The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Accomodation in plymouth

What is it like living in plymouth and preferrably the best place location to live off campus with respect to cost and security?
Original post by Ahmed Midas
What is it like living in plymouth and preferrably the best place location to live off campus with respect to cost and security?

Are you a 2022 offer holder?
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by Ahmed Midas

Hi there,

I've always found living in Plymouth enjoyable, it's quite a small and close knit city so everything you need is pretty much in walking distance.

You can find out more about Uni-managed halls here: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation. Uni-managed halls have the benefit of 24 hour security and emergency maintenance.

For off campus accommodation I'd try looking at privately owned halls - you can find some info about living in the private sector here on our website: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/private-sector. The privately owned halls may have different options in terms of room sizes, but may not be the cheapest so it's best to look around and see what there is.

Let me know if you need any more help!

Sophie- University of Plymouth postgrad rep
(edited 2 years ago)
Beckley Point is great, they have 24/7 security and are across the road from campus. Affordable rooms too.
Original post by lewis.milburn
Beckley Point is great, they have 24/7 security and are across the road from campus. Affordable rooms too.

Do a lot of first year students choose beckely point?
Reply 5
I have the same question! I don't know which hall of residence is good. Is there any personal experience could be shared?
I thought the private one may be more expensive coz it may not be all-inclusive while the uni-residence shall be all-inclusive.
Reply 6
Most first years tend to stay at Beckly or IQ Astor house. I've lived in Astor house and the staff security are amazing. There's the right amount of things to do, with the theatre and games rooms. The facilities and staff are more reliable than most places and its a good location with The Hoe and city centre being 10 mins away.
Hey everyone! :smile:

Does anyone have any questions about accommodation they need answering? Happy to help with any queries you have! :biggrin:

In my first year, I stayed in Francis Drake Halls on Plymouth’s campus, and this year I’m staying in private halls of residence so if you’re interested in either of those or any other general accommodation information, I’ll do my best to answer your questions!

- Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep (Second Year student) :h:
Original post by University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Hey everyone! :smile:

Does anyone have any questions about accommodation they need answering? Happy to help with any queries you have! :biggrin:

In my first year, I stayed in Francis Drake Halls on Plymouth’s campus, and this year I’m staying in private halls of residence so if you’re interested in either of those or any other general accommodation information, I’ll do my best to answer your questions!

- Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep (Second Year student) :h:

hiya

i’m starting this autumn at plymouth and ive been looking at halls, a lot of people are saying francis drake and pilgrim are very similar so wondering if you can confirm this? looking for best value for money because i have no idea how im going to afford uni!!
Original post by guiding-sash
hiya

i’m starting this autumn at plymouth and ive been looking at halls, a lot of people are saying francis drake and pilgrim are very similar so wondering if you can confirm this? looking for best value for money because i have no idea how im going to afford uni!!

The only reason Francis Drake is more expensive is because it's located on campus and therefore the university can bump up the price. However, the student village is so close that even that isn't much of a perk; it takes me less than five minutes to walk from the student village to campus. The kitchen is nice with plenty of space and a common space, but the rooms are very similar to what you would get from other halls. The quality doesn't differ much between Francis Drake and halls like Radnor or Pilgrim from my experience. For best value for money, I'd certainly consider looking at other halls than Francis.
Original post by guiding-sash
hiya

Hi there!

Glad to hear you'll be starting with us this Autumn! 🙂 I stayed in Francis Drake and really enjoyed the accommodation. I was in a flat of 6 people with a shared kitchen, and an ensuite. It was really modern and on campus making it really quick to get to lectures!

Pilgrim also offers similar room options, all being ensuite (same as Francis Drake). They have similar pricing but Francis Drake is slightly more expensive, likely as it was renovated recently and is also on campus (however Pilgrim is in the student village which is just a minute walk over the road so not too far!)

For specific information about pricing and room options, check out our web pages for Francis Drake and Pilgrim so you can make a comparison of the two!

Best of luck choosing your accommodation! 😀

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Hi, Thinking about either pilgrim or Radner. would you say there are and differences between them?
Thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, Thinking about either pilgrim or Radner. would you say there are and differences between them?
Thanks

Hey there,

You can check out the differences between all our accommodation we have on our handy page!

Happy flat hunting, and we look forward to seeing you in September 😄

Bests,
Amelia - University of Plymouth
Hey everyone! 😀

The Plymouth accommodation portal is now open for bookings for those who choose the university as their firm choice! If you have any questions about halls, accommodation, or the university in general, feel free to reach out! 🙂

Best of luck!

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending