The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejections - Gap Year Advice

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on taking a gap year for medicine. I applied originally with a UCAT score of 2810 and BMAT of 5.6 in Section 1, 3.8 (very bad I know) in Section 2 and 4A in Section 3. I applied to Oxford, UCL, Kings and Southampton. I have already received pre-interview rejections from Oxford, UCL and Kings - I've had a Southampton interview but I am still awaiting an offer/rejection.

My confidence has really been knocked by rejection after rejection but I'm now trying to look at taking a gap year next year. I'm feeling hopeful about my A-Levels (got A*AB in my mocks, which gives me room to improve), but I would really like advice on re-taking the UCAT to get a higher score, and also what type of work experience I should look for (and what time would be the best to start doing WE)

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by scoobyzoot
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some advice on taking a gap year for medicine. I applied originally with a UCAT score of 2810 and BMAT of 5.6 in Section 1, 3.8 (very bad I know) in Section 2 and 4A in Section 3. I applied to Oxford, UCL, Kings and Southampton. I have already received pre-interview rejections from Oxford, UCL and Kings - I've had a Southampton interview but I am still awaiting an offer/rejection.
My confidence has really been knocked by rejection after rejection but I'm now trying to look at taking a gap year next year. I'm feeling hopeful about my A-Levels (got A*AB in my mocks, which gives me room to improve), but I would really like advice on re-taking the UCAT to get a higher score, and also what type of work experience I should look for (and what time would be the best to start doing WE)
Thanks

I would say it's best to take a gap year. grad entry medicine is not only more expensive but it takes longer and of course is more competitive than if you take a gap year and reapply. I'm currently on a gap year and due to start at Nottingham this September.

I'd say in terms of your UCAT you're already quite accomplished. 2800 is a good score and one that would unlock the doors to interview for most medical schools. I think what let you down this year was your choice of University. Oxford, Kings and UCL are all extremely reputable and competitive universities that a lot of high achievers want to go to. Generally the advice normally given is select one university as your dream universities, two relatively safe options and one safe option.

In terms of what to do during a gap year. I personally just found a job and worked for most of the year. I did also volunteer occasionally at my local district hospital but I wouldn't say it's actually necessary to get medical related work experience so long as you can reflect on the skills gained in any experience, you're good. For me I was working in a restaurant so communication and teamwork were the main skills that I reflected on and conveyed at interview.

Lastly, gap years are a good way of showing commitment. A lot of people who are unsuccessful sometimes opt to do courses they may not entirely want to do. I think Universities much prefer it if students take a year out reflect on their previous application and dedicate a year to improve themselves as a whole and cultivate skills important for them to have as medical students but also as doctors.

This is my personal advice. It paid dividends for me so if things don't work out with Southampton I really do hope you'll consider a gap year.

Hope this helps!!!
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by scoobyzoot
Hi everyone,
Thanks

Yea I think where you went wrong were your choices, your UCAT score was quite good and you should’ve applied to more safe universities. But yes take a gap year, in yr 13 I had 0 interview but in my gap year I managed to get a job and 3 offers and due to start Leicester med school in September. So persons advice above is spot on, take a gap year, apply to more safe unis and don’t do GEM
Agree with above - your UCAT is great but hedge your bets more with the uni choices.

When it comes round to UCAT again, spend enough time preparing, but not so much that it becomes tiresome. Medify was my favourite resource by far and boosted my score by 500 points in the four weeks leading up to the test.

Fingers crossed for Southampton but if you do take a gap year, find some time to enjoy it too - travel if you can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending