The Student Room Group

The idea of Asian fishing doesn’t make sense

Okay so I just watched this YouTuber called Miiasaurous on YouTube and I wanted to see what peoples opinions are of the concept of ‘Asian fishing’.

Disclaimer: I am Asian (west Asian)

Right so my only issue with this whole concept is that we are stereotyping Asians to look a certain way. This is due to how people will comment “You are Asian fishing” on a non-Asian individuals post because they have mono-lids or a “slanted” eye shape. Now this is basically doing the complete opposite of what its meant to do… so you are telling me that because someone has a mono-lid they are automatically Asian (is that not stereotyping?). Also, there are so many different types of Asians e.g. East Asians, south Asians, west Asians etc. So how does it make sense to call the whole thing ‘Asian-fishing’ when people are only referring to East Asians?

I want to see what other peoples opinions are because the whole idea of Asian fishing is so useless because it doesn’t do Asians any justice anyways
The tiktok and instagram users that started the term probably got the idea as an extension of catfishing with photos.
Catfishing by copying the look of an asian celebrity.
Or the use of makeup/filters/cosmetic surgery to obtain the appearance of some elements of physiognomy widespread within certain asian communities and done for the purpose of misleading strangers online into believing that they had some asian ancestry.
It's following on from the term "blackfishing" which is where non-black people deliberately adopt not only black mannerisms and hair styles, but cake on dark foundation in order to make themselves appear ambiguously black. See for example: the entire Kardashian family. There is also "brownfishing" which is a slightly more general term which refers to the same practice but as applied to a lot of ethnicities. For example, Ariana Grande's ambiguously Latina look, while being resolutely white (compare her now to what she looked like back in Nickolodeon days). "Asian fishing" is then the logical extension of these. Alternate terms that might apply are blackface, brownface, and yellowface, although these tend to be more explicitly negative caricatures to mock different ethnicities.

While I take your point that "Asian" is a somewhat nebulous term and there are lots of different Asian ethnicities and cultures, for better or worse westerners tend to associate the term "Asian" primarily with East Asia. But that doesn't change the fact western (white) people are deliberately trying to co-opt East Asian aesthetics for social (and sometimes, actual) capital which is definitely an issue that needs to be considered. Splitting hairs about terminology is somewhat counter productive in this regard as in the meantime sooner or later they may well try and do the same thing with e.g. South Asian ethnic features or cultural traditions.

Your objection is basically a circular "whataboutism" which deflects from the actual issue by claiming those pointing out this fundamentally appropriative if not outright racist trend are themselves racist, in the process giving a free pass to the actual people doing it!
Original post by artful_lounger
It's following on from the term "blackfishing" which is where non-black people deliberately adopt not only black mannerisms and hair styles, but cake on dark foundation in order to make themselves appear ambiguously black. See for example: the entire Kardashian family. There is also "brownfishing" which is a slightly more general term which refers to the same practice but as applied to a lot of ethnicities. For example, Ariana Grande's ambiguously Latina look, while being resolutely white (compare her now to what she looked like back in Nickolodeon days). "Asian fishing" is then the logical extension of these. Alternate terms that might apply are blackface, brownface, and yellowface, although these tend to be more explicitly negative caricatures to mock different ethnicities.

While I take your point that "Asian" is a somewhat nebulous term and there are lots of different Asian ethnicities and cultures, for better or worse westerners tend to associate the term "Asian" primarily with East Asia. But that doesn't change the fact western (white) people are deliberately trying to co-opt East Asian aesthetics for social (and sometimes, actual) capital which is definitely an issue that needs to be considered. Splitting hairs about terminology is somewhat counter productive in this regard as in the meantime sooner or later they may well try and do the same thing with e.g. South Asian ethnic features or cultural traditions.

Your objection is basically a circular "whataboutism" which deflects from the actual issue by claiming those pointing out this fundamentally appropriative if not outright racist trend are themselves racist, in the process giving a free pass to the actual people doing it!

I'm not on board with this whole "ambiguously black" thing. The OG Kardashians look pretty much exactly like what they are - Armenians with flashy modern make-up. If you look at the dad, he wasn't what you'd call pale skinned and Kim and Kourtney look more or less like I would have thought they would. Khloe doesn't count because she's OJ's daughter - and the younger ones (and to a lesser extent the mum) are copying the older girls to get on-brand.

If anyone looks at Kim Kardashian and thinks she might be a black woman, that says more about how light-skinned people who call themselves "black" are nowadays, rather than the other way around.
Reply 4
yeah also the whole asian fishing thing flared up with Ariana Grande doing cat eye eyeliner, and people were all like 'she's trying to look asian' but it's total ********
Original post by artful_lounger

Hmm idk, i dont rlly agree with ur point about how im deflecting the issue of ‘Asian fishing’. I am suggesting that we should collectively use the word ‘East Asian fishing’ or maybe instead of giving it a name, we can just call out people (like Ariana grande) to stop doing this practice.
Reply 6
Original post by Immaculatevibes
Hmm idk, i dont rlly agree with ur point about how im deflecting the issue of ‘Asian fishing’. I am suggesting that we should collectively use the word ‘East Asian fishing’ or maybe instead of giving it a name, we can just call out people (like Ariana grande) to stop doing this practice.

Do you think Ariana Grande really was east asian fishing by doing cat eye?? U just liked my post where I said that was ridiculous. It's just teardown culture against a successful young woman, largely started by rando twitter users who weren't even east asian...
Original post by grap
Do you think Ariana Grande really was east asian fishing by doing cat eye?? U just liked my post where I said that was ridiculous. It's just teardown culture against a successful young woman, largely started by rando twitter users who weren't even east asian...

Not really, i dont think she’s even come close to East Asian fishing but the user that i quoted had mentioned her so i was reiterating their point
I think lighting, hairstyles etc have an impact on one’s look. E.g Ariana has this picture where she looks like she has mono-lids however upon close inspection you can tell that it is 100% the lighting and her hairstyle (ponytail). When i put my hair up in a ponytail, my eyes are slanted slightly because of how tight i pull the hair up. Obviously Ariana has this whole thing where she wears the ponytail 24/7 so it makes sense that sometimes her eyes look slightly slanted.
Reply 8
Original post by Immaculatevibes
Not really, i dont think she’s even come close to East Asian fishing but the user that i quoted had mentioned her so i was reiterating their point
I think lighting, hairstyles etc have an impact on one’s look. E.g Ariana has this picture where she looks like she has mono-lids however upon close inspection you can tell that it is 100% the lighting and her hairstyle (ponytail). When i put my hair up in a ponytail, my eyes are slanted slightly because of how tight i pull the hair up. Obviously Ariana has this whole thing where she wears the ponytail 24/7 so it makes sense that sometimes her eyes look slightly slanted.

haha so basically what people are describing is a croydon facelift...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon_facelift
I grew up in southern Africa and I know a lot of black people with mono lid eyes it's a very normal thing

Quick Reply

Latest