The Student Room Group

People who have taken gap years...would you recommend them?

I'm in year 12 and originally planned on studying medicine at University (I take chem, bio and English lit A Level), but I now feel I'd enjoy something like journalism instead. Would you suggest taking a gap year. I'm worried it will feel like I'm falling behind.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm in year 12 and originally planned on studying medicine at University (I take chem, bio and English lit A Level), but I now feel I'd enjoy something like journalism instead. Would you suggest taking a gap year. I'm worried it will feel like I'm falling behind.

Hi there.

People can start university at any age so don't worry - one year doesn't make a massive decision anyways.

It depends what you do with your gap year and whether you think it'd be worthwhile taking one :smile:

Best wishes.

yeah if you have a strong personality and a good plan for your gap year it's a really good idea to take one. maybe take the NCTJ course and try to shadow/ get work experience with a journalist. also medical work experience to clear any doubts of whether or not you actually might want to do medicine. good luck!

My daughter took a gap year and she’s still one of the youngest in her uni flat ( all of them freshers) so don’t worry about falling behind as loads of people take time out. And if you’re not sure about medecine then take the time to think it through completely. The course is long and hard and there’s no point in using all your finance options up only to discover later on that you’ve made a mistake.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4

genuinely please do take the gap year if you want one. there’s so many people that have one, don’t compare yourself to your classmates that might be going straight to uni. medicine is a tough course which requires a lot of commitment and if you’re not 100% sure about it i think a gap year would be the best choice !! you can use it to get some work experience within the journalism field and see if that’s right for you.

Hi,
I was I a similar situation myself. I had accepted a place on a course at a different institution and decided it wasn't right for me so I took a gap year and decided which course and uni was right for me. I would recommend it if you feel like you haven't fully made up your mind. this way it will give you time to explore your options and decide what is best for you.

All the best
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador

I took one and I'm really glad I did. Though please do plan it out well. I've seen people go into a gap year with no real plan. Know when to take a break as well :smile:

When you're at college/sixth form, it's very easy to feel consumed and pressured to apply to university so that you know what's next. However, it does mean you're sucked into this bubble that it's difficult to look at things from a different perspective. People choose to go to university, do an apprenticeship, take a gap year or get a job. It seems as though going to university is the most popular option, that doing anything else makes you feel like you're falling behind.

If you're unsure of what you want to study at university, there's no shame in wanting to take a gap year or considering a gap year. This will give you the time and opportunity to figure out what you want to do with your life and study. There is nothing wrong with whichever option you decide as long as you know it's the right path for you. At the end of the day, it's important to do what's best for you and not what's best for everyone else. It may feel like you're behind because you're seeing your friends having fun and making memories, but they're navigating through life too just like you are. There's no rush or pressure to decide right away and if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
Also, it's essential to recognise when it's time to take a break for yourself. It may sound scary to do something different, but if you're in need of something to inspire you or you need a lightbulb moment, taking time for yourself may just be what you need.

I took a gap year because I needed a break from education and wanted to see what else was out there in the world. I ended up working, travelling and saving up for uni. In the midst of that, I changed my course and was delighted because I found a course that suited my personality, wants and needs for a career.

I hope you find your way. :smile:

Veronica
Student Ambassador
(edited 2 years ago)
I took one but it was out of necessity rather than choice. We needed money so I had to work.

I wasn't happy about it. If I was going to take a gap year I'd have liked to have travelled, but instead I was stuck in a tiny office trying to sell fish and chip shops.

I think everyone's situation is different. There's nothing wrong with taking a gap year, but make sure you do something you want to do.

I am in Year 13, have offers from unis, really did plan on going to uni straight away- now I've decided to take a gap year. I found that I got too 'sucked in' to the whole application process and trying to please others, that I really lost sight of what I wanted. In the past few weeks I began to debate whether I'd even chosen the right course (I'm a bit like you- I have two polarising passions and I'm not sure which degree route to take between the two). So, now I am going to do a gap year, figure myself out as a person, gaining work experience from both passions of mine and comparing how they are in the real working world and not just the word of reading textbooks and doing exams. I feel like a gap year is a perfect opportunity to see if you really like the actual working environment of the career, not just the revision element during school.
And please don't worry about not being the youngest. If it makes you feel any better I had to take a year out of school a few years ago anyway due to physical health so I am indeed still doing a gap year even though I am 19 at the moment and I've technically already had a 'gap year' from education. I felt like the age thing for me was a worry but then I thought, dude its just one extra year; a year to learn more about myself, discover what I truly want, and meet new likeminded people. I'm actually really excited about it now, and I think its a great thing to do even if you're a little unsure about courses. Better now than never x

Hi!

I took a gap year, as I felt I needed a break from education and just to take a step back and re-evaluate things without being rushed. also, with the way that student finance works I wouldn't be able to afford uni living costs. the year out gave me clarity about what i wanted from my degree and to have a fresh start. I wouldn't worry about falling behind, as when you start uni they provide you with all the support that you need and will teach you the basics.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I took a gap year, as I felt I needed a break from education and just to take a step back and re-evaluate things without being rushed. also, with the way that student finance works I wouldn't be able to afford uni living costs. the year out gave me clarity about what i wanted from my degree and to have a fresh start. I wouldn't worry about falling behind, as when you start uni they provide you with all the support that you need and will teach you the basics.

I hope this helps!

Hello ma'am i'm looking for a year gap as well and then to apply at any uni cuz I 'm still in dilemma about my course of choice , but i've searched about the one course of my preference that is ODP bsc hons and the search showed the Uni of Portsmouth as well so may you pls help me gerting more abt this course pls ?? And I was looking for an apprenticeship as well for this so is it possible to apply for an undergrad apprenticeship??
Thanks in adv ...
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
When you're at college/sixth form, it's very easy to feel consumed and pressured to apply to university so that you know what's next. However, it does mean you're sucked into this bubble that it's difficult to look at things from a different perspective. People choose to go to university, do an apprenticeship, take a gap year or get a job. It seems as though going to university is the most popular option, that doing anything else makes you feel like you're falling behind.

If you're unsure of what you want to study at university, there's no shame in wanting to take a gap year or considering a gap year. This will give you the time and opportunity to figure out what you want to do with your life and study. There is nothing wrong with whichever option you decide as long as you know it's the right path for you. At the end of the day, it's important to do what's best for you and not what's best for everyone else. It may feel like you're behind because you're seeing your friends having fun and making memories, but they're navigating through life too just like you are. There's no rush or pressure to decide right away and if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
Also, it's essential to recognise when it's time to take a break for yourself. It may sound scary to do something different, but if you're in need of something to inspire you or you need a lightbulb moment, taking time for yourself may just be what you need.

I took a gap year because I needed a break from education and wanted to see what else was out there in the world. I ended up working, travelling and saving up for uni. In the midst of that, I changed my course and was delighted because I found a course that suited my personality, wants and needs for a career.

I hope you find your way. :smile:

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Hello ma'am i'm looking for a year gap as well and then to apply at any uni cuz I 'm still in dilemma about my course of choice , but i've searched about the one course of my preference that is ODP bsc hons and the search showed the Uni of Portsmouth and coventry uni as well so may you pls help me gerting more abt this course pls ?? And I was looking for an apprenticeship as well for this so is it possible to apply for an undergrad apprenticeship??

Thanks in adv ...
I took one, but due to covid, mine was ****. But even though we was stuck indoors, it gave me time to think about what I actually wanted from my higher education and university.

If you don't actually know what you want, take a gap year. If you're feeling overwhelmed, confused also take a gap year
Absolutely, if you are uncertain about what you want to study, a gap year is the best thing you can do. It just gives you a bit more time to figure out what degree you want to do, and makes the application process less stressful.
A gap year is only worth it if you want it and you know how you're gonna utilise it.

I'm on a "gap year" now, though after graduating from my postgrad. It's out of choice and I kinda hate it.

Hi there!

I took a gap year and I 100% don't regret it, I'm very happy I did. It gave me more time to mature and get ready for uni rather than being rushed into it, and it also helped give me more time to figure out what I want to study. If you're unsure (and medicine and journalism are quite different programmes!) I would suggest taking a gap year to figure out how you feel so you can be sure of your decision. It's better to take a year now and figure it out rather than be halfway through your degree and regret it or wish you'd done something else.

Everyone starts uni at different ages. While the majority do come straight from secondary school, you'll definitely be in a similar age group to everyone else. Also, taking a gap year is quite common so you won't be the only one. You won't be falling behind at all, we all go at different paces and it's better to understand and respect your pace rather than rush into it and be unsure. I thoroughly regret taking a gap year especially since you're undecided; if anything I feel like people who didn't miss out on being able to relax after secondary school and then take the next big step.

Good luck with making your decision and I hope you're happy whichever you decide!

Jade :smile:
Official University of Southampton Rep
Hello ma'am i'm looking for a year gap as well and then to apply at any uni cuz I 'm still in dilemma about my course of choice , but i've searched about the one course of my preference that is ODP bsc hons and the search showed the Uni of Portsmouth and coventry uni as well so may you pls help me gerting more abt this course pls ?? And I was looking for an apprenticeship as well for this so is it possible to apply for an undergrad apprenticeship??

Thanks in adv ...

Hi,

Thank you for your message.

It's great to hear you're interested in taking a gap year!

Although I am a healthcare student, I have limited knowledge about the ODP course. However, I am able to find out information for you. What would you like to know about the ODP course?
To my knowledge, Coventry University does offer an apprenticeship in ODP, so yes.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi,

Thank you for your message.

It's great to hear you're interested in taking a gap year!

Although I am a healthcare student, I have limited knowledge about the ODP course. However, I am able to find out information for you. What would you like to know about the ODP course?
To my knowledge, Coventry University does offer an apprenticeship in ODP, so yes.

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Thankyou so much ma'am for help and suggestion...
I want to know everything about Bsc ODP (hons) and pls let me know if it is a subject area that can be opted by international student as well and pls let me know more about apprenticeship of this area cuz I really don't know how apprenticeship works like if it is only about job or we do study on campus in apprentice degree ?
Thanks once again
😊
Hello ma'am i'm looking for a year gap as well and then to apply at any uni cuz I 'm still in dilemma about my course of choice , but i've searched about the one course of my preference that is ODP bsc hons and the search showed the Uni of Portsmouth as well so may you pls help me gerting more abt this course pls ?? And I was looking for an apprenticeship as well for this so is it possible to apply for an undergrad apprenticeship??
Thanks in adv ...

Hi!

As this is a specific question regarding your circumstance and course option, the best thing to do is to talk to our admissions team. They will be able to offer you specific guidance.

UK student enquiries:
[email protected]
or
+44 (0)23 9284 5566

International student enquiries
[email protected]
or
+44 (0)23 9284 5113

I hope this helps!
Best wishes

Quick Reply