The Student Room Group

What are your next steps?

Hiya,

Firstly congratulations to everyone who has completed your post-16 exams and going through the immensely stressful medicine application process.

We have noticed this year that a large number of people did not achieve the grades that they were predicted, this did result in people (not applying to study medicine) who were near misses still being accepted onto their chosen course. We wondered if anyone applying to study medicine received any near-miss offers?

Adding on to this, if you did not receive an offer to study medicine, what are your next steps?

-Take a gap year and reapply to study UG medicine
-Resit
-Apply for medicine with a foundation year
-Do another UG course with the view to study GEM
-Decide to pursue something else

Thanks,

R
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Quoting in some users who've posted recently in Medicine.
Feel free to read Rusty's post above and respond - feel free to ignore if this doesn't apply to you - or post to subscribe. :sub:

Quotes

whats a near miss offer?
Original post by jennaa21
whats a near miss offer?

Say you had an offer for AAA but you achieved AAB they may still accept you on to the course:smile:
Original post by _Rusty_
Say you had an offer for AAA but you achieved AAB they may still accept you on to the course:smile:

ohh im not in that position (going into year 13)
but a family friend applied to kings (medicine) with A*AA and 3070 b1 ucat and got an offer in march.
on results day she ended up getting ABB but was still accepted (i think it was due to her ucat!)
but a family friend applied to kings (medicine) with A*AA and 3070 b1 ucat and got an offer in march.
on results day she ended up getting ABB but was still accepted (i think it was due to her ucat!)

She was accepted with ABB?!
Original post by _Rusty_
She was accepted with ABB?!

yep shocked me as well
A in biology and B's in chem and maths
(edited 8 months ago)
yep shocked me as well
A in biology and B's in chem and maths

Well that’s very interesting

@KA_P@04MR17@GANFYD thought it’d be of interest to you^
Original post by _Rusty_
Hiya,

Firstly congratulations to everyone who has completed your post-16 exams and going through the immensely stressful medicine application process.

We have noticed this year that a large number of people did not achieve the grades that they were predicted, this did result in people (not applying to study medicine) who were near misses still being accepted onto their chosen course. We wondered if anyone applying to study medicine received any near-miss offers?

Adding on to this, if you did not receive an offer to study medicine, what are your next steps?

-Resit

Thanks,

R

I'm reapplying in my gap year to 3 UG med courses and 1 foundation. Also going to be resitting a subject. Sat my UCAT already so just made sure my to apply strategically and went relatively safe with my options.
Original post by _Rusty_
Hiya,

-Resit

Thanks,

R

Expected AAA but got BBB so gonna apply for foundation year. UCAT end of September
Reply 10
Original post by _Rusty_
Well that’s very interesting

@KA_P@04MR17@GANFYD thought it’d be of interest to you^

Hello, yes very interesting, what year was that entry for? Unless you are widening participant or have some very strong exceptional circumstances then less than three As are unheard off regardless of high Ucat score.

thats mad because i know someone who got a conditional offer for kings and she got ABB on results day and got rejected. ig some people are lucky
I didn't apply to Medicine this year because I was silly. I'm starting psychology and will be doing GEM down the line. Seems crazy and insane, but that about sums me up and probably why it's not such a bad idea for me to go study psychology first! :tongue: Waiting for the 2026 GEM entry thread to be created to start hanging around there - if possible I'd like OP, pretty please :redface:
Original post by Scotland Yard
I didn't apply to Medicine this year because I was silly. I'm starting psychology and will be doing GEM down the line. Seems crazy and insane, but that about sums me up and probably why it's not such a bad idea for me to go study psychology first! :tongue: Waiting for the 2026 GEM entry thread to be created to start hanging around there - if possible I'd like OP, pretty please :redface:

Why don’t you just take a gap year? GEM is much more competitive and expensive too
Original post by h4nn4
thats mad because i know someone who got a conditional offer for kings and she got ABB on results day and got rejected. ig some people are lucky

My mate got rejected from Manchester post interview and on results day they just gave him an offer even though he got AAB
Original post by _Rusty_
Hiya,

-Resit

Thanks,

R

Reapplying for next year x
Original post by B7861
Why don’t you just take a gap year? GEM is much more competitive and expensive too

I just took a gap year. I got a pesky B in Chemistry and that just turned off logical thought in my brain so I ended up applying to Psychology and by the time my lapse of reason subsided... it was too late to do anything about it for 2023 entry. And taking a second gap year is really not possible right now for me. So GEM it is! I'm aware of how competitive it is - the GEM programme at my own university (which is one of the ones I'll be aiming for) has 36 applicants per place... which is decidedly hard on anyone's books, and it makes A100 competion seem like a walk in the park. But I'm afraid I cannot change that now so I just have to carry on! I will carry on.

Are you a school leaver? You’ve probably heard this before but GEM is both more expensive and more competitive than standard entry med. Is a gap year something you would consider? Otherwise, would you be happy pursuing a career in psychology if you were to be unable to get a place in GEM?
I just took a gap year. I got a pesky B in Chemistry and that just turned off logical thought in my brain so I ended up applying to Psychology and by the time my lapse of reason subsided... it was too late to do anything about it for 2023 entry. And taking a second gap year is really not possible right now for me. So GEM it is! I'm aware of how competitive it is - the GEM programme at my own university (which is one of the ones I'll be aiming for) has 36 applicants per place... which is decidedly hard on anyone's books, and it makes A100 competion seem like a walk in the park. But I'm afraid I cannot change that now so I just have to carry on! I will carry on.

Even though you got a B in chem you can apply to some foundation entry courses. But I mean it’s up to you
Original post by B7861
Expected AAA but got BBB so gonna apply for foundation year. UCAT end of September

Do you need to meet certain criteria to do a foundation course? How come you didn't apply for foundation this time? Sorry to ask but genuinely interested as not sure on what basis you can apply...:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending