The Student Room Group

Medicine Gap Year Stories!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WTSBLG
This is such a lovely idea. I'll write mine up soon! Been a little busy recently, but I'll get back to you soon :biggrin: @IBkidinthecorner

Take your time! I’m gonna have to rewrite mine as I wrote a single paragraph while other people have been writing full on biographies :laugh:
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
This. And it’s said far more eloquently than mine ahaha. I too found the opportunity to focus on my mental health has been really beneficial; I’m back to a healthy weight and feeling stronger both mentally and physically than ever before... although I’m still physically pretty pathetic lmao but hey it’s a start 😂

I had to go back and edit it, should have seen the horrible spelling mistakes :tongue: I'm still trying to persuade myself to go to the gym, I have no idea how people do it :cry:
Original post by Ria_xx2022
I had to go back and edit it, should have seen the horrible spelling mistakes :tongue: I'm still trying to persuade myself to go to the gym, I have no idea how people do it :cry:

I don’t go to the gym either - too intimidating ahaha. But I’ve been working in a place where I’m constantly having to lift things so I’m gradually getting stronger 🙈

Also massive congratulations on your four offers!!!
(edited 1 year ago)
I don’t go to the gym either - too intimidating ahaha. But I’ve been working in a place where I’m constantly having to lift things so I’m gradually getting stronger 🙈

Also massive congratulations on your four offers!!!

Really tempted to just work out from home and do a bit of cardio :groovy:Awwww thank you!! Really unexpected from my last two as I went in without any prep to see if I'd be able to do it. You're still waiting for King's right?
The effort it takes to persuade yourself to go will be greater than actually working out - at least that's what I'm telling myself :tongue:
Really tempted to just work out from home and do a bit of cardio :groovy:Awwww thank you!! Really unexpected from my last two as I went in without any prep to see if I'd be able to do it. You're still waiting for King's right?

No I’m not actually; I somehow managed to get an offer from them last month and firmed it yesterday :smile:
Original post by rads123
Hi, I’ve been following some of your stories for a while now since I’ve been on TSR and I just wanted to ask, how did u guys find the experience of seeing everybody around u go to uni but u weren’t starting for another year if that makes sense?? It’s just Im starting to plan for a year in case I need to take one and tbh that’s what’s scaring me the most. I’ve had such a hard year mentally with so much friends drama and dealing with rejections and uni was going to be the time when I made good friends and just enjoyed my life but now I feel so sad seeing others get offers and I don’t have any. Is there any advice u have?? I’m just trying to focus on my a levels atm but it’s still kinda hard. Ps love the idea of this thread, it’s super helpful!!

In my case all of my friendship group except two and me went to uni, half of them to medicine but in my wider friendship group there were so many in the exact same position as me. Me and my best friend talked to each other a lot about this. We were happy for them but it's hard to truly be happy, since it's disheartening to be missing out on all of it. But I think what got us through it is the fact that sure they got in straight away, but we have a year to de-stress as much as possible then at least 3-4 months to just chill and laze around before starting university. I was sad that I couldn't join them and experience everything with them but I think I really needed this year to look after myself and be confident in myself and believe that I myself and strong. I stayed in contact with my friends, it was hard and there were period where we lost contact for a month or two since it got busy but then we caught up on how each of us were. But to be honest I think what got me through most of this year was talking to my family and then lots of precious people on TSR, you might feel like you're alone in this but look properly (this was TSR for me) and you'll find that there are so many people in the same boat as you. Just go and check this thread out to see:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7138571

Like it's been said above, take it a step at a time. Plan out everything and focus on that step before even thinking about the next steps. You are going to be so proud of yourself. You should be proud of yourself right now as well. No matter the outcome you got through a grueling application cycle. Treat yourself. Eat well and sleep well and stay hydrated. If you want to chat or rant anytime, I'm always available :hugs:

Final note: in the long run, the amount of life skills you learn this year will really shine through. I've really grown as a person this year and learnt so much and improve my people skills as well.
Take your time! I’m gonna have to rewrite mine as I wrote a single paragraph while other people have been writing full on biographies :laugh:

:flute: :eviltongue:

I've decided to put it off until I join uni, I've got my eye on one that's £13 per month :biggrin:
Original post by KA_P
:flute: :eviltongue:

What are those emojis omg :rofl:
What are those emojis omg :rofl:

:lol: my inner child!
Wow so you're on your second gap year at the moment? What was it like starting a business? Are you considering a third gap year or are you going to invest your time into your business instead? Maybe before you decide against medicine, consider why you chose it over Dentistry in your second application. If those reasons no longer apply, then it might be worth looking into other courses assuming you still want to go to university.

It sounds like you've had a really interesting experience since graduating school; would you like to share any advice for others considering a second or third gap year?

No I won't have another gap year I got a place at med school this year but I'm likely to give up hahah
Original post by AnonymousPotat0
No I won't have another gap year I got a place at med school this year but I'm likely to give up hahah

Oh wow, that’s a big decision to make! Congratulations on your offer and best of luck for the future!
Reading all these stories make me feel super hopeful for next year and reapplying - just looking forward to a break from education mostly and being fresh and prepared to go into med school (if I get in, fingers crossed!!) the following cycle :smile: I'm having some trouble trying to pick out where to reapply honestly though!
Original post by KA_P
PRSOM

@GANFYD you're awesome :yep: :cube:

Aww, thanks, guys :grouphugs:
Original post by twahaa
Reading all these stories make me feel super hopeful for next year and reapplying - just looking forward to a break from education mostly and being fresh and prepared to go into med school (if I get in, fingers crossed!!) the following cycle :smile: I'm having some trouble trying to pick out where to reapply honestly though!

Now that we CAN help with :biggrin:. Come back with all your stats and we can advise re strategic application
Original post by GANFYD
Now that we CAN help with :biggrin:. Come back with all your stats and we can advise re strategic application

For this year, I got a UCAT score of 2970 and band 2 which I'm not worried about replicating this upcoming summer and predicted AAA at A Levels :smile: working hard to make sure I achieve those grades! I applied to Manchester, Liverpool, Southampton, and Keele this year of which I got interviews at the first 3 and a pre interview rejection from Keele. I got feedback from both Manchester and Liverpool and found out I was really close to their cutoffs / presented good skills in the interviews :redface: I'm pretty sure I won't reapply to Keele, but wouldn't mind reapplying for Manchester and Liverpool but don't know if, strategically, it'd be a good idea!
Honestly so inspiring reading all these posts and how people overcame their rejections and trials. Now I’m in a similar position of receiving three post interview rejections from Liverpool, Manchester and UEA achieving a lower score than I hoped for in the UCAT of 2710 B2. I am definitely going to reapply this year and will be my 2nd gap year though only my 2nd application for medicine as I did not apply for med in my first haha. Need to plan a different approach towards UCAT and interview prep and having such a helpful group of people to be available to dish out advice is very welcome.
Yeah in hindsight, I didn’t realise how selective the Roles and Responsibilities form would be! Definitely not reapplying to Keele, it was so annoying for them to leave on a whim until March just to reject me 😭 I know my other three unis allow reapplications (luckily!) so they’re viable as choices for next year. Just so upsetting to know I was so close, especially for Liverpool and not get in but guess it’s just refining my interview technique more because with some questions, I definitely started to panic ramble 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending