The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Year abroad options at University of Bath?

I’m an offer holder for BA International Politics and Modern Languages and am considering firming Bath, but the only thing I’m not sure about is the year abroad… I’ve looked through the whole course page and the year abroad page but I can’t really find any clear information about where I could go for my course specifically.

My chosen language is Mandarin, so I assume it would be something in either China, Hong Kong, or Singapore, but as far as I’ve seen, this isn’t clarified anywhere.
If it’s a study exchange/ placement, I’d also like to know which universities this could be at!

If anyone could give me any information about this or point me in the right direction to find out, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you :smile:)
(edited 2 years ago)
maybe try emailing the department for year abroad or languages or something like that
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
It isnt a named 'with Study Abroad' course but its still worth you emaiing the Study Abroad office to find out if you could still do this - [email protected], 01225 385067
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
It isnt a named 'with Study Abroad' course but its still worth you emaiing the Study Abroad office to find out if you could still do this - [email protected], 01225 385067

Yeah, it doesn’t have ‘with year abroad’ in the course title but it is described as ‘4 years including year abroad’, and the course structure has a compulsory year abroad in 3rd year!
Thank you, I’ll try emailing them :smile:
Original post by cocobeldam
I’m an offer holder for BA International Politics and Modern Languages and am considering firming Bath, but the only thing I’m not sure about is the year abroad… I’ve looked through the whole course page and the year abroad page but I can’t really find any clear information about where I could go for my course specifically.

My chosen language is Mandarin, so I assume it would be something in either China, Hong Kong, or Singapore, but as far as I’ve seen, this isn’t clarified anywhere.
If it’s a study exchange/ placement, I’d also like to know which universities this could be at!

If anyone could give me any information about this or point me in the right direction to find out, I would really appreciate it!

Hello,

Congratulations on your offer.

Have you seen this website link? It includes further information on both the work placements and study exchange options.

https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/discover-the-year-abroad-on-our-language-undergraduate-degrees/

Also, if you haven't already, you will hopefully soon receive an invite to an Applicant Visit Day. This will enable you to meet current staff/students for your program, and you could ask more detailed questions on the year abroad opportunities.

Hope this helps and please do ask if you have any further questions.

James
Final Year Student
Hi omg we are doing the same course and language!!! And same, I have been trying to find information on placements abroad for those Studying Chinese but it's very vague. The only thing I could obtain was the list of Bath's International Partners but it placed the department of Politics and International Studies into Chile, Argentina and Russia. I could find the list of universities in China, Singapore and Taiwan but they didn't have Politics under them so I was quite confused. I'm going to the offer holder day on 9th April so I hope to ask the people there about it.
small world!! my daughter is looking at this course for 2023 entry, so interested in the the replies too

any top tips on how to get an offer? Her EPQ is on Chinese social policy but she isn't sure what else to put in her personal statement
Original post by LittleSkink
small world!! my daughter is looking at this course for 2023 entry, so interested in the the replies too

any top tips on how to get an offer? Her EPQ is on Chinese social policy but she isn't sure what else to put in her personal statement

hi!!! firstly, i hope your daughter gets an offer! the fact that she is doing her EPQ on Chinese social policy is already fantastic and something she can mention in her personal statement. Personally, I centred my personal statement on politics and relating my interests to it, and then explaining how the subjects I take can benefit me. I put in some stuff about how I enjoy Mandarin as a language and how important Chinese politics is globally. So, the entire statement doesn't need to be wholly academically-centric. Try to include a paragraph on your daughter's hobbies etc. Hope this helps!
Original post by cocobeldam

hi!!!!!!!! btw since i just joined i cant message privately until i post 2 posts in a forum and been active for 3 days, so do u have any socmed i can reach u on!!!! i'd love to talk u!!!
Reply 9
Original post by mahifromspace
hi!!!!!!!! btw since i just joined i cant message privately until i post 2 posts in a forum and been active for 3 days, so do u have any socmed i can reach u on!!!! i'd love to talk u!!!

ohh yeah sure, can you see my messages at least? i can send you my instagram there!
Original post by LittleSkink

There is good advice here about how to incoporate extra reading / ideas into a PS - https://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/files/page/supercurricular_guide.pdf
I have received an offer for Economics with a Placement year starting in 2022 at Bath! I don’t think I’m so keen on the placement year anymore and instead a year abroad sounds exciting. Ideally, I would opt for somewhere in France having done GCSE French and it’s close by. The Bath Uni website mentions places like Grenoble, Paris and Lyon. Are there any others not mentioned on the website (preferably in the south of France)?
Original post by Sachi1006
Ideally, I would opt for somewhere in France having done GCSE French and it’s close by. The Bath Uni website mentions places like Grenoble, Paris and Lyon. Are there any others not mentioned on the website (preferably in the south of France)?

These destinations can change depending on the aggreements Bath is able to make with other Unis - so its a bit difficult to predict in advance.
You can email the relevant offce at Bath but they may not be able to tell you anything definite - [email protected], tel 01225 385067

Quick Reply

Latest