The Student Room Group

University of Oxford 2023 Undergraduate Applicants Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hello, 👋
Original post by David_Kip
Hello, 👋

Hello, how can we help you?
Hi Yueshi!
That is a great course to pursue. I would love to be part of your journey if you don't mind.
Original post by David_Kip
Hi Yueshi!
That is a great course to pursue. I would love to be part of your journey if you don't mind.

During the course of this year, we will all become part of each other’s journeys and we will make many friends along the way.
Hi! This thread looks like it could be quite helpful so i thought i would just pop something on here

Subject applying for ~ English and Spanish
College applying to ~ I have no idea yet! Hoping you guys can help me with this
A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ I am taking English Lit, Spanish, History and RS for AS, I will almost certainly drop RS for my A2s
Additional qualifications (if any) - I have teaching qualifications in Dance and I am working towards a piano diploma... don't think these will be of any relevance to my application but I thought I would mention them anyway
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ hmmm... I don't know what my official ones will be set as in September but I would assume A*A*A*...
GCSE grades - we are still doing grades over here with CCEA rather than numbers, so I got 10A*s
Why Oxford? ~ Well there are a lot of reasons, I have always wanted to go abroad for uni, even if I come back to NI, I want to experience that independence, so England/Scotland is the natural conclusion. Then choosing Oxford specifically, well I can't do English and Spanish at Cambridge so that's out😂, I have never really been in a challenging learning environment (oh my goodness that sounds bad, wait let me explain). Despite going to a school that has an entrance test and is meant to be somewhat higher than other schools in terms of results, there are very few people in my school/year who want to push themselves academically. There is a general apathy for actually learning, it has definitely become a culture at my school of just doing as little as you can to get a good grade, there is no want for actual education. I think an environment where there is an abundance of people who want to learn from each other and challenge each other is somewhere that i could thrive in? I hope this has made sense... I mean there is also the obvious thing of OXFORD IS SO PRETTY!!
State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ Again its a bit different in NI but I think state?? I'm not sure😅

Thank you all so much!!! (And good luck to all the other applicants who are working towards October)
Original post by cialuer
Hi! This thread looks like it could be quite helpful so i thought i would just pop something on here

A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ I am taking English Lit, Spanish, History and RS for AS, I will almost certainly drop RS for my A2s
Additional qualifications (if any) - I have teaching qualifications in Dance and I am working towards a piano diploma... don't think these will be of any relevance to my application but I thought I would mention them anyway
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ hmmm... I don't know what my official ones will be set as in September but I would assume A*A*A*...
GCSE grades - we are still doing grades over here with CCEA rather than numbers, so I got 10A*s
Why Oxford? ~ Well there are a lot of reasons, I have always wanted to go abroad for uni, even if I come back to NI, I want to experience that independence, so England/Scotland is the natural conclusion. Then choosing Oxford specifically, well I can't do English and Spanish at Cambridge so that's out😂, I have never really been in a challenging learning environment (oh my goodness that sounds bad, wait let me explain). Despite going to a school that has an entrance test and is meant to be somewhat higher than other schools in terms of results, there are very few people in my school/year who want to push themselves academically. There is a general apathy for actually learning, it has definitely become a culture at my school of just doing as little as you can to get a good grade, there is no want for actual education. I think an environment where there is an abundance of people who want to learn from each other and challenge each other is somewhere that i could thrive in? I hope this has made sense... I mean there is also the obvious thing of OXFORD IS SO PRETTY!!
State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ Again its a bit different in NI but I think state?? I'm not sure😅

Thank you all so much!!! (And good luck to all the other applicants who are working towards October)

Hi there

Welcome to this thread! You have no idea just how useful this thread will turn out to be between now and January!

The way I describe Oxford is Disneyland for those who want to work (in an academic sense). The courses are very detailed. If you are very very into your subject and will leave no stone unturned to find out more, Oxford may well be for you.

If you look up thread there is a Spanish Oxford demystified and a college one too.
Mi need to remember to post an English chapter though
Original post by aaq1
Oxford 2022 University-wide Open Days - To get a good idea of Oxford and whether it might be the university for you

Wednesday 29 June, Thursday 30 June, and Friday 16 September.

"These days offer an ideal opportunity for you to explore Oxford, find out more about our courses, tour colleges, and quiz tutors and students. The secret to open days is definitely planning, so do explore all the information given here."

Perfect advice
Reply 67
Hello,

I'm considering taking ANOTHER gap year and possibly reapplying to Oxford. Does anyone have any experience or advice around reapplication?
Original post by mcm0
Hello,

I'm considering taking ANOTHER gap year and possibly reapplying to Oxford. Does anyone have any experience or advice around reapplication?

Please see Oxford demystified chapter making a successful reapplication. It’s posted by me
Hi, I have a question about A Level grades this year. Because of the teacher assessment at GCSE I’m sure unis are paying much closer attention to A Levels than in past years. I’ve heard that particularly in STEM subjects in this current application round those with 4 alevels e.g A*A*AA were selected over those with A*A*A* at top universities. Obviously this wouldn’t be displayed on their websites but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything similar and in particularly for Law which is what I’m considering applying for this year.

I’m currently on 4 and am unsure if to drop to 3 and risk 3A*s being looked at less favourably than had I stuck it out with 4 and gotten A*A*A*A or A*A*AA. If I were to drop to 3 I’d do an EPQ, but do understand that this may be less favourable than 4 Alevels.

To summarise my very long argument, I’m not sure if 3A*s is better than the circumstances I gave above simply because of this cycle of admissions. If anyone has any insight that would be wonderful thank you!
anyone applying for law and which college are you choosing?
Hi! My name is Jen, I am an international student from Hong Kong who started studying in the UK since year 10. Here are some details about me:

Subject applying for ~ PPE
College applying to ~ Haven't decided, but likely to be between Exeter/Somerville/Queens
A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ Politics, Economics, History, Mathematics
Additional qualifications (if any) - EPQ
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ 4A*
Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ nine 9s, three 8s, HPQ A* (50/50)
Why Oxford? ~ Insanely in love with the way it outlines the PPE course and offers so many options which were not given at other unis
Why that college? (if you know why) ~ housing is CORE for me, I have to ensure they MUST guarantee three years of residency otherwise it'll be huge trouble to me. The atmosphere is important to me
State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ Independent

I am not so sure about the grades but hopefully, they should be fine. Interview is a big issue for me since English is like my second/third language? Would also like to hear if anyone decides on their college based on the professor/tutor who is associated with the college. I am likely to start prepping for TSA when July begins so that leaves me plenty of time to prepare and gear up
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by sofiavxx
Hi, I have a question about A Level grades this year. Because of the teacher assessment at GCSE I’m sure unis are paying much closer attention to A Levels than in past years. I’ve heard that particularly in STEM subjects in this current application round those with 4 alevels e.g A*A*AA were selected over those with A*A*A* at top universities. Obviously this wouldn’t be displayed on their websites but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything similar and in particularly for Law which is what I’m considering applying for this year.

I’m currently on 4 and am unsure if to drop to 3 and risk 3A*s being looked at less favourably than had I stuck it out with 4 and gotten A*A*A*A or A*A*AA. If I were to drop to 3 I’d do an EPQ, but do understand that this may be less favourable than 4 Alevels.

To summarise my very long argument, I’m not sure if 3A*s is better than the circumstances I gave above simply because of this cycle of admissions. If anyone has any insight that would be wonderful thank you!

Please do not waste your time doing 4 a levels. For the Oxford law course you only need to meet their offer. My son got into medicine with only a*aa ( the required grades). Focussing on too many subjects may have a detrimental effect on your results overall.

they will be much more interested in your self directed study ( research you do at home). Your epq may help with this. Pick a topic that interests you ( the more unusual and obscure,the better) and enjoy really getting into your subject!
Original post by cialuer

Ooh whilst I remember apply to Exeter college for Spanish because they have links with the Spanish royal family. The present king and queen do visit the college occasionally ( when my son was there he caught a glimpse of the now ex queen Sofia). Sophia gifted the college a Spanish scholarship so it may even be worth your while financially.

The library even has Catherine of Arrogan’s prayer book

Here is the Oxford Demystified choosing a college chapter

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6468778&p=88379572#post88379572
(edited 1 year ago)
I’ve heard that particularly in STEM subjects in this current application round those with 4 alevels e.g A*A*AA were selected over those with A*A*A* at top universities. Obviously this wouldn’t be displayed on their websites but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything similar

No, that's not how it works. If they preferred 4 A levels they would say so clearly on the website. Please don't make things up and/or propagate urban myths - all it does is to put people who are perfectly well-qualified off from applying.

It's worth being aware that many, many people make up "it wasn't me it was them" reasons for not getting into Oxbridge to make themselves feel better about it. Everything from "I had the wrong accent" to "I don't play the right sport" to, yes, "there's a secret selection system where actually you need 4 A levels, they lie in public that they prefer 3 top grades." Sure there will be people who got in with A*A*AA and people who didn't get in with A*A*A*, but that isn't because they secretly prefer 4 A levels, it's because they take individual circumstances into account and an A grade candidate whose third A level has been taught by a string of poorly qualified supply teachers may well be more able than an A* grade candidate who has been taught by a pair of highly qualified graduates in the subject. If someone doesn't get into Oxbridge despite meeting the requirements, it isn't because of a secret rule they didn't know they had to follow, it's because they were considered by the people making the decisions to be less able than the people who did get in.
Original post by mcm0
Hello,

hey!!!! im basically in a super similar situation. I already took a gap year due to financial constraints, but ill be at another uni at the time of applying. Best of luck, would love to keep in touch with u!
Sup everyone,

I plan on applying to Trinity for Medicine for a 2023 entry.
GCSEs: 8A*1A
A-levels: Predicted 4A*
I'm working hard for a solid BMAT and interview, though we'll have to see.

I decided to apply for Oxford as I like the location, architecture and the style of course they offer. It also helps that it is often rated as one of the best universities in the world for studying medicine. I chose trinity college for its contemporary style, decent accommodation and 24/7 stunning library. Wish me luck guys.
Original post by quagmiretoilet
Sup everyone,

I plan on applying to Trinity for Medicine for a 2023 entry.
GCSEs: 8A*1A
A-levels: Predicted 4A*
I'm working hard for a solid BMAT and interview, though we'll have to see.

I decided to apply for Oxford as I like the location, architecture and the style of course they offer. It also helps that it is often rated as one of the best universities in the world for studying medicine. I chose trinity college for its contemporary style, decent accommodation and 24/7 stunning library. Wish me luck guys.

best of luck☺️
best of luck☺️

Thanks, good luck on your attempt to get into law in Oxford, I'm sure you'll do well.
And nice 'Grizz' pfp, I prefer ice though.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi there!

I have already posted the French Oxford Demystified chapter above. Unfortunately Russian is one of the rare chapters I don't have. Maybe you can help me if you do get an offer?

Previous Oxford Demystified chapter writers have often been credited for helping other students in subsequent years get in.

I have studied Russian but only to GCSE level.

Hats off to you for being able to tackle it to such a high level.

I've found the other demystified chapters so useful - and your posting on here is also amazing for applicants (seriously!). I'd be happy to do so if I received an offer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending