The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Yes I noticed that too...I haven't checked but I've got a sneaking suspicion it is to do with the new job interview questions rule??

Jessthecat, thanks for the reply. I shouldn't worry about written exams, its like riding a bike! In my final year I've been working basically every day and lots or evenings and weekends so if I get the job I'll probably see a reduction in my work load. Right now I'm working constantly except for sleep and food for my pending exams! My girlfriend isn't best pleased lol
Yeah, I noticed that quite a few posts were missing and also wondered if it was because of the new rules.

As far as pay is concerned - I was under the impression that you start at the bottom of scale 6 and rise by one point on the scale every six months or year, I'm not sure which. In addition, you will get any inflationary rises.

Congrats Jessthecat for getting Manchester xx
Reply 382
Hi guys!
I've got a random question and just wondered what you thought! It is kind of related to the post!
I'm looking at getting car insurance from summer but I'm not sure what to put as my profession! I will have finished uni in june so technically unemployed but I will still be a student from september but I will also be employed as a trainee clinical scientist! I have asked someone for one place for insurance and they didn't know! Any ideas or advice would be grateful!
Thanks!
ap12
Hi guys!
I've got a random question and just wondered what you thought! It is kind of related to the post!
I'm looking at getting car insurance from summer but I'm not sure what to put as my profession! I will have finished uni in june so technically unemployed but I will still be a student from september but I will also be employed as a trainee clinical scientist! I have asked someone for one place for insurance and they didn't know! Any ideas or advice would be grateful!
Thanks!

Skilled professional or student, whichever is cheaper.
Reply 384
I would probably put student, as thats what you'll be now until you officially graduate, and also when you start traning in Septermber I would have thought?
I'm sure it doesn't matter too much what you put down - either way is hardly going to change your chances of having an accident.
Reply 386
Thanks for all your replies, Just wanted to see what you thought! I'll go with student! :-)
I like the sound of:

"Medical Consultant equivalent status (Consultant Clinical Scientist)"

All I know is that I will do a Biochemistry degree, but have now idea what to do after. . .Do medicine, Scientist, Management consultant? :eek3:
Reply 388
Hi!
Has anyone applied to the clinical scientist program through last years second round of unfilled vacancies that are to open this year on the 26th of June? Im not expecting much to come from that
yea hedgehunter as a consultant clinical scientist you could be the head of an entire hospital department - its also nice to know you get paid the same as a medical consultant (minus the crazy over-time and private work they can do)
misanthropic
yea hedgehunter as a consultant clinical scientist you could be the head of an entire hospital department - its also nice to know you get paid the same as a medical consultant (minus the crazy over-time and private work they can do)

Yeah, though also without perhaps, the excitement and status. Though granted, Head of department would be good. Anyway what does a clinical scientist do exactly, do they analyse biopsies of tumours, blood tests etc? Thanks.
Reply 391
Hedgehunter
Yeah, though also without perhaps, the excitement and status. Though granted, Head of department would be good. Anyway what does a clinical scientist do exactly, do they analyse biopsies of tumours, blood tests etc? Thanks.

Different types of Clinical Scientists do different jobs- check out the website for more details-
https://www.nhsclinicalscientists.info/clrl/recruitment/index.xsp

Is anybody applyinf through the clearing process? And have any other people got Audiology places? Tis very quiet on here now!
Reply 392
Still waiting to hear from the Micro post in London. Contacted the lab at the begining of June and I was told that they hadn't shortlisted. So those who applied for this post should hang in there cos we still have a chance :smile:

As someone posted previously we may not hear about interviews for this post untill july
Was anyone successful for molecular genetics or cytogenetics?
Reply 394
Wow, they take ages, don't they! Well good luck with being shortlisted! Keep us all informed.
Hey guys, need a quick Q answered. I don't know if this is breaking the new forums rules or not. I have a presentation to do and have only 24hrs from now to submit it. A max of 6 slides - should I put in a title slide and conlusion? Leaving only 4/6 for the main content?
Reply 396
But surely the 6 slides are for the content and won't include a title page? If this isn't the case, I would strongly recommend a title slide either way. Also I think a slide for the conclusion is vital, you can just put key points on it and talk around them. how long is the presentation? One slide per 1-2 mins is normal, so you should still have plenty with 4-5 slides to use :redface:)
I've only got 5 minutes.... :s-smilie: Not sure how i'm supposed to fit in all I want to say. Should I take the stance of quantity or quality? Fit lots in or talk specifics?
Reply 398
I'd go for quality- if they're only giving you 5 mins, it sounds like focussing on one smaller topic in a more in depth way is better than trying to fit in everything in such a short space of time. Do one minute per slide, Inroduction, parts 1,2,3 and then conclusion. I'm sure they're looking to see that you understand something properly, rather than see how much general knowledge on the subject you have? Good luck :redface:)
Am I right in thinking that a Consultant Clinical Scientist would earn around 73k...but could this in theory increase to 100k+ with the right expertise and location (such as central London), as this what Doctors will eventually get?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending