The Student Room Group

MSc Computer Science Online?

Hello all, as a software engineer, I am looking to advance my career by pursuing a masters degree.

However, due to work commitments, I am only able to do an online program. Does anyone have experience with an online MSc in computer science with a focus on software engineering?

Thank you,

Ben.
Hi Ben,

Great to hear that you are considering further education, especially in an online format.

A Master's in Computer Science can definitely advance your career and equip you with the practical skills to advance in your field.

There are many benefits to studying part-time as well, you can continue with your work and spread out the costs of a master's. At Wrexham Glyndwr University, we have found that our past students are very happy with the Computer Science Master's program we offer and you can read more about it to discover what makes us different as a university.

The course's key features and what you would learn include:

- Opportunity to study a variety of skills in depth, ranging from commercial programming and mobile application development to computer networking.
- Lectures/tutorials and practical sessions are enhanced with additional online modules, allowing you to continue independent learning through a variety of approaches.
- Taught by staff leading research into the areas of application development and computer networks.
- Research activities are associated with the university’s research centre.
- Learning progresses from design and development, to the building and debugging of applications and networks.
- Options to take external Cisco certification qualifications.

Good luck with furthering your education and let us know if you require any further information about this course!

Best wishes,

Maddy
WrexhamUniReps
Reply 2
Original post by BenjaminTheDev
Hello all, as a software engineer, I am looking to advance my career by pursuing a masters degree.

However, due to work commitments, I am only able to do an online program. Does anyone have experience with an online MSc in computer science with a focus on software engineering?

Thank you,

Ben.

avoid wrexham at all cost, loads of thread in TSR about the dismal experience folks had. University of London online degrees offer a respectable, recognized option.
Reply 3
Thank you,
Ben.

I’m interested in hearing what you went with. I’m currently trying to decide this for myself.
Hi @BenjaminTheDev,

It is nice to see that you are thinking about your next steps in higher education.

If flexibility of a degree is important to you, you might want to consider an MSc in Computer Science at LIBF.

Our distance learning programmes help you balance work, life and learning like a pro, with the option of studying day or night at your own pace, from anywhere.

I have attached our study guide for Computer Science, which covers topics like our curriculum, how to prepare for a Computer Science degree, career prospects, salary expectations and much more - https://bit.ly/3TrrFLd

Wishing you all the best in your course search!

Sam
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 5
Thank you,
Ben.

When you say "advance your career", what do you mean? Are you hoping that my doing a masters future employers will feel you are qualified for something better than you are currently doing?

In my previous experience of software developing unless a specific company is looking for people with a specific masters, I can't see how it will help much. However, if you are looking to move into a specific role with a specific skill set covered by this masters then go for it. However, I have looked at masters for myself and found that my own skill set from personal experience is at a much higher level and I would therefore not gain much.

In summary - where do you want to go in terms of career and then work backwards. If a masters is the answer then go for it but I suspect if you are being speculative, you will end up disappointed.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending