The Student Room Group

Environmental Science VS Geography?

What is the difference between the two? What would be better for me to study if I want to be a Meteorologist?
Why wouldn't you study meteorology if you want to be a meteorologist? Reading is the best place in the country to study it (used to be home to the met office before they moved to Exeter but Reading kept the teaching degree expertise)

Most meteorologists come from a physics or maths background if they didn't study it as a first degree.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Why wouldn't you study meteorology if you want to be a meteorologist? Reading is the best place in the country to study it (used to be home to the met office before they moved to Exeter but Reading kept the teaching degree expertise)

Most meteorologists come from a physics or maths background if they didn't study it as a first degree.

Meteorology isn’t really an option for me to study. So would something else be better than environmental science or geography?

From what I’ve researched, it seems like physical sciences, environmental science, geography, maths and computer science are all appropriate degrees.
Original post by C12_
Meteorology isn’t really an option for me to study. So would something else be better than environmental science or geography?

From what I’ve researched, it seems like physical sciences, environmental science, geography, maths and computer science are all appropriate degrees.

Hi @C12_,
I'm currently in my 3rd year studying Physical geography at Lancaster, but in my 1st year I studied Environmental Science. To be honest, from my experience at Lancaster there's not been too much difference in the two courses due to Lancaster having quite flexible module options. Environmental science has more compulsory modules surrounding soils whereas Geography has more core skills modules like GIS, but this will vary uni to uni. So far i have studied a 1st year module called atmosphere, weather and climate and a 2nd year module called atmospheric science at Lancaster.
My best advice, is once you've found a university and courses your interested in, it should be listed on the universities website what types of modules you can study within the degree, and then you will be able to gauge if they are suitable for meteorology. For instance, this is Lancaster's page Physical Geography BSc Hons (F840) - Lancaster University.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending