The Student Room Group

Gap year medicine

I'm planning on taking a gap year and then applying to medicine in 2024 because my predicted are quite low and my ucat didn't quite go well either. Is it better for me to take a gap year and re apply or just leave medicine as a whole because I keep getting different opinions and I genuinely want to take a gap year but my teachers are saying most medical schools aren't in favour of those who have taken a gap year.
Reply 1
Original post by Deluded101
I'm planning on taking a gap year and then applying to medicine in 2024 because my predicted are quite low and my ucat didn't quite go well either. Is it better for me to take a gap year and re apply or just leave medicine as a whole because I keep getting different opinions and I genuinely want to take a gap year but my teachers are saying most medical schools aren't in favour of those who have taken a gap year.

Your teachers are talking absolute nonsense and I would advise you to not listen.

First things first, make sure that you do your full research. You may be eligible for some foundation year medicine courses if you meet university contextual criteria which generally have lower entry requirements.

If not then I would suggest a gap year. I don't think I know a single university that doesn't accept reapplicants to their medicine courses simply because they have done a gap year. Either your teachers have said something they haven't researched themselves or they have mistaken it for A-level resits. If so then it is true that some universities do not accept resits, but if you put your all into achieving the grades 1st time then it's really nothing to worry about.

Secondly, gap years can be invaluable to strengthening your application. There is so much you can do from volunteering to paid NHS work as an HCA to extracurricular activities. This will pay off when you redraft your personal statement for 2024 entry and also at interviews.

Lastly, doing graduate entry medicine is actually more competitive than the standard school leaver or gap year route. Trust me, competition is fierce for Graduate entry into medicine.

In conclusion, there is nothing wrong with taking a gap year. It is difficult at times (and I can tell you from experience). Sometimes you will feel down as everyone will likely be going to university except you, but take it as a means of improving yourself and your overall application and you'll hit the ground running next time.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Aks-y
Your teachers are talking absolute nonsense and I would advise you to not listen.

First things first, make sure that you do your full research. You may be eligible for some foundation year medicine courses if you meet university contextual criteria which generally have lower entry requirements.

If not then I would suggest a gap year. I don't think I know a single university that doesn't accept reapplicants to their medicine courses simply because they have done a gap year. Either your teachers have said something they haven't researched themselves or they have mistaken it for A-level resits. If so then it is true that some universities do not accept resits, but if you put your all into achieving the grades 1st time then it's really nothing to worry about.

Secondly, gap years can be invaluable to strengthening your application. There is so much you can do from volunteering to paid NHS work as an HCA to extracurricular activities. This will pay off when you redraft your personal statement for 2024 entry and also at interviews.

Lastly, doing graduate entry medicine is actually more competitive than the standard school leaver or gap year route. Trust me, competition is fierce for Graduate entry into medicine.

In conclusion, there is nothing wrong with taking a gap year. It is difficult at times (and I can tell you from experience). Sometimes you will feel down as everyone will likely be going to university except you, but take it as a means of improving yourself and your overall application and you'll hit the ground running next time.

thank you so much
this helped a lot and changed my view of a gap year quite a lot because I had most definitely lost my hope in attempting to study medicine
I really appreciate it, thank u
Original post by Aks-y

i dont even want to study medicine but Id like to take a gap year! your comment is so reassuring. at my school EVERYONE seems to be going straight to uni and they percieve taking a gap year as a faliure. makes me feel so confused
Reply 4
im in your position

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending