The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
NoAngel
Hi Sambo,

Will try and tell you what I can remember! We firstly had a tour of the department and then had to wait in a room for our turn for interview (though I was first in my group). The interview was done by two people, and whilst it was formal, it wasn't too scary or anything.

I was asked about previous study, examples of research I'd carried out (for me, my dissertation), what I knew about audiology, why I wanted to do it. The interview was about 15-20 minutes long.

When is your interview? Good luck :-)

Thanks Noangel

I thought as much that what they would ask... were you a big group? I wounder what the rejection rate is at this stage? I had to submit all my transcripts along with the referee letters and my personal statement etc so they should know me inside out! Interview is next week

Many thanks for your advice
Hi guys, Im considering applying for a post as an audiologist, but am unsure as to whether i'll be qualified. In the requirements it usually states candidates have a degree of a science or engineering background. For the past three years i've been studying Music, Media, and Electronic Engineering (BSc) at the Electronic and Electrical Engineering Department of The University of Leeds. This course may sound irrelevant, but does focus on mathematics, acoustics, psychoacoustics, music psychology, digital signal processing and communications. I'm very interested in audiology, and could anyone let me know if they think it would even be worth applying for this post, and if not, would there be a better alternative route into audiology?
Reply 582
Harrywright- I definately think the best thing to do would be to contact the Universities you are interested in and discuss this with them. From the sounds of it your course covers lits of things that will be relevant and may even put you at an advantage over some other applicants, but there is some level of assumed scientific knowledge, so definately get in touch with them and discuss this individually.

Sambo- I was in a group of about 6, but we didn't do any 'group' exercises or anything, just a quick tour of the department and then an individual interview. I think as long as you come across as knowing what the subject is about and being interested, then you'll be fine.

Good luck!
Reply 583
Thanks Noangel! big help! fingers crossed!

Right my final question Noangel! Did you have to give the NHS hospital you got the training with anything after they accepted you? like university certificate? thing is I have lost mine and wondering if I can dodge paying 40 quid for a new one!

Thanks again
Reply 584
Hi,

Could anyone tell me whether the further information should be a covering letter or a personal statement for example university application?

thanks
Reply 585
Sambo1980
Thanks Noangel! big help! fingers crossed!

Right my final question Noangel! Did you have to give the NHS hospital you got the training with anything after they accepted you? like university certificate? thing is I have lost mine and wondering if I can dodge paying 40 quid for a new one!

Thanks again

Oh dear! The university might ask to see it, but my NHS placement didn't. However all the placements are different and mine seem to be particularly easy going compared with some other peoples. I doubt they'll ask to see it though, you gaining entry to the MSc is usually good enough evidence for them. They just wanted things for a CRB check I think :smile: Where have you applied to?
Reply 586
Hi everyone Ive read most of this thread and I am new to it and would like some advice. I have recently done a Microbiology/biochemstry degree and becoming a clinical scientist seems like a good option, im mainly interested in microbiology. However many ppl have said that my degree has to be accredited which only some unis do. I know this is the case for trainee BMS but not completely sure for all aspects for clinical scientists? I was also thinking about doing top up modules to make my degree accredited so I can become a scientist. Does anyone know any other pathways that I could go towards becoming a scientist in microbiology? I have started filling the application but thought it would be good to talk to others especially anyone interested in microbiology. Look forward to hearing from someone x
Reply 587
hi everyone

I'm so glad i found this forum. I'm currently filling in my application form for the 2010 clinical scientist post and finding it difficulty as the website is not very good.
i have filled all the basis stuff (address, work experience) online but now I'm stuck and slightly confused how I go about apply for the each vacancy. i tired calling the recruitment line but no one answers.
and there is a part for you to write additional information to support application but i slightly confused on what to include as the website does not give that much advice.
Please can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance
Reply 588
chrissy
Hi everyone Ive read most of this thread and I am new to it and would like some advice. I have recently done a Microbiology/biochemstry degree and becoming a clinical scientist seems like a good option, im mainly interested in microbiology. However many ppl have said that my degree has to be accredited which only some unis do. I know this is the case for trainee BMS but not completely sure for all aspects for clinical scientists? I was also thinking about doing top up modules to make my degree accredited so I can become a scientist. Does anyone know any other pathways that I could go towards becoming a scientist in microbiology? I have started filling the application but thought it would be good to talk to others especially anyone interested in microbiology. Look forward to hearing from someone x

Hi Chrissy,
I also have recently completed a degree in Microbiology and only when I graduated did I discover that my degree is not accredited (I didn't know it had to be!!). As far as I can gather, your degree has to be accredited for trainee BMS posts but not for clinical scientist posts. Have you had your degree assessed by IBMS? I am considering doing this but they recently put the fee up from £90 to £250 :mad: which has caused me to delay!
Darel
Reply 589
Hi!

I found here many interesting informations about the training for CS.
I am looking for some advice...maybe you could help me...???? I came from Poland 6 months ago as a visiting PhD student at University od Leeds, LIMM.
I have MSc in laboratory medicine (5 years very focused on work in the lab and advicing doctors) tahn PhD study, since 3 y I have been working in clinical laboratory in the hospital, afternoons twice a week in private one and full time at the university research and teaching. last year i accomplished specialization medical laboratory diagnostics and passed extremely difficult exam (theory and practise). But I cannot find a proper place in the food chain here in clinical chemistry in UK. what do u think, may I apply directly to HPC to recognize me as clinical scientist? or it is better to start with training next year?
any suggestions, tios solutions are very welcome...
Thanks
Tarin_87
Thanks sparkle, great stuff. :smile: I am applying for Clnical Biochemistry, London, South Central, East Midlands and Analytical Toxicology. I only went to London Open day this monday, If I get lucky in interviews than I'll definitely go to the other labs. I just graduated in November with a 2:1 in Medical Biochemistry but did 6 months internship in a private healthcare company. How about you, what degree are you doing and what did you apply for.

I applied for London, South Central, North West and South West, still doing my Biochemistry degree.
Finally sent off my application this morning :biggrin:
Reply 591
*Sparkle*
I applied for London, South Central, North West and South West, still doing my Biochemistry degree.
Finally sent off my application this morning :biggrin:

Hi Sparkle! I also sent the application in today! But I emailed it to the address that it i says on the application form and I got a reply with the application form and guide back! Did this happen to you or did you send your application by post?
Sambo1980
Hi Sparkle! I also sent the application in today! But I emailed it to the address that it i says on the application form and I got a reply with the application form and guide back! Did this happen to you or did you send your application by post?

I sent it back where it said to, I might post it to each centre after the deadline date if I haven't had a proper confirmation.
Reply 593
*Sparkle*
I sent it back where it said to, I might post it to each centre after the deadline date if I haven't had a proper confirmation.

So you got the same Automated responce as me?
I did too - but no one has emailed me back to confirm receipt.
Reply 595
Hello everyone!

I came across this thread a few days ago and found it very useful!

I'm in the final year of my PhD in Biomedical Sciences and want to apply for the Clinical Biochemistry Trainee position in 2011. I know it's a long way ahead but from what i've heard it's very competitive so need to start preparing myself now!

Good luck to everyone that's applied/apply now... my fingers are crossed for you :smile:
Sambo1980
So you got the same Automated responce as me?

Yeh I did sorry lol
Only just found this thread! I went on my first and only clinical visit today, fairly scary with what they said! Going to completely rewrite my personal statement tomorrow/friday and then apply over the weekend.

I'm applying for all Clinical Biochem posts, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and Birmingham. Thinking of maybe swapping Leeds or Sheffield for London though? It was mentioned today that they're both very competitive and have fewer vacancies.

I seem to be one of the only chemists to apply, out of the 5 in my clinical visit today, all the other 4 were biochemists! But the Consultant showing us round was a chemist so that made me feel a bit better!
Reply 598
Hi Darel, sorry for the late reply. I had my degree assessed a few months ago through IBMs for £90 and they replied after 6-8 weeks informing me that i have to do certain modules around 5 to get accredited. Therefore I have to contact universities that are accredited to do my top up modules. Also ppl have told me that certain clinical scientist positions might require accredited degree but not sure. If you are looking to go into a lab based job maybe its worth contacting IBMS. Sorry i cant be much help cause im not too sure muyself. thanks for the reply
NoAngel
As the MSc has no real clinical component, you are required to do a one year clinical placement after the MSc in order to register as an Audiologist. To be able to do the MSc route, you must apply to the University of your choise (Manchester, Southampton or UCL) for a place on their course and also for a funded CCC place. This funding covers fees, a bursary to live off and a one year salaried clinical placemt at the end of the MSc.

Hi all. Just joined up - as others have said, this is a really useful thread!

I'm in the process of applying for the audiology clinical science scheme for this year, but I hadn't realised about the above until just now.

I have two questions:

i) If I've already made my applications for the MSc, am i too late to apply for the CCC place? On my applications it asked about funding, and I just said I was applying for the NHS clinical science funding...

ii) I've visited this web page to try to find out more about this CCC funding: http://www.nhsstudentgrants.co.uk/. Unfortunately I can't work out which funding applied to me...

If anyone can help with either of these queries I'd be really grateful!

Thanks all. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending