The Student Room Group

Physics or applied science?

I don't know whether to choose physics or btec extended certificate applied science. I really don't care about how respectful or if unis like it etc. I just want to do something I'll enjoy. I've never done a btec before and I think it'll suit me. However, I do like the space side of physics (which i don't think is in the btec course) I'm gonna be taking psychology and religious studies too. What are the pros and cons of physics and applied science?
Reply 1
Original post by _Robyn_
I don't know whether to choose physics or btec extended certificate applied science. I really don't care about how respectful or if unis like it etc. I just want to do something I'll enjoy. I've never done a btec before and I think it'll suit me. However, I do like the space side of physics (which i don't think is in the btec course) I'm gonna be taking psychology and religious studies too. What are the pros and cons of physics and applied science?

In aqa The only space stuff you'll touch in A-level physics is in the astrophysics optional unit(which you may not even be able to take as some schools don't give you the choice). I would assume most other exam boards would also have little on the space side.
How goods your maths atm?, as you won't be taking it as an a level you might have to put in some extra work compared to your class mates staying on top of it, though it is certainly still doable.
Reply 2
Original post by Skiwi
In aqa The only space stuff you'll touch in A-level physics is in the astrophysics optional unit(which you may not even be able to take as some schools don't give you the choice). I would assume most other exam boards would also have little on the space side.
How goods your maths atm?, as you won't be taking it as an a level you might have to put in some extra work compared to your class mates staying on top of it, though it is certainly still doable.

My maths is alright. I'm getting grade 5/6 atm
Reply 3
Original post by _Robyn_
My maths is alright. I'm getting grade 5/6 atm

You'll be fine then, the maths barely beyond GCSE level.

Maybe start on physics and then if you find too much move to the btec? I know a couple of people who did this across the 3 sciences.
Reply 4
Original post by Skiwi
You'll be fine then, the maths barely beyond GCSE level.

Maybe start on physics and then if you find too much move to the btec? I know a couple of people who did this across the 3 sciences.

I can do that? I didn't think I could swap once I've chosen. To be honest I haven't even checked with the college if that's possible yet. But that seems like a good idea ty
Reply 5
update?
Reply 6
Original post by Marebak
update?

Haha well I opted for physics then they said there wasn't enough people so the course never started at my college. So I went with the backup, applied science. But that didn't have enough people either! So I went with a random one instead and went for criminology in the end xD

Quick Reply

Latest