The Student Room Group

Choosing firm and insurance

I am trying to decided between Aston and Reading for marketing. Does anyone have advice? I want to make an informed decision
Original post by Dub Barron
I am trying to decided between Aston and Reading for marketing. Does anyone have advice? I want to make an informed decision

Which course do you prefer? Compare the modules for all years of the course and think about which optional modules would interest you. Are you able to do a placement as this adds a lot to your graduate CV?

Then look at location and consider accommodation cost and availability, ease of travel, entertainment/clubs/societies, etc.
Original post by Dub Barron

Visit both and come to your conclusion. What suits one person wont another. Aston is close to the centre of a massive city. Is that right for you or would you prefer the smaller city of Reading.
Reply 3
(Original post by swanseajack1)Visit both and come to your conclusion. What suits one person wont another. Aston is close to the centre of a massive city. Is that right for you or would you prefer the smaller city of Reading.

I have been there and like both cities. I personally just see cities as less important as long as they are secure enough and have shops which i have observed in both cities
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Which course do you prefer? Compare the modules for all years of the course and think about which optional modules would interest you. Are you able to do a placement as this adds a lot to your graduate CV?

Then look at location and consider accommodation cost and availability, ease of travel, entertainment/clubs/societies, etc.

Thank you for the advice. The modules look kind of similar to me and both universities have a good reputation. I am kind of leaning to Reading but I want to make a balanced choice. I am not a very active person so the societies I have looked into at both universities look new and fun to me
What factors do you see as important?
Reply 6
Employability. Quality of the lesson. Social life. Facilities and affordable prices.
Hello @Dub Barron!

Many congrats on your offers for Marketing from Aston and Reading. I just thought I'd jump in here as a former Bath student who was in a very similar situation a few years ago, choosing between 2 closely-ranked universities! I completely understand choosing a university is not an easy decision and there's so much to think about. Some really good advice on here already, but just thought I would share a few of the factors which drew me to choosing bath as my firm rather than my second choice you may want to think about if you have not already:

Placements and study abroad? When I was choosing a university course I was drawn by the fact that Bath's course offered a year-long work placement, which is a great thing to have on the CV in terms of future employability. Having done a placement, I not only had a much better idea of what I wanted to do after my degree, I had the industry connection which I eventually followed up to secure a job after graduating. If employability is important to you and this would be of interest then its definitely worth checking out what the placement options are for Aston and Reading.

Cost of living? If you have visited both cities and seen that there are shops and other places that appeal to you, and you are confident that you would enjoy life in both, then it might be worth checking out the cost of living in the area. You could do this by checking out the supermarket prices there online if possible, chatting to current students about what they usually spend each week on food etc (Aston and Reading may offer a 'chat to our student' option on their website you could use if you wish), and comparing the average student rent prices in the area. This page by Save the Student have a really handy tool where you can compare the average rent at different UK universities - see if you can spot where Reading and Aston are :smile:

Student satisfaction and research quality? You may have already seen this, but the Complete University Guide is a really handy tool to filter university league tables by things like graduate prospects, student satisfaction and research quality etc, within your subject. Clicking on the different universities leads to a neat but detailed overview of that university's standing in the league tables for different factors as well as other interesting stats about the university.

Its great that you've reached out and I hope some of that is helpful to you - very best of luck in your next steps whichever university you choose :smile:. Please feel free to post any further questions you have on here!

Holly
University of Bath
Reply 8
Original post by University of Bath
Hello @Dub Barron!

Many congrats on your offers for Marketing from Aston and Reading. I just thought I'd jump in here as a former Bath student who was in a very similar situation a few years ago, choosing between 2 closely-ranked universities! I completely understand choosing a university is not an easy decision and there's so much to think about. Some really good advice on here already, but just thought I would share a few of the factors which drew me to choosing bath as my firm rather than my second choice you may want to think about if you have not already:

Placements and study abroad? When I was choosing a university course I was drawn by the fact that Bath's course offered a year-long work placement, which is a great thing to have on the CV in terms of future employability. Having done a placement, I not only had a much better idea of what I wanted to do after my degree, I had the industry connection which I eventually followed up to secure a job after graduating. If employability is important to you and this would be of interest then its definitely worth checking out what the placement options are for Aston and Reading.

Cost of living? If you have visited both cities and seen that there are shops and other places that appeal to you, and you are confident that you would enjoy life in both, then it might be worth checking out the cost of living in the area. You could do this by checking out the supermarket prices there online if possible, chatting to current students about what they usually spend each week on food etc (Aston and Reading may offer a 'chat to our student' option on their website you could use if you wish), and comparing the average student rent prices in the area. This page by Save the Student have a really handy tool where you can compare the average rent at different UK universities - see if you can spot where Reading and Aston are :smile:

Student satisfaction and research quality? You may have already seen this, but the Complete University Guide is a really handy tool to filter university league tables by things like graduate prospects, student satisfaction and research quality etc, within your subject. Clicking on the different universities leads to a neat but detailed overview of that university's standing in the league tables for different factors as well as other interesting stats about the university.

Its great that you've reached out and I hope some of that is helpful to you - very best of luck in your next steps whichever university you choose :smile:. Please feel free to post any further questions you have on here!

Holly
University of Bath

Thank you very much this is helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending