The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fairyface

From my experince a career in the NHS is not all its cracked up to be. If you want to be a trainee clinical scientist be prepared to move around the country as there are no jobs and will be even fewer with all the cuts. Not a career move for someone with a mortgage and family!

I agree with this to a point. It is unlikely that you will get a permanent position at the lab you train in, but there are permanent jobs if you're willing to move. The only exception is London, since there are so many labs in a small area it's pretty common for people to change between them. But it is true that if you are adamant on staying in a single place, then chances are you will suffer to some degree.

On the other hand, one of the reasons clinical science is so competitive is because job security is much better than in research. Of course, that might all change in the coming years, but saying there are no jobs is a massive exaggeration.
Im not really sure who is prefered; people with PhD's or just undergrads but I think this year there preferenced more to fresh graduates, I mean no offence to those with a PhD but if you have a PhD you most probably have work published in international journals and attended and gave presentations at international conferences. Nothing against the scheme but its like those with a PhD are almost overqualifed for a job like this, which in all regards will probably be carried out by robots in 10-20 years and especially when fresh graduates have more or less an equal chance of getting the same job.
Original post by NatJR
Any news from physiology applicants?? Thanks

Rejected from Berkshire (Cardiac Physiology) on 23/03/11. Not a peep from Oxford (Cardiac Physiology), Bristol/Bath (Vascular Science)...not all that hopeful now TBH..
.... and having a PhD will be a massive advantage when answering the questions as the knowledge and skills you have aquired doing the thing will help you speak with conviction and confidence.

I see your point but a PhD is a very niche area, some one who did a PhD in biochemistry will not know all of the field like the back of their hands - but only a very small and narrow area of the field. Its just as hard for PhDs to get this as it is for undergrads. But your experience of a biochem lab will definitely help you, in fact you would be quite a competitor!

Good luck and remember this year it IS very fair.. it is based on how much you know, not what credentials you have.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1584
Original post by Chris_B_SE22
Rejected from Berkshire (Cardiac Physiology) on 23/03/11. Not a peep from Oxford (Cardiac Physiology), Bristol/Bath (Vascular Science)...not all that hopeful now TBH..

Thanks for the reply good luck for the others! I haven't heard anything from the Vascular posts either..
Fingers crossed!
If this is the case then I agree it is fair, but I doubt the lab managers will like this new selection criteria.

Last year I went for a lab visit to a biochemistry lab. The manager was dead enthusiastic about me and made notes and he really encouraged me to apply. I did. Wasnt shortlisted. So I asked for feedback, and he told me I lost marks for my education. I was really upset because he was obviously looking for PhD candidates (the last few years all successful applicants had PhD's) but still told me to apply - so I had no chance from the beginning and wasted one of my four places!

Btw - I have a 2.1 and 5 years experience in a NHS biochemistry lab!

Also, every grade A trainee I have spoken to who have PhDs said they would never have done a PhD if they could of got the job without it. I think higher degrees are the way into this profession, it seems worth miles more than years of lab experience.

From my experince a career in the NHS is not all its cracked up to be. If you want to be a trainee clinical scientist be prepared to move around the country as there are no jobs and will be even fewer with all the cuts. Not a career move for someone with a mortgage and family!

It is true that the job is a big commitment. I know all this and I still want it because it offers so much more than any other job. I am prepared to move, otherwise what is the point? A lot of people go for this for all the wrong reasons and I have heard from many departments that people leave because its too demanding.. I think these people will not get through this year because their lack of knowledge/passion will come through in the interview.. which is a good thing.
Original post by arcenceil
Im not really sure who is prefered; people with PhD's or just undergrads but I think this year there preferenced more to fresh graduates, I mean no offence to those with a PhD but if you have a PhD you most probably have work published in international journals and attended and gave presentations at international conferences. Nothing against the scheme but its like those with a PhD are almost overqualifed for a job like this, which in all regards will probably be carried out by robots in 10-20 years and especially when fresh graduates have more or less an equal chance of getting the same job.

Actually if you want to go up the career ladder in this profession, you NEED a PhD and it is very difficult to do one while your working so people get a PhD and then go for it. Personally I think undergrads are under-qualified - no offense.
Reply 1587

Last year I went for a lab visit to a biochemistry lab. The manager was dead enthusiastic about me and made notes and he really encouraged me to apply. I did. Wasnt shortlisted. So I asked for feedback, and he told me I lost marks for my education. I was really upset because he was obviously looking for PhD candidates (the last few years all successful applicants had PhD's) but still told me to apply - so I had no chance from the beginning and wasted one of my four places!

Btw - I have a 2.1 and 5 years experience in a NHS biochemistry lab!

That really sucks. I've been wondering for awhile how much my years of experience working at a research assistant would help me in getting shortlisted. Were you shortlisted for any other positions?
Original post by GraduateSK
Although if having a PhD is an advantage, I will be well happyy cos after the hard work of doing a PhD, I think I deserve to get a job over undergrads!

Although isn't this technically a graduate scheme not a postgraduate scheme?
Original post by chris300
Although isn't this technically a graduate scheme not a postgraduate scheme?

As far I can see they are not putting much effort on it being a 'graduate scheme', the basic minimum is a 2.1 but they say that people with research experience are encouraged to apply. They have worded it nicely. So sure, its a graduate scheme but the number of PhDs that get hired surely should tell you something
Just had a call to say I've been shortlisted for an interview for radiotherapy physics next Thursday. I'm made up!
So, how are people preparing for the interview? For people currently studying how are you balancing exam revision and interview preparation?

Luckily I'm doing a medical physics module so I feel that if I focus on revising that module I'll be sort of killing two birds with one stone. Unfortunately that doesn't exactly hone my interview technique so I'll have to do some of that as well.

Do you think they might test us on whether we can use a database? I haven't used one since I was about 11 but it's on the person specification so think perhaps I may have to find a short tutorial on the web so I know what I'm doing in case it comes up.

Any other interesting interview concerns?
Original post by mateyface
So, how are people preparing for the interview? For people currently studying how are you balancing exam revision and interview preparation?

Luckily I'm doing a medical physics module so I feel that if I focus on revising that module I'll be sort of killing two birds with one stone. Unfortunately that doesn't exactly hone my interview technique so I'll have to do some of that as well.

Do you think they might test us on whether we can use a database? I haven't used one since I was about 11 but it's on the person specification so think perhaps I may have to find a short tutorial on the web so I know what I'm doing in case it comes up.

Any other interesting interview concerns?

What do you mean by database?
Basically be able to use microsoft access or similar programme.
Original post by mateyface
Basically be able to use microsoft access or similar programme.

I think thats minor. Theres only 10 minutes per station, they wont waste time testing you on that..
Hi everyone
sorry I know I'm joining this forum very late in the day. I applied for genetics in b'ham and oxford have people already gotten interviews for these?
Reply 1596
Original post by Mary Sinead
Hi everyone
sorry I know I'm joining this forum very late in the day. I applied for genetics in b'ham and oxford have people already gotten interviews for these?

I haven't heard anything if that helps.....
:smile: Thanks
Hopefully that's good for us both. Do you know if there's a time table for assessment centres like the one for clinical physics. Sorry if this has all been discussed before loads of time :frown:
Original post by Mary Sinead
Hi everyone

http://www.networks.nhs.uk/nhs-networks/east-midlands-msc-implementation/documents/MSC%20Recruitment%202011%20-%20table%20of%20assessment%20centre%20dates.doc/view

These are the dates for the assessment centres. You will most likely not get a call or an email until 1 week before if you are successful.
Thanks so much for help work is crazy, no time to think. But sick today so loads of time to think :frown: Hope you here soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending