The Student Room Group

Student University Record Closed

Was wondering if someone can provide me with some guidance, I studied Electronic Engineering last year but left early as I didn’t like it and came back to the same university this year to study economics. The issue I’m having is I was not aware I had to re-enroll and missed the deadline, I was able to do my work on moodle and was attending my lectures and seminars but randomly recieved a email saying they have removed my student record with 0 warning. It is my fault this happened and they have closed my record and i contacted the university and they opened a case. They said from the admins perspective it looked like I wasn’t interested in attending, is there any hope for me? (They have already removed me from moodle and I no longer have a timetable on the website)
Original post by Hmalik26
Was wondering if someone can provide me with some guidance, I studied Electronic Engineering last year but left early as I didn’t like it and came back to the same university this year to study economics. The issue I’m having is I was not aware I had to re-enroll and missed the deadline, I was able to do my work on moodle and was attending my lectures and seminars but randomly recieved a email saying they have removed my student record with 0 warning. It is my fault this happened and they have closed my record and i contacted the university and they opened a case. They said from the admins perspective it looked like I wasn’t interested in attending, is there any hope for me? (They have already removed me from moodle and I no longer have a timetable on the website)

Did you just choose to switch to Economics yourself, or did you discuss this switch with the university before you left Electronic Engineering? Or at least before returning?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Did you just choose to switch to Economics yourself, or did you discuss this switch with the university before you left Electronic Engineering? Or at least before returning?

I left last year and managed to get into economics through clearing, was through ucas, had access to all the material on moodle and was also attending lectures, the issue arose when this morning I received a email saying I didn’t complete the essential enrolement steps and therefore they closed my record, but I had no prior warning saying they where going to do this. They passed my enquiry to the student services team but it’s the weekend and naturally I’m extremely stressed. Thanks for the response
I left last year and managed to get into economics through clearing, was through ucas, had access to all the material on moodle and was also attending lectures, the issue arose when this morning I received a email saying I didn’t complete the essential enrolement steps and therefore they closed my record, but I had no prior warning saying they where going to do this. They passed my enquiry to the student services team but it’s the weekend and naturally I’m extremely stressed. Thanks for the response

Understood. So the fact that you were previously at the same university studying Electronic Engineering seems irrelevant.

You applied for Economics through Clearing, were successful in gaining a place, but then didn't actually enroll at the university. The university assumed that you'd changed your mind and gone elsewhere (which happens a lot).

It sounds like a simple adminstrative thing that they should be able to sort out, although it might take them a few days. So in answer to your "is there any hope for me?" question, yes there is!

You say that "they opened a case". Have they given you any indication as to what the process will be now, or how long it might take to resolve?

I assume, by the way, they you're not in university accommodation?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. So the fact that you were previously at the same university studying Electronic Engineering seems irrelevant.

You applied for Economics through Clearing, were successful in gaining a place, but then didn't actually enroll at the university. The university assumed that you'd changed your mind and gone elsewhere (which happens a lot).

It sounds like a simple adminstrative thing that they should be able to sort out, although it might take them a few days. So in answer to your "is there any hope for me?" question, yes there is!

You say that "they opened a case". Have they given you any indication as to what the process will be now, or how long it might take to resolve?

I assume, by the way, they you're not in university accommodation?

I commute from home. When ucas had accepted me through clearing I thought that was all I had to do and I had my place, and as I previously mentioned I was attending my lectures and also doing the work the professors set.

They told me it will take upto 5 days for the student services team to review the case and make a decision but I’m just extremely worried as I am no longer able to see the timetable, and I am no longer able to access the work on moodle (had stuff due Tuesday) just scared they won’t reverse it and I have to wait till next year. Also don’t like how they ended the email “Best wishes in your future endeavours”

Regarding your statement “The university assumed that you'd changed your mind and gone elsewhere (which happens a lot).” Ive been submitting my work and also attending the lectures, so I was wondering if they truly thought this.

Thanks
You have to enroll every year at university even if you simply progress.

I would go consult the students union & ask them to advocate for you, essentially you are asking them to forgive your naivety. The administrative issue may also be financial (especially if you are funded by SFE) and I don’t know what hoops need to be resolved there rather then just your enrollment.

I would keep on it every day- and act very politely & with urgency, and also ask for a meeting with the course director to see if they can help support.

As a general point, you will need to be more proactive in taking responsibility for your life - you are now at university not school. People will fast become less forgiving of these mistakes as you get older.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
You have to enroll every year at university even if you simply progress.

I would go consult the students union & ask them to advocate for you, essentially you are asking them to forgive your naivety. The administrative issue may also be financial (especially if you are funded by SFE) and I don’t know what hoops need to be resolved there rather then just your enrollment.

I would keep on it every day- and act very politely & with urgency, and also ask for a meeting with the course director to see if they can help support.

As a general point, you will need to be more proactive in taking responsibility for your life - you are now at university not school. People will fast become less forgiving of these mistakes as you get older.

Yeah you are correct, it’s my fault it happened I just genuinely wasn’t aware but I learnt the lesson. I am self funded so I’m not sure if the financing is the issue, I can pay the full amount for the first term soon as they allow me back in but I just genuinely made a mistake.

That being said my only issue seems to be enrollment, I have been keeping on top of the work, but I’m just scared this small mistake will cost me a year.
Yeah you are correct, it’s my fault it happened I just genuinely wasn’t aware but I learnt the lesson. I am self funded so I’m not sure if the financing is the issue, I can pay the full amount for the first term soon as they allow me back in but I just genuinely made a mistake.

That being said my only issue seems to be enrollment, I have been keeping on top of the work, but I’m just scared this small mistake will cost me a year.

This should hopefully simplify the amount of issues, there is generally a line in the sand at every university as to when you would have to stop enrolling students. If this has not past I suspect you may well be alright, if this has past you may well be looking at sitting a semester out or hoping for a lot of good will.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
This should hopefully simplify the amount of issues, there is generally a line in the sand at every university as to when you would have to stop enrolling students. If this has not past I suspect you may well be alright, if this has past you may well be looking at sitting a semester out or hoping for a lot of good will.

There was a mention of a late enrolment £300 fee on the website so I’m hoping to potentially just pay that, the university’s deadline was 6th October, there was some confusion and it’s been a week since the deadline hit, do you think the late enrolment fee would be plausible?
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending