The Student Room Group

Moving abroad or staying at home?

I have a dilemma. For the past year or two I have had my mind set on moving over to England (as a Northern Irish resident) and I recently visited my number 1 school, Falmouth, and ******* loved it there!!! But all of a sudden I've been getting major doubts on if I should just stay here. I love my life here, my town, friends, extracurricular etc and i have tonnes of friends that ho to the uni id be going to here.
I don't doubt that I could make the best out of any situation n make new friends anywhere in the world but do I really want to leave it all behind? Is the idea of a fancier school and the excitement of new places worth it for the next 4 years? It's not necessarily that my life is superr stable here or anything I'm just wondering if the idea of "if it's not broken don't fix it" applies here or not. Any input is appreciated!!!
Reply 1
I deeply regret moving away from home when I was younger. I ended up falling in love, getting married and life getting in the way until I couldn't go back anymore. Obviously It was a dream of mine to travel and if someone said what I just wrote above, I would have thought they were crazy to project their life onto my fresh opportunity :biggrin:.

Saying that, it is great to travel and have new experiences. Ireland is close enough that if the home sick bug bites, you can find a way home. Also the first few years, when you move away and go back to your hometown, people are so excited to Welcome you back.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Oh rats!
I have a dilemma. For the past year or two I have had my mind set on moving over to England (as a Northern Irish resident) and I recently visited my number 1 school, Falmouth, and ******* loved it there!!! But all of a sudden I've been getting major doubts on if I should just stay here. I love my life here, my town, friends, extracurricular etc and i have tonnes of friends that ho to the uni id be going to here.
I don't doubt that I could make the best out of any situation n make new friends anywhere in the world but do I really want to leave it all behind? Is the idea of a fancier school and the excitement of new places worth it for the next 4 years? It's not necessarily that my life is superr stable here or anything I'm just wondering if the idea of "if it's not broken don't fix it" applies here or not. Any input is appreciated!!!

Hi there, that is a really difficult decision to make, but it is good to hear that you have started to explore your different options.

Regrading your school/ University, make sure you research it thoroughly and ensure the University appeals to you.

Even thought your University course may last for 4 years, it does not mean you will be at University for all 4 years. The term breaks at University are much longer than sixth form, hence it is always a possibility for visiting your family.

(Northern Ireland is not too far from England, so if you can always visit your family and friends when you get homesick). There are always many students coming to University from foreign countries, I am sure you will settle in just fine! :smile:

I think you can try listing out your reasons for going to England for University, then you can come back to when you find you are having doubts. Organising your thoughts down on paper can help you sort through your ideas a bit more.

The opportunity to travel and study somewhere else is really exciting and it will mean getting to experience a new range of activities. But take your time to decide what is for and what isn't for you. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending