The Student Room Group

a level maths

I am in year 12 now and have taken maths as an a level but I am finding it really tough and I only got a grade 6 on my GCSEs so I am unsure of if I should continue taking it or changing it before it is too late if so I am thinking of changing to law or psychology I still don't know if I want to go to uni yet or not and would like to keep my options open though I have currently taken geography and product design as I enjoy them .As you have taken maths up to yr 13 does it get really difficult later on in the course as I feel like I wont enjoy it and will not put the work in
Reply 1
Original post by GreenJay
I am in year 12 now and have taken maths as an a level but I am finding it really tough and I only got a grade 6 on my GCSEs so I am unsure of if I should continue taking it or changing it before it is too late if so I am thinking of changing to law or psychology I still don't know if I want to go to uni yet or not and would like to keep my options open though I have currently taken geography and product design as I enjoy them .As you have taken maths up to yr 13 does it get really difficult later on in the course as I feel like I wont enjoy it and will not put the work in

What do you want to do? As in career wise? I feel maths could be very useful in the future however this usefulness is contingent upon your like maths grade. I struggled with maths and recommend using TL maths and PMT

I'm currently on a gap year and taking further maths but I've done maths A-level and I'm going to try to be realistic.
Yes, maths A-level gets harder in Y13 and most people think that. I was always pretty good at maths, but I don't remember a single person in my year who didn't think the step up from Y12 to 13 was tough.
However, if you do choose to stick with maths and put the work in, it will probably be the best A-Level in terms of keeping your options open. I mean there is a reason the government is trying to make it compulsory in the future.
Do you think you will not enjoy doing maths because of how hard it might be? Or do you think you won't enjoy it because you don't like the subject itself?
AS-maths is very generous compared to the second year. It's certainly doable but compared to year 1 I found it much more... challenging? It's hard to explain but I personally found A2 maths harder than AS-Further maths for example so take that how you will.

For context though, maths is very useful for almost any career path and the questions at A-level are very formulaic so with enough practice it is definitely possible to get a B or higher
Reply 4
Thanks for all of the replies I never really liked maths as a subject I was originally going to take it to compliment physics however I didn’t get a grade 7 in it so I couldn’t do it unfortunately, and for my career I don’t know yet but I will probably go into some kind of apprenticeship at the end of my a levels most likely and I don’t think I will go to uni but that might change in the future i also struggled a lot with maths as a subject and barely got the required grade
(edited 7 months ago)
Thanks for all of the replies I never really liked maths as a subject I was originally going to take it to compliment physics however I didn’t get a grade 7 in it so I couldn’t do it unfortunately, and for my career I don’t know yet but I will probably go into some kind of apprenticeship at the end of my a levels most likely and I don’t think I will go to uni but that might change in the future i also struggled a lot with maths as a subject and barely got the required grade

Is it because your school didn't let you take physics?
Reply 6
Watch Mr Bicen on Utube

Quick Reply

Latest