The Student Room Group

Would a Geography degree be appropriate for Law?

Hey everyone,

From what I understand, it is (in theory) possible to pursue a degree in any area and then complete a GDL afterwards and have the same qualifications as if you had completed an undergraduate degree in law. However, upon doing some research on LinkedIn and on some of the big law firm's websites, I have noticed that those who did do this route have often done the same few degrees. Mainly, these have been History, Politics or Economics. Is this because these degrees are most appropriate for a career in Law and thus valued most by firms looking for new people to employ or is it just that people who take these degrees are more likely to apply for jobs in Law than those who have taken other degrees (such as Geography)?

In summary: would I have a better shot a pursuing a career in law if I were to take a degree in History or Politics rather than Geography?

I ask this as I take all three (Geography, Politics and History) at A Level and I enjoy each of them, however, I have always found Geography to come more naturally than the others. As a result, it is currently the degree I think I am most likely to apply for next year. However, I am still not fully decided and, as I consider law to be a possible career path, this may form a part of my decision. :confused:
Reply 1
Any reason you are not just doing a law degree if that's the end goal?

Either way, from my understanding (final year law student, countless legal open days etc.), it's more about the grade than the degree itself. A first in geography is going to help you a lot more than a 2:1 in another. To that end, I'd say do what you enjoy most and then the GDL. Preferably at a good uni too.

Good luck!
Original post by Ponnken
Hey everyone,

From what I understand, it is (in theory) possible to pursue a degree in any area and then complete a GDL afterwards and have the same qualifications as if you had completed an undergraduate degree in law. However, upon doing some research on LinkedIn and on some of the big law firm's websites, I have noticed that those who did do this route have often done the same few degrees. Mainly, these have been History, Politics or Economics. Is this because these degrees are most appropriate for a career in Law and thus valued most by firms looking for new people to employ or is it just that people who take these degrees are more likely to apply for jobs in Law than those who have taken other degrees (such as Geography)?

In summary: would I have a better shot a pursuing a career in law if I were to take a degree in History or Politics rather than Geography?

I ask this as I take all three (Geography, Politics and History) at A Level and I enjoy each of them, however, I have always found Geography to come more naturally than the others. As a result, it is currently the degree I think I am most likely to apply for next year. However, I am still not fully decided and, as I consider law to be a possible career path, this may form a part of my decision. :confused:

It doesn't matter at all. Study what you like.
Reply 3
Original post by ezlaw
Any reason you are not just doing a law degree if that's the end goal?

Either way, from my understanding (final year law student, countless legal open days etc.), it's more about the grade than the degree itself. A first in geography is going to help you a lot more than a 2:1 in another. To that end, I'd say do what you enjoy most and then the GDL. Preferably at a good uni too.

Good luck!

Thanks! I don't plan on doing a law degree as it is not necessarily the end goal, just one of a few paths I am considering. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Gmaster1980
It doesn't matter at all. Study what you like.

Thank you :smile:
Just reiterating that it really doesn't matter what degree you do - as others have said, it's more important that you get good grades and getting experience in law firms than your degree choice itself if law is your goal
I have a solicitor child with a BSc in geography and that one is a very good London lawyer in private practice. Another one is on the LPC now and again has a geography BSc. I also worked at an IP firm and we even ahd people with PhDs in biotech and loved science degree people and maths. (I did an LLB)
Reply 7
Original post by 17Student17
I have a solicitor child with a BSc in geography and that one is a very good London lawyer in private practice. Another one is on the LPC now and again has a geography BSc. I also worked at an IP firm and we even ahd people with PhDs in biotech and loved science degree people and maths. (I did an LLB)
How did they get into those jobs and what universities did they attend?
Reply 8
Original post by Ponnken
Hey everyone,

Hey!

I think that if you are interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer, then it would make most sense to study this for your undergraduate rather than doing a degree that you are unlikely to use if you were to practise law. I am sure that you could develop valuable skills in a geography degree such as analytical skills, attention to detail and others but it seems practicable to go straight for the law degree than doing a geography degree + one-year conversion course.

If you decide to go for law, I would try to figure out the career parth that you are more interested in barrister or solicitor. For a solicitor career, I would make connections in the legal field from the beginning of your degree by attending law firm events, open days, and career events at your university. It is important to have a knowledge of the work and culture of these firms so that you can articulate your interest in them. If you look for a place where to start, I would recommend Commercial Law Academy's "law firm profiles", which includes the profiles of 90+ law firms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending