The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Is City, University of London good for computer science in 2023

Hi, I got an offer from City to study computer science there and I was wondering if computer science is a subject that is good to take at city since I have other options like University of Westminster and Greenwich university. Things like how many days you attend a week or the quality of the teachers would also be helpful. Thanks for any help.
Original post by Unkown26
Hi, I got an offer from City to study computer science there and I was wondering if computer science is a subject that is good to take at city since I have other options like University of Westminster and Greenwich university. Things like how many days you attend a week or the quality of the teachers would also be helpful. Thanks for any help.

Hello,

I am one of the student representatives at City University. I don't study computer science but you can speak to a computer science student using our "ask a student" section on the City website. Here's the link:
https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-students/open-events-and-fairs/online-chats/ask-a-student

Hope that helps! If you have any questions regarding student life at City, feel free to ask:h:
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Original post by Unkown26

no its horrible dont go
Original post by Anonymous
no its horrible dont go

Could I ask why?
Reply 4
I am a former employee of City, but I’ve worked at three other London computer science departments, and as admissions tutor for three universities. Given the three listed, City has a much higher reputation… it’s a 1960s Uni, and was a prestigious College of Advanced Technology before then, and was a pioneer computer science department. Like all CS departments it has strengths and weaknesses. City’s strengths include data science, visualisation and HCI, and a major question you should ask yourself of any department is what it’s strengths are. If they don’t align with your interests, it’s not a good fit. For most fields, City is substantially stronger than the other two. If you’re just interested in computing with little idea of flavour, City is a safe bet. However, happy to recommend any London institutions based on your preferences. I currently work for Melbourne, so I’ve no specific axe to grind re. London institutions.
Reply 5
Original post by gbuchanan
I am a former employee of City, but I’ve worked at three other London computer science departments, and as admissions tutor for three universities. Given the three listed, City has a much higher reputation… it’s a 1960s Uni, and was a prestigious College of Advanced Technology before then, and was a pioneer computer science department. Like all CS departments it has strengths and weaknesses. City’s strengths include data science, visualisation and HCI, and a major question you should ask yourself of any department is what it’s strengths are. If they don’t align with your interests, it’s not a good fit. For most fields, City is substantially stronger than the other two. If you’re just interested in computing with little idea of flavour, City is a safe bet. However, happy to recommend any London institutions based on your preferences. I currently work for Melbourne, so I’ve no specific axe to grind re. London institutions.

Hi, I have recently received an offer for an online MSc Computer Science programme at City. Do you have any information regarding their online programmes? I'd be interested to know about the quality of the teaching and any differences between the online and on-campus programmes. Thank you in advance.
Original post by Lewis_M
Hi, I have recently received an offer for an online MSc Computer Science programme at City. Do you have any information regarding their online programmes? I'd be interested to know about the quality of the teaching and any differences between the online and on-campus programmes. Thank you in advance.

I'd also be interested in knowing, not sure if I should go with city for a MSc in Comp Sci... however I like the fact you can do two extra modules over an individual project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending