The Student Room Group

Need help finding books in three areas of 20th Century History (war and change)

Hi there!

I'm looking for books in three historical periods during the 20th century:

- Economic change and history of the Weimar Republic in addition to political economic history of the Weimar Republic. To understand what changes happened in the economy and politics after WW1.

- Books about different views about what caused the welfare state in addition to history about the creation of the British Welfare State. To understand different arguments around what caused the creation of the British Welfare State. Was it war? Or more long-term?

- Books about Perestroika and Economic reforms during 1980s Russia and how the Soviet Afghan Invasion resulted in economic reforms. Or was it long-term?

Thank you very much indeed!
Original post by Jrd66
Hi there!

- Economic change and history of the Weimar Republic in addition to political economic history of the Weimar Republic. To understand what changes happened in the economy and politics after WW1.

- Books about different views about what caused the welfare state in addition to history about the creation of the British Welfare State. To understand different arguments around what caused the creation of the British Welfare State. Was it war? Or more long-term?

- Books about Perestroika and Economic reforms during 1980s Russia and how the Soviet Afghan Invasion resulted in economic reforms. Or was it long-term?

Look up relevant articles on wiki and historical sites, and comb through the notes and bibliographies.
Ask your local library to help you out. Search on Amazon for books on world history. Read articles published freely online and make brief summary notes. Good luck. Often times you can even locate and find many such relevant articles in history magazines and newspapers too. See if you can find world history books cheaply.
Original post by Jrd66
Hi there!

For the first one, you need to access a copy of the Oxford Handbook of the Wiemar Republic. At over £100, this book is not cheap but it will cover what you need.

For the British Welfare State, I think you could make a very strong argument that welfare happened at a more glacial pace if you trace reforms from the 1870s onwards. Certainly at a municipal level country councils were already doing in the 1930s what became models for the post war welfare state (particularly look at the London County Council pre 1945). The Evolution of the British Welfare State by Derek Fraser was quite useful when I studied this area.

Russia, I'm less familiar with I'm afraid.
Original post by AW_1983
For the first one, you need to access a copy of the Oxford Handbook of the Wiemar Republic. At over £100, this book is not cheap but it will cover what you need.

For the British Welfare State, I think you could make a very strong argument that welfare happened at a more glacial pace if you trace reforms from the 1870s onwards. Certainly at a municipal level country councils were already doing in the 1930s what became models for the post war welfare state (particularly look at the London County Council pre 1945). The Evolution of the British Welfare State by Derek Fraser was quite useful when I studied this area.

Russia, I'm less familiar with I'm afraid.

Is the first book you quote really a "need"???

@Jrd66 I'm away at the moment but from memory and just as an example, Adam Tooze covers Weimar's economic history in reasonable detail in the early chapters of his book The Wages Of Destruction.
:smile:
Original post by Jrd66
Hi there!

I need not suggest specific books, our learned friends on this site have already made some good suggestions, but to follow on from the mention of public libraries, you will find that if not in their own stock they operate an inter-library/county service where, for a smallish fee ( it was £3.50p in Hertfordshire last time I used it), they will source a book from anywhere around the UK to loan.
This may be worth a look at.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending