The Student Room Group

Law predicted A*AA 2023 entry

I was originally looking at KCL, Durham, Oxbridge etc but have been talked out of it as don’t think my grades are competitive enough. Would you agree?

Now considering QMUL* (first choice), Nottingham, Sheffield*, York
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BarryScott2022
Predicted as above but most likely to get AAA. My GCSEs were 887777776. I’ve just finished my law topic EPQ predicted A.

I was originally looking at KCL, Durham, Oxbridge etc but have been talked out of it as don’t think my grades are competitive enough. Would you agree?

Now considering QMUL* (first choice), Nottingham, Sheffield*, York & Cardiff* (insurance). *Hoping for dual EPQ lower offer.

Do these sound realistic? I don’t want to under apply but neither do I want to over and end up with no offers. My parents are saying be realistic but I’m keen to attend a well regarded university for law as know it’s important for future career prospects (I’m focusing on Barrister route).

I have x2 charity voluntary work for my PS, law background reading, my EPQ was a law topic, completed a law online course and hoping to get some actual law work experience this summer.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi there @BarryScott2022

Imo, these GCSE grades are pretty good. Durham does not have any specific GCSE requirements for law but are nonetheless taken into account for the holistic consideration of your application (although not given as much weight as other components). All you have to do is meet the A-level requirements of A*AA and attempt a good LNAT score (preferably above 23) to be in higher chances of getting an offer. A good personal statement is also necessary so make sure you use all the relevant stuff you've mentioned to demonstrate your interest in studying law. As for the EPQ, this link will help: https://studyatdurham.microsoftcrmportals.com/en-us/knowledgebase/article/KA-01982

In my experience, Durham sometimes tends to overlook a low grade in one aspect if the other components are strong. Eg: I got a 17 on my LNAT but was still able to get an offer because of what I presume were strong GCSEs, A-levels and personal statement.

What you could do is apply to a mix of unis. Maybe apply to 2 unis which you originally looked into and would love to go to and apply to 3 from the latter choices you mentioned. This way even if you don't get into the original choices, you might still have offers from the others you're considering.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there @BarryScott2022

Imo, these GCSE grades are pretty good. Durham does not have any specific GCSE requirements for law but are nonetheless taken into account for the holistic consideration of your application (although not given as much weight as other components). All you have to do is meet the A-level requirements of A*AA and attempt a good LNAT score (preferably above 23) to be in higher chances of getting an offer. A good personal statement is also necessary so make sure you use all the relevant stuff you've mentioned to demonstrate your interest in studying law. As for the EPQ, this link will help: https://studyatdurham.microsoftcrmportals.com/en-us/knowledgebase/article/KA-01982

In my experience, Durham sometimes tends to overlook a low grade in one aspect if the other components are strong. Eg: I got a 17 on my LNAT but was still able to get an offer because of what I presume were strong GCSEs, A-levels and personal statement.

What you could do is apply to a mix of unis. Maybe apply to 2 unis which you originally looked into and would love to go to and apply to 3 from the latter choices you mentioned. This way even if you don't get into the original choices, you might still have offers from the others you're considering.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you for the kind reply Himieka. I’m just concerned there’ll be others with higher predicts (like multiple A*) and so I don’t stand a chance. My A* is ambitious tbh. My teachers have said if I work I can achieve it but it is probably an 80/20 chance.

QMUL is A*AA but I’d hope to be given an EPQ offer if I get the predicted A🤞🏻.
Also the second list options are all non-LNAT and to add one that isn’t seems a lot for just one choice. I’ve seen how competitive it’s been recently and it worries me.

I’m going to open days soon so I’ll try and find out more. Thank you!
Thank you for the kind reply Himieka. I’m just concerned there’ll be others with higher predicts (like multiple A*) and so I don’t stand a chance. My A* is ambitious tbh. My teachers have said if I work I can achieve it but it is probably an 80/20 chance.

QMUL is A*AA but I’d hope to be given an EPQ offer if I get the predicted A🤞🏻.
Also the second list options are all non-LNAT and to add one that isn’t seems a lot for just one choice. I’ve seen how competitive it’s been recently and it worries me.

I’m going to open days soon so I’ll try and find out more. Thank you!

Hi @BarryScott2022

Actually Nottingham is also an LNAT uni but I understand what you're saying and yeah LNAT does require a lot of preparation. If you can't possibly achieve A* then maybe it's not worth but if there's even a little chance then I would definitely apply to at least one of the original choices. Although if you aren't crazy about any of the original choices and will be equally happy with the second list choices then stick to the second list :smile:

Hi @BarryScott2022

Actually Nottingham is also an LNAT uni but I understand what you're saying and yeah LNAT does require a lot of preparation. If you can't possibly achieve A* then maybe it's not worth but if there's even a little chance then I would definitely apply to at least one of the original choices. Although if you aren't crazy about any of the original choices and will be equally happy with the second list choices then stick to the second list :smile:

Thank you. Nottingham no longer require LNAT on their website for 2023. I called to enquire and they weren’t very sure so I’ve emailed to double check (as it’s still on the LNAT website). There’s been a few changes to LNAT this year, for instance, Cambridge require it for 2023 entry now.

I’m fairly happy with the second list. QMUL is ambitious. I’ll definitely try and talk to staff at Open Days before finalising decisions.
Thank you. Nottingham no longer require LNAT on their website for 2023. I called to enquire and they weren’t very sure so I’ve emailed to double check (as it’s still on the LNAT website). There’s been a few changes to LNAT this year, for instance, Cambridge require it for 2023 entry now.

I’m fairly happy with the second list. QMUL is ambitious. I’ll definitely try and talk to staff at Open Days before finalising decisions.

Ooh is that so? Well good for you then and hopefully you'll like it wherever you end up going :wink:

Ooh is that so? Well good for you then and hopefully you'll like it wherever you end up going :wink:

I’m hoping that’s the case about Nottingham. It was on their entry requirements last year but not this year. Hopefully I’ll hear back this week.

Thank you, that’s really kind of you. Fingers crossed!
I’m hoping that’s the case about Nottingham. It was on their entry requirements last year but not this year. Hopefully I’ll hear back this week.

Thank you, that’s really kind of you. Fingers crossed!

Updates?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending