The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

Online MSc in Computer Science with Data Science, Sunderland

Hello there reader,

I have a medical background and want to do a conversion MSc in CS with Data Science for transitioning into research. However, since I am based in the EU, I have to do it online and the options are therefore scarce: mostly low ranked unis such as Sunderland, Keele, Wolverhampton etc offer online options.

Upon checking the content, Sunderland sounds most appealing to me because it's very Data Science oriented, exactly what I need and look for. I am not planning on working with programming or with IT per se, my goal is getting into Healthcare Data Science for research purposes.

Anyone have experience with Sunderland's CS/DS?

Aberdeen uni has an online Msc Data Science programme and would, possibly, fit my needs best (presumably a decent program and a good university), but the price is too high and can't afford it (around 15.000 pounds).

Do you think pursuing an MSc in a low ranked university is worth it? As I said before, I am not intending on becoming a programmer or a developer, I just want to be able to get into healthcare data science with decent skills.
(edited 1 year ago)
IF you are after a Data Science degree purely to get into research, you should be looking at this:https://www.london.ac.uk/msc-data-science-and-artificial-intelligence-structureif you decide to go with it, I strongly advice for your three optional modules, that you do Mathematics for Data Science and Natural Language processing,and either Data Visualization or Network Science.I would also advise for your final project/thesis that you do something related to the Medical field, maybe something related to the use of Artificial Intelligence in Medical diagnosis/prognosis, or if you get good enough you can perhaps work on developing Algorithms.
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Original post by eeecc
Hello there reader,

I have a medical background and want to do a conversion MSc in CS with Data Science for transitioning into research. However, since I am based in the EU, I have to do it online and the options are therefore scarce: mostly low ranked unis such as Sunderland, Keele, Wolverhampton etc offer online options.

Upon checking the content, Sunderland sounds most appealing to me because it's very Data Science oriented, exactly what I need and look for. I am not planning on working with programming or with IT per se, my goal is getting into Healthcare Data Science for research purposes.

Aberdeen uni has an online Msc Data Science programme and would, possibly, fit my needs best (presumably a decent program and a good university), but the price is too high and can't afford it (around 15.000 pounds).

Do you think pursuing an MSc in a low ranked university is worth it? As I said before, I am not intending on becoming a programmer or a developer, I just want to be able to get into healthcare data science with decent skills.

Hi eeecc,

I am in a similar position too; I am interested in shifting career into data science/analytics and i struggle to make my mind up on which Uni to choose after reading all these comments regarding how bad some of the "low class" unis are. I agree that Sunderland's looks somehow better to me too however, I am worried it will end up another scam as it happens with York's and Wrexham's.
Original post by eeecc
Hello there reader,

Hi there,

Our course sounds ideal considering it's been designed to equip individuals who aren’t from a computer science or data analytics background with the knowledge and skills to launch an exciting new career in data science or data analytics.

It is also ideal for professionals who want to develop data science skills to apply to their current role as a means of progressing their career and is open to professionals who work in computer science roles and want to gain an academic qualification to enhance their credentials and career prospects.

Given that you plan to study 100% online, you can be totally flexible with when you study and when as the learning material can be accessed on demand, at times that are convenient for you.

If you choose Sunderland, you'll be choosing a university with QS 5 star rating for teaching, inclusiveness, employability and facilities, and one that is ranked overall as a top 50 University.
We also offer affordable fees with the option to pay monthly.

If you require any more information, please do not hesitate to reach out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending