The Student Room Group

Kent or Essex ?!

so I currently am doing my a-level and got 2 conditional offers from the university of kent and the University of Essex, really confused to pick between them. the course is international business BSc for kent and the same course with finance for Essex. I went through modules and I'm really unable to decide. I would appreciate it so very much if someone minded helping me make a decision!!
Original post by Anonymous
so I currently am doing my a-level and got 2 conditional offers from the university of kent and the University of Essex, really confused to pick between them. the course is international business BSc for kent and the same course with finance for Essex. I went through modules and I'm really unable to decide. I would appreciate it so very much if someone minded helping me make a decision!!

Hey there!

I have the unique position where I am from Colchester (where a University of Essex campus is), and I study at the University of Kent - I looked at both Universities, and this is how I came to the conclusion.

Both places have really great history - Colchester is the UK's oldest town and was the previous capital of the UK. Canterbury has of course, the world famous cathedral, and loads of pubs and buildings which have been around for hundreds of years. The question is, what kind of area do you want to live in? The University of Kent has several bars, restaurants and clubs on campus, and with a short walk down the hill you're in the city where there's so many places to go, things to do, places to drink and eat (Which you can see my favourites here)! I don't want to unfairly speak of UoE, but my experience of Colchester is that public transportation exists, but the roads are very busy so it takes a long time to get into town where everything is, meaning you could be stuck on the campus.

It's really great that you have looked at the course modules, that's usually my go-to recommendation for unsure students. The University of Kent is a highly recognised school, and the Kent Business School (The school your course is within) recently received our 'triple crown' of accreditation, putting us in the top 1% of business schools worldwide. As a result of this, we receive various benefits which you can experience, such as access to the Chartered Management Institute’s (CMI) Level 5 Professional Certificate in Management and Leadership, and more. Of course, with all of this, our lecture and seminar staff are some of the best worldwide, with expertise across the field. Being apart of KBS you will have many opportunities to connect with businesses across the UK, and talk to professionals in the field. We have an exceptional alumna list who will be able to get you particular connections with companies, and offer you advice for whichever career you have in mind in the future.

I hope this information helps! Choosing your University is hard a choice to make :smile:
If you have any more questions, I'd love to help!

Nathan
UKC Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hey there!

I have the unique position where I am from Colchester (where a University of Essex campus is), and I study at the University of Kent - I looked at both Universities, and this is how I came to the conclusion.

Both places have really great history - Colchester is the UK's oldest town and was the previous capital of the UK. Canterbury has of course, the world famous cathedral, and loads of pubs and buildings which have been around for hundreds of years. The question is, what kind of area do you want to live in? The University of Kent has several bars, restaurants and clubs on campus, and with a short walk down the hill you're in the city where there's so many places to go, things to do, places to drink and eat (Which you can see my favourites here)! I don't want to unfairly speak of UoE, but my experience of Colchester is that public transportation exists, but the roads are very busy so it takes a long time to get into town where everything is, meaning you could be stuck on the campus.

It's really great that you have looked at the course modules, that's usually my go-to recommendation for unsure students. The University of Kent is a highly recognised school, and the Kent Business School (The school your course is within) recently received our 'triple crown' of accreditation, putting us in the top 1% of business schools worldwide. As a result of this, we receive various benefits which you can experience, such as access to the Chartered Management Institute’s (CMI) Level 5 Professional Certificate in Management and Leadership, and more. Of course, with all of this, our lecture and seminar staff are some of the best worldwide, with expertise across the field. Being apart of KBS you will have many opportunities to connect with businesses across the UK, and talk to professionals in the field. We have an exceptional alumna list who will be able to get you particular connections with companies, and offer you advice for whichever career you have in mind in the future.

I hope this information helps! Choosing your University is hard a choice to make :smile:
If you have any more questions, I'd love to help!

Nathan
UKC Rep

Hey, thank you for sharing your view and experience. As you said Kent is a bit away from the main city and the traffic is unreal, so it might take a lot of time to reach the city (if I'm not wrong) so does this also come between students trying to work part-time after uni hours?
Kent pleased me with the rankings and the recent triple crown accreditation as you mentioned; I am thinking of taking Kent as my firm choice but there's again a confusion of kent with Sussex. I've received all my offer letters now and deciding between kent Sussex and Essex.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, thank you for sharing your view and experience. As you said Kent is a bit away from the main city and the traffic is unreal, so it might take a lot of time to reach the city (if I'm not wrong) so does this also come between students trying to work part-time after uni hours?
Kent pleased me with the rankings and the recent triple crown accreditation as you mentioned; I am thinking of taking Kent as my firm choice but there's again a confusion of kent with Sussex. I've received all my offer letters now and deciding between kent Sussex and Essex.

Hey there :smile:

It was more UoE being far from town. The University of Kent is around a 3/5-minute bus journey, or a 15/20 minute walk from town. In terms of jobs, the city is built around students so there are lots of part-time and term-time roles available.

However, a better option is the University's work-study scheme. It's a scheme where there are various roles, some are time-tabled so you choose when you want to work, for example, helping out at open days, exams etc. But, they also have other part-time roles which are permanent - that's how I am talking to you! I am currently studying Marketing, and so they emailed me about a Digital Marketing Assistant role, and after applying, here I am.

All of the roles are very flexible, you can choose how much you work and when you work, and being a University they understand when times are busier than other, such as exam season. There's also a lot of remote roles (like mine), which make it really great too.

I hope that makes sense and helps :biggrin:

Nathan
UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending