The Student Room Group

Medicine Gap Year Stories!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chi chi5
I’m sorry it didn’t work out this year but if you’re determined to do medicine you can do it. Your grades aren’t bad, you can resit. As for the UCAT, two yrs ago I got 2420, this yr I got 2870. You can do this, it’s not out of your reach x take a few days to acknowledge your disappointment then get back at it

All the best

Thank you!

It means a lot.

(i replied from the wrong acc earlier lol)
Original post by KA_P
You could resit those grades and reapply :console: We're here for you if you have any questions

Is resitting or doing a foundation year better?
Original post by anonymous1771
Is resitting or doing a foundation year better?

I would check your eligibility for foundation year courses first before making a decision, what are your thoughts so far about either option?
My grades were CCC. I missed my Med offer at HYMS and was rejected. Was also told I cannot apply next year even if I resit and get higher.

I don’t know what to do? I don’t think I can resit another year of 3 sciences. I cannot work part time as I was in school all day from 8.30-3 then after school study 5 days a week. There was so much homework, revision and study. I never had a social life for 3 years.

Is medicine finished for me?
Original post by Lala_brit
My grades were CCC. I missed my Med offer at HYMS and was rejected. Was also told I cannot apply next year even if I resit and get higher.

I don’t know what to do? I don’t think I can resit another year of 3 sciences. I cannot work part time as I was in school all day from 8.30-3 then after school study 5 days a week. There was so much homework, revision and study. I never had a social life for 3 years.

Have you had a look at whether you're eligible to apply for Medicine with foundation year/gateway year or whether you could be considered as a contextual applicant? :console:

Edit:
Please see below as well:
Original post by _Rusty_
You could resit or you can consider pursuing one of the Allied Health Professions, another Healthcare role or something else:smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by KA_P
Have you had a look at whether you're eligible to apply for Medicine with foundation year/gateway year or whether you could be considered as a contextual applicant? :console:

nearly all require BBB and some accept BBC.
Original post by Lala_brit

I would recommend resitting and try to get BBB and apply for foundation but check if you can. But I don’t know tbh you are in a difficult position
Reply 347
Guys I need some advice
AAB with a in history bio and B in chemistry
I am retaking UCAT this year but last year I got 2530 band 1.
I was planning to take a gap year. Is it worth resitting to apply to a100 or should I apply to a mix of contextual schools and foundation years?
Original post by epoch.ly
Guys I need some advice
AAB with a in history bio and B in chemistry
I am retaking UCAT this year but last year I got 2530 band 1.
I was planning to take a gap year. Is it worth resitting to apply to a100 or should I apply to a mix of contextual schools and foundation years?

You need to check which foundation years will accept AAB. From the top of my head hull York and Leeds med school need you to have less than or equal to ABB, but some will allow you.
Reply 349
Original post by B7861
You need to check which foundation years will accept AAB. From the top of my head hull York and Leeds med school need you to have less than or equal to ABB, but some will allow you.

Hi, thanks for the response. Am I still eligible to apply to a foundation program, given that I meet the other requirements, with grades lower than the standard offer but higher than the foundation course offer?

Also, do you think it is too risky to apply to med schools for A100 medicine with these grades. Of course I would be applying to ones that have lower contextual offers, or should I stick to foundation year choices?
Original post by epoch.ly
Hi, thanks for the response. Am I still eligible to apply to a foundation program, given that I meet the other requirements, with grades lower than the standard offer but higher than the foundation course offer?

Also, do you think it is too risky to apply to med schools for A100 medicine with these grades. Of course I would be applying to ones that have lower contextual offers, or should I stick to foundation year choices?

It’s up to you, you’ve only got one b so can resit
Any offers today?
Reply 352
on my gap year resitting a level biology ocr and ive kinda left all my revision for last minute as in not even looked at a textbook since last year.... is it possible to bash out revision and get a B :o: I got a c last year
Original post by mo05
on my gap year resitting a level biology ocr and ive kinda left all my revision for last minute as in not even looked at a textbook since last year.... is it possible to bash out revision and get a B :o: I got a c last year
Provided that you start straight away, keep organised and do lots of practice, sure!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending