The Student Room Group

How to become a sonographer?

Hi,
I want to study midwifery at uni but I want to take that pathway to get into sonography but I don’t know how to, and most uni for postgraduate require some form of training in ultrasound and how do you get that? Also, you need to get a placement in I think ultrasound? But how do you get into it?? Please help.
Reply 1
I think you would need to do a radiography degree not midwifery x
Normally your employer would advertise trainee places, so you'd need to apply through them. It's fairly uncommon to do sonography training independently.

And yes, whilst most sonographers are drawn from diagnostic radiographers, some are other health professions. It depends very much on what the sponsoring NHS Trust is looking for.
Original post by Skx100
Hi,
I want to study midwifery at uni but I want to take that pathway to get into sonography but I don’t know how to, and most uni for postgraduate require some form of training in ultrasound and how do you get that? Also, you need to get a placement in I think ultrasound? But how do you get into it?? Please help.

Can I become a sonographer with a midwifery degree......
You will need a degree in a relevant subject like: radiography. midwifery. nursing.

If you're a health professional like a nurse, midwife, radiographer, doctor or a healthcare scientist, you may be able to take in-service training for medical ultrasound. This will add sonography to your skills. Courses vary in length and are run by experienced healthcare professionals.

How do I become a maternity sonographer UK........
Receive an education Consider pursuing a postgraduate certificate, postgraduate diploma in medical or clinical ultrasound, or a Master's degree in ultrasound. It often takes around 12 months to complete a certificate programme, while diplomas and Master's degrees require at least 18 months of study..

Undergraduate degrees that are related to sonography include radiography, midwifery, nursing, science and health science - most fields of medicine will be accepted. You will also need to prove that you can read and write in English and pass a DBS check to be eligible to work as a sonographer in the UK.

You could look at the local health trust job recruitment website pages and see what is being advertised for sonography as trainee.

Some advice above for you and hopefully this will help you.

NHS registered dual adult nurse and midwife.
Original post by Skx100
Hi,

It is very competitive to get an ultrasound placement/experience and it is likely that you would need to complete a postgraduate qualification. This year, Leeds Uni has introduced an undergraduate degree in Medical Ultrasound. It's the first undergraduate degree in the subject I have seen and hopefully other unis will start to offer similar courses:

https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/j755/medical-ultrasound-sonography-bsc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending