediately accepted and provided the requested documents as soon as they let me know I needed to do it.

I was advised that the delay in sending out the enrolment email was due to the Admissions team (which is impossible to contact by phone), but on Monday I was told that Admissions was going to send out my enrolment email on that day. I still haven't received it, and actually when I called yesterday morning I was told that Admissions was under the impression that I actually wanted to be reinstated to my previous course? Only then was I told that I needed to withdraw from my previous course to be able to enrol on the new one.
This was after a week and about 15 calls to The Hub and the Applicant Relations team. Term started 3 days ago, I'm missing I don't know how many lectures and I don't know when or if I will be able to catch up, as no one can tell me if my modules are being recorded. I've told them multiple times that I work full time and I'm a part time student. My issue is that when I was enrolled on the other programme I paid for the first year in full but only attended one term, so I'm sort of "tied up" because they still have my money.

As it stands, I don't even want to study there anymore, they've caused me an insane amount of upset and distress, and I want my money back. I called them so many times in the past week, and one ever thought to mention that I needed to withdraw from my previous course. I was alternatively told that my lectures started this week, or next week, and that they were being recorded or not (this was different versions from about 4/5 different people).

I'm really upset and stressed and I just don't want anything to do with UEL anymore. Any advice on what I should do? Thank you, sorry for the long post
Reply 1
Hi Sorry to hear you are going through this. I cannot offer any advice as I am in a similar situation with my degree and issues around accessing support. I just didnt want to read and not reply as its beyond stressful., I hope you manage to get sorted, or apply to another uni in time and get settleed doing what you want to do, which I am sure you will Good Luck xx
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by gemm4511
Hi Sorry to hear you are going through this. I cannot offer any advice as I am in a similar situation with my degree and issues around accessing support. I just didnt want to read and not reply as its beyond stressful., I hope you manage to get sorted, or apply to another uni in time and get settleed doing what you want to do, which I am sure you will Good Luck xx

Thank you for reading :smile: I wish you luck for your situation too, it's so bad :frown:
Original post by Monnis
Hi everyone,

It's a long story so I'll try to boil it down to the basics:

I enrolled in an MSc in October 2020, requested an academic break due to mental health issues in January 2021, decided I wanted to transfer to another course and began the process on the 1st of December 2021. Contacted multiple people, had a call with the programme director (the only one who could apparently authorise my transfer) on the 17th of December, emailed him immediately with the information he requested, and after that he stopped answering completely, despite me sending a couple of emails requesting updates.

After a long wait and a lack of responses from him, the Applicant Relations team advised me to apply to the new course from scratch, specifying where I could that I was a current student and was requesting a transfer.

I applied, for about a week they did not respond, only when I called them to follow up on the application (since term would start in a few days) was I advised that I had been made an offer. I immediately accepted and provided the requested documents as soon as they let me know I needed to do it.

I was advised that the delay in sending out the enrolment email was due to the Admissions team (which is impossible to contact by phone), but on Monday I was told that Admissions was going to send out my enrolment email on that day. I still haven't received it, and actually when I called yesterday morning I was told that Admissions was under the impression that I actually wanted to be reinstated to my previous course? Only then was I told that I needed to withdraw from my previous course to be able to enrol on the new one.
This was after a week and about 15 calls to The Hub and the Applicant Relations team. Term started 3 days ago, I'm missing I don't know how many lectures and I don't know when or if I will be able to catch up, as no one can tell me if my modules are being recorded. I've told them multiple times that I work full time and I'm a part time student. My issue is that when I was enrolled on the other programme I paid for the first year in full but only attended one term, so I'm sort of "tied up" because they still have my money.

As it stands, I don't even want to study there anymore, they've caused me an insane amount of upset and distress, and I want my money back. I called them so many times in the past week, and one ever thought to mention that I needed to withdraw from my previous course. I was alternatively told that my lectures started this week, or next week, and that they were being recorded or not (this was different versions from about 4/5 different people).

I'm really upset and stressed and I just don't want anything to do with UEL anymore. Any advice on what I should do? Thank you, sorry for the long post

How is it now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending