The Student Room Group

does taking a gap year make it harder to make friends

do people who take a gap year feel awkward about being a little older? ik one year is not much but when youve just left school it feels like a lot.

and will people be a bit awkward talking to you?

im doing an art foundation before starting a non-art course in uni (just bc art is my passion) so its not like i'll have travelling stories to talk about
Original post by mymelo
do people who take a gap year feel awkward about being a little older? ik one year is not much but when youve just left school it feels like a lot.

im doing an art foundation before starting a non-art course in uni (just bc art is my passion) so its not like i'll have travelling stories to talk about

Some people look older than others anyway so people wont notice unless you tell them, and I doubt people would feel that awkward - some people in the same year at school are almost a year in age apart and that’s not awkward. I think you’ll be fine :smile:
Hello :smile:

It does not feel awkward at all! I decided on a one-year student exchange, thus extending my education for another year. I had many fears and doubts, but an extra year was not one of them. A year difference does not change anything in relationships with people, and even allows you to establish more relationships. I am friends with both younger and older people. Age differences are imperceptible when you find common ground and vibe with people.

Take care,

Julia :h:
Reply 3
I took a gap year !! And nearly my entire friendship group ended up being the same age as me :smile: were super close and it’s not hard to make friends w people slightly older or younger than you
Original post by mymelo

My partner took a gap year and it makes literally no difference because at the end of the day it is one year. There are often people who start university as late as up to 30! Sometimes even older. Seriously, there is nothing to worry about when taking a gap year for university!

Hope this helps

Dominic
Lancaser University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest