The Student Room Group

Getting rejected from medicine after a gap year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vanqueef
Thanks for the advice, I do know that my stats aren’t super amazing compared to some off the people that get 4 A*s and 12 9’s at GCSE lol, but like you said I was still able to get interviews which I wasn’t able to do first time around. Also I have looked into quite a few alternate career paths such as radiography and optometry but none appeal to me that much and I can’t see myself doing them for the rest off my life the way I can see myself doing medicine. Also my plan is to kind off continue on doing what I’m doing in my first gap year (working as a carer as well as at a medical diagnostics centre). I know my downfall was my interviews because I did underestimate the difficulty and even after doing them I realised I could have done so much better which is so annoying in hindsight.

Hi what did you think you did wrong in your interview?
Original post by Vanqueef
So I just received my final medical school rejection from Liverpool. I applied to med first time around in year 13 but got 4 pre interview rejections (it was a very bad application with so many mistakes). I then got AAA (2 9’s 6 8’s and 2 7’s at GCSE) and applied again and got 2 interviews from Liverpool and Southampton and got rejected. I got 2830 and band 2 in my UCAT this time around. I have asked for feedback but Southampton have said they can’t give it and I am still waiting for Liverpool. My question is should I take a second gap year and try again ? I have an offer at Newcastle for biomed with a possible transfer after first year (slim chances I know) but I really want to to med and considering I kind off know what went badly in my interviews I want to try again. Would it be wise ? I’m scared off the same thing happening again and med schools looking down on it. Has anyone done this and it been successful ?
I would also have to convince my parents it would be a good decision too since I know how competitive GEM is even if you apply to undergrad courses.

Why do you think you didn’t pass the interview?
Original post by cherrymandycand
Why do you think you didn’t pass the interview?

Gap year stories. #173

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7209108

Liverpool invites a lot of people to interview and has a notoriously difficult conversion to offer ratio.
pits also quite a tough interview to call. It’s not been very long in some recent years and panel which has thrown people sometimes. Hard for anybody really to identify what worked and what didn’t I think as everybody’s experience was different. Read some previous years threads for info.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending