The Student Room Group

Medicine Gap Year Stories!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KA_P
I've decided to put it off until I join uni, I've got my eye on one that's £13 per month :biggrin:

Yeah same, especially since I'll be moving away from home and hopefully if I get my first choice accom, there's a gym on the bottom floor so it's a win win :biggrin:
Original post by Ria_xx2022
Yeah same, especially since I'll be moving away from home and hopefully if I get my first choice accom, there's a gym on the bottom floor so it's a win win :biggrin:

Ooh that's definitely a win win! How much do you think it'll be monthly?
Reply 82
Great thread all, I hope it makes all the excellent candidates who did not quite make it this year feel more positive and see a gap year as an opportunity which is not all bad!
Original post by KA_P
Ooh that's definitely a win win! How much do you think it'll be monthly?

I think it's free for students for the first year
Right here we go, hopefully it won't be too long!

Spoiler

@IBkidinthecorner I think I'm done now! (Bit long though haha sorry)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ria_xx2022
I think it's free for students for the first year

Wow that's amazing!
Original post by WTSBLG

Spoiler

This story is so encouraging - super glad that you got offers and your gap year came through for you!! ❤️ I’ve slowly started to realise that maybe I didn’t do as much interview prep as I should have in terms of how I delivered my answers because I definitely sounded hesitant and waffley in a lot of them in hindsight.
Original post by WTSBLG
...The hard part was convincing my parents to accept the fact I'll be taking a gap year, but it eventually worked when they realised how going through any other route would be more expensive, takes longer and far more competitive...

PRSOM This is so true. I had so many plan A, B and C's, but a gap year is truly the most preferable. I think one of the main things that put me off a gap year in the first place was sitting the UCAT again.

I think having sat the UCAT twice is CV-worthy :rofl:

Other than that, it just gives you a breather from constant exams and workload before taking the big steps into medical school. It allows you to become more independent and build some savings so you don't have to always rely on your parents and you get to see the adult world from a different perspective as well in my opinion.
I don't even mean to get soppy on this but I feel like I need to. Genuinely seeing everyone that I notice on TSR on a regular basis on here with all of our success stories this year is genuinely putting such a big smile on my face. Seriously can't wait for all of us to start and share even more stories on here :hugs:
Original post by twahaa
This story is so encouraging - super glad that you got offers and your gap year came through for you!! ❤️ I’ve slowly started to realise that maybe I didn’t do as much interview prep as I should have in terms of how I delivered my answers because I definitely sounded hesitant and waffley in a lot of them in hindsight.

Same here. Knowing I didn't feel as prepared as I should have been made me super-nervous and so very hesitant, and I definitely didn't expand properly on answers I did give. I already see what I need to focus on and improve, so if I get my grades I can't wait to get started! (Though less keen on another UCAT!! :s-smilie:)
Original post by WTSBLG

Spoiler

!!! i love this so much. i still remember us all the night before the autumn results day ! you most definitely earned and deserve your place at medical school :h:
🤣🤣
sweet lord I wouldnt even know who to look at
and I was convinced nothing gets as scary as doing the UCAT lollll
just a quick question. So in regards to the summer breaks, you have between each year at med school are you getting lots of work set for you to complete in that timeframe or will it just differ from med school to med school?
Do you class pre-clinical as basically years 1 and 2 and then everything after that as clinical?
Ah, that makes sense - just out of curiosity did you do an elective when you were at medical school?
Just posting to keep an eye out for this thread in case I don't get into med school!
Original post by bossman91
Just posting to keep an eye out for this thread in case I don't get into med school!

Best of luck for your application this cycle!
Original post by WTSBLG

Spoiler

Omg this is amazing, thanks so much!!
PRSOM 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending