The Student Room Group

Geography or law degree?

I'm having a really hard time deciding what degree to pursue. I am currently about to start year 13 and know the ucas application deadline is looming but still don't know which subject to pursue. The draft personal statement I had to make for my sixth form was about law, and during this summer I have been exploring law by reading books and doing an online work experience course, but it seems to only be pushing me back into confusion. I like geography the most, it has been my favourite subject basically my entire life. However, it seems the careers available are limited. If anyone can give insights that will help me make a decision I would greatly appreciate it. Tell me about your experience doing a law or geography degree!

My A Levels: geography, economics, law
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Leverager
I know the ucas application deadline is looming

No it isnt - unless you are applying to Oxbridge, you have until 31 Jan next year to submit your UCAS application, so you dont need to be quite so dramatic about this.

PS. You can do a postgrad Law course after a degree in another subject such as Geography - example : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/2023/ssl/ma-law/ - and Geography is a very versatile first degree as it incorporates both Social Science and Science, and can therefore lead to a thousand different graduate careers
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
No it isnt - unless you are applying to Oxbridge, you have until 31 Jan next year to submit your UCAS application, so you dont need to be quite so dramatic about this.

PS. You can do a postgrad Law course after a degree in another subject such as Geography - example : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/2023/ssl/ma-law/ - and Geography is a very versatile first degree as it incorporates both Social Science and Science, and can therefore lead to a thousand different graduate careers

Thank you for this! I have decided against a law degree and should have enough time.
(edited 8 months ago)
I'm having a really hard time deciding what degree to pursue. I am currently about to start year 13 and know the ucas application deadline is looming but still don't know which subject to pursue. The draft personal statement I had to make for my sixth form was about law, and during this summer I have been exploring law by reading books and doing an online work experience course, but it seems to only be pushing me back into confusion. I like geography the most, it has been my favourite subject basically my entire life. However, it seems the careers available are limited. If anyone can give insights that will help me make a decision I would greatly appreciate it. Tell me about your experience doing a law or geography degree!

My A Levels: geography, economics, law

Hi.
I’m in the same position as you. I’m still contemplating whether or not to do geography or law degree and i’m about to start year 13. I think with Geography i’ll be able to get into better universities but with law it opens more opportunities. I’ve been reading law books and i’m struggling to know if i would want to learn it for 3 years. I study Geography, Economics and Biology. I enjoy Geography but some people say it isn’t respected and i don’t know what careers i would do after university.
Reply 4
Original post by student123un
Hi.
I’m in the same position as you. I’m still contemplating whether or not to do geography or law degree and i’m about to start year 13. I think with Geography i’ll be able to get into better universities but with law it opens more opportunities. I’ve been reading law books and i’m struggling to know if i would want to learn it for 3 years. I study Geography, Economics and Biology. I enjoy Geography but some people say it isn’t respected and i don’t know what careers i would do after university.

What helped me make a decision practically over night, of geography, was thinking less of what is "respected" and more to what I actually want. From doing law a level, it's alright, and I wouldn't MIND doing it; however the subject I am truly passionate for is geography.

I probably should've figured this out sooner by how much I struggled to write my personal statement and how wider reading felt like a chore to me. Ultimately, I would be happier doing geography, and judging by your subjects, I think you may too! I spent a good amount of time doing a virtual work experience course about careers in law and it did not excite me at all. Plus, as someone already mentioned, if you do decide to change your mind later on there are other methods into a career in law. When I started year 12 I was set on geography, but it was actually the influence of other people which made me change my mind. I was constantly reminded of how useless of a subject it is. Plus a dream of mine is to live and work abroad, which a law degree may limit. In conclusion, I don't care because I know I'll enjoy it. Just think about what you're passionate about :smile:
What helped me make a decision practically over night, of geography, was thinking less of what is "respected" and more to what I actually want. From doing law a level, it's alright, and I wouldn't MIND doing it; however the subject I am truly passionate for is geography.

I probably should've figured this out sooner by how much I struggled to write my personal statement and how wider reading felt like a chore to me. Ultimately, I would be happier doing geography, and judging by your subjects, I think you may too! I spent a good amount of time doing a virtual work experience course about careers in law and it did not excite me at all. Plus, as someone already mentioned, if you do decide to change your mind later on there are other methods into a career in law. When I started year 12 I was set on geography, but it was actually the influence of other people which made me change my mind. I was constantly reminded of how useless of a subject it is. Plus a dream of mine is to live and work abroad, which a law degree may limit. In conclusion, I don't care because I know I'll enjoy it. Just think about what you're passionate about :smile:

Thank you so much i think this is what i needed to hear because i’ve been stressed for this past week and i’m genuinely interested in studying geography at university
Reply 6
Original post by student123un
Thank you so much i think this is what i needed to hear because i’ve been stressed for this past week and i’m genuinely interested in studying geography at university

Happy to help, I was literally debating this with myself the entirety of year 12 because I have the curse of liking all of my subjects lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending