The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

Hi! I’ve recently applied to some universities in England like University of Manchester, University College London and etc. When I was writing my personal statement I’ve copied some sentences of a previous letter of a friend. Yesterday i received a notification that some similarities have been detected. The percentage is 32% UCAS has informed the universities about that plagiarism. Do you think there is still a chance for me to be given a chance to write a new personal statement? Or I just should let it like that? Do I have to contact the universities? Please tell me what should I do!
Reply 1
Well, you simply shouldn't have copied off of your friend - that is plagiarism. The universities will now have a look at your personal statement and assess, themselves, whether they think the similarities detected is plagiarism or merely a coincidence. With it being 32% (that's relatively high in my opinion) I don't think they will shrug it off... Plagiarism is a serious breach of academic integrity and is not tolerated. I hope you learn not to do this in the future whether in applications or academic work!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by coco:)
Well, you simply shouldn't have copied off of your friend - that is plagiarism. The universities will now have a look at your personal statement and assess themselves whether they think the similarities detected is plagiarism or merely a coincidence. With it being 32% (that's relatively high in my opinion) I don't think they will shrug it off... Plagiarism is a serious breach of academic integrity and is not tolerated. I hope you learn not to do this in the future whether in applications or academic work!

Yes this is all very true. It may be possible that all the unis you've applied to this year will reject you simply due to using your friends words in your personal statement. Unfortunately it's too late to edit your personal statement now and once rejected there's virtually no way of getting into that uni.

I hope you use this as a learning curve and don't repeat it in the future.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you a lot! Do you think some universities would give me a chance to rewrite my ps. Because, in my opinion it’s not relatively high as I wrote about completely different program
You didn't need to create 3 threads about this, but yes it's plagiarism and some unis may reject you because of it
Original post by Marinahr
Thank you a lot! Do you think some universities would give me a chance to rewrite my ps. Because, in my opinion it’s not relatively high as I wrote about completely different program

I very much doubt it as unis take plagiarism very seriously. Plagiarism is plagiarism no matter how much you have copied. You'd be lucky to be able to apply next year.
Reply 6
Because UCAS wrote that if there is more than 30 then you are informed. My percentage is 32% which is two above. But if I contact them, wouldn’t they just give me a chance to write again? And I created 3 threads accidentally. I didn’t know how to make them but now I know
Because UCAS wrote that if there is more than 30 then you are informed. My percentage is 32% which is two above. But if I contact them, wouldn’t they just give me a chance to write again? And I created 3 threads accidentally. I didn’t know how to make them but now I know

I genuinely don't think they would. The best thing to do is move on from here and focus on your studies. You could reapply next year with a new personal statement but please ensure you don't copy anyone elses under any circumstance.

It may be only two above 30 but its still plagiarism
Reply 9
You are right. Should I contact the universities to inform them that I’m really sorry and at least to see if they can still give me a chance to do a new one?
Reply 10

I don't think they will - you've applied to Manchester and UCL which are pretty competitive. I don't know what course you have applied to but I doubt they will on the basis that you copied off of a friend and now want to change it because you only now realise the consequences. Also, I'm not very sure but this may affect future applications if they keep a record, hopefully for your sake it doesn't but I hope you've learnt to not do this again.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
I’ve applied to the biology course and the other universities are, Birmingham with biology and New Castle and Nottingham with agriculture
Reply 12
Are they competitive?
Are they competitive?

Regardless of whether they are or not, unfortunately you've almost certainly ruined your chances of getting into university this year.
You could perhaps get in through clearing but as myself and others have said it'd be highly doubtful for you to get a place with your application this year.

I'm so sorry to have to tell you this but I don't want to lie to you about your circumstance :frown:

It's best to accept you're going to receive all rejections, concentrate on your studies and move on.
Best wishes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Thank you!
Reply 15
People make mistakes in life. Learn from it and try and reapply next year if you have to. Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
I don’t know how to create threads but I’m just going to reply to this one. I also checked my UCAS and it was flagged with 32% but I most of what they flagged me for was what I saw on the nhs website because I want to study nursing😭. Kings told me to send evidence to show that I didn’t mean to plagiarise, so I sent a letter and evidence of my personal statement draft. Do you think that’s enough for them to realise that I didn’t intentionally try to copy anyones work or am I just going to have have to say bye to university this year 😭
Reply 17
Thank you!

I'm at the same position, can I ask you whether you got accepted or rejected from the unis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending