The Student Room Group

Politics / IR - Glasgow or Strathclyde (others/ even Stirling)?

like the title really, they all seem decent . . .

Looking at 2023 entry course, interested in International Politics / IR. Keen there is placement / a year out

First choice Uni is sorted, but struggling with choices for an insurance Uni in the ABB/BBB ball park

Liking some of the Scottish Uni's but not been able to visit (who apparently can be a little more flexible to English students if you miss a grade)

thoughts?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
trying to answer my own question, done some more digging

Edinburgh has upped its grades for 2023 entry, so is now a non starter

Glasgow and Strathclyde haven't released grades yet, depending on who you ask, they both seem to have a decent reputation - based on last years entry requirements there isnt much between them

Stirling looks lovely but cant really compete for kudos
Hey there @LittleSkink :biggrin: Apologies, I've just seen your thread now! But really glad to hear you're considering Strathclyde, and that you're considering other Scottish unis too! :smile: Scotland is a fantastic place to be a student. Glasgow is a really student friendly city, it's friendly and diverse and there is so much for students to do here.

With our Politics & IR course there's a lot of flexibility within the degree (you may find similar at other Scottish universities). You'll pick 2 other subjects to study in your first year alongside Politics & IR, so that you can work out which areas you really enjoy and keep your studies broad at first. You then choose which subjects you prefer and want to keep moving through your degree. We're also in the top 10 for Politics (Complete University Guide League Tables 2022) :^_^: Classes may vary depending on which year you're joining us, but at the moment students electives can be in areas such as Scottish/European/American/Chinese Politics, as well as those based around War and Terrorism and Democracy too. You can study for up to one full year in Europe, North America, Australia and Hong Kong so there's some opportunities to travel further afield within the degree.

Strathclyde is a campus university located right in the heart of Glasgow, so if you like the look of Glasgow then you'd be really well placed as a student here. We have a modern campus with great facilities - such as our brand new Learning & Teaching Hub being the home of our new student's union. I know lots of our students love that new space. We're a welcoming campus with students from all over the world studying here and our accommodation is all located in our Student Village 5 minutes from your teaching areas too so it's easy to get around.

Hope some of this helps but let me know if I can answer anything else! When will you be starting university? :biggrin: And where will you be moving from? :smile:
Best of luck!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending