The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Panthea
I agree too - it seems terribly unfair. In fact I think they should consider, for next year, having candidates fill in just one form on which they list their top four choices...rather than applying to each hospital. Much like UCAS, I suppose. Wouldn't that be fairer? Applications could then be shared with the four hospitals listed on the form so that they could see who's applying.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone who has interviews, and here's another Thank You to Triwka for that link - it was very useful indeed! :smile:

This is the old system and maybe people will think I'm wrong but other trainee posts are like normal job posts I don't see why this should be any different. It's good each trust gets a say because if you think about it you have more of a chance of getting a post what one recruiter might not like in your personal statement another would etc..it's just unfortunate that the fact people applied for more than 4 positions didn't get penalised and really they should have put on the posts as well this point and a link to NHS Careers so they could see this clearly.

I don't think there is a way of restricting applications on NHS Jobs but I don't see why there should be a limit at the end of the day they ensure if anyone is shortlisted more than once the next high-scorer gets a chance so I think by putting in this restriction it made it unfair.
I think next year will be different anyway because this year was very last minute and rushed.. they didnt have time to build a website and application system separate to NHS jobs but Im sure they will do this in coming years.
It seems they are inviting people for interview on a day by day basis. Just had a phone call from NHS Midland letting me know I've been shortlisted for Micro.
Original post by bunsenhoneydew
It seems they are inviting people for interview on a day by day basis. Just had a phone call from NHS Midland letting me know I've been shortlisted for Micro.

Well done and good luck! And thanks for letting us know. Though I'm now getting a sinking feeling...
Reply 1784

hummm, im getting the sinking feeling now :frown:
Reply 1785
Don't give up just yet, I only got my call at about 1.30 :smile:
I dont know if im being silly but i cant find the link to the interview dates? does anyone have it?
Reply 1788
Hi all, it is now that I have stumbled upon this website and thread, and it is very useful reading your tips and advice. I want to have a moan about the process though. I thought I had a good chance of making this shortlist, and applied to 4 biochemistry positions. What I realise now, is that I should have tried to get myself known in a hospital laboratory. I have a degree and PhD in biomedical science from an accreditted university, and two years experience in a clinical hospital. I have a number of publications in biomarker discovery, and teach a module in biomedical science. I really thought with my clinical background and laboratory/teaching skills would secure me a shortlist place, so I am pretty fed up at the moment. What can I do to find out where I need to improve on for next year, anyone? What is the key? Oh, and best of luck to all of you interviewing, and for all of the rest (like me), best of luck next year.
Original post by drknox
hummm, im getting the sinking feeling now :frown:

Well done, was worth the wait ! I'm slowly loosing the faith :frown:
Wait a minute...they're still shortlisting people that have applied for more than 4 posts? That's quite frankly pathetic and shows what a mess the NHS recruitment process is. They'll be getting a harshly worded letter of complaint from me.

It's tantamount to cheating - why are they letting cheaters get away with this? People that actually read the application notes are being penalised.
Reply 1791
Original post by FossilLady
Wait a minute...they're still shortlisting people that have applied for more than 4 posts? That's quite frankly pathetic and shows what a mess the NHS recruitment process is. They'll be getting a harshly worded letter of complaint from me.

It's tantamount to cheating - why are they letting cheaters get away with this? People that actually read the application notes are being penalised.

I would save yourself the effort in writing a letter to be honest. The NHS aren't going to accept anecdotal evidence from a forum of people applying to more than 4 positions as valid grounds for complaint.

I'm not suggesting that the person who 'exposed' it is lying, by the way, just the NHS won't accept/will ignore it.

Congratulations. :smile: Though yes, joining the others with that sinking feeling. There was a with-held number phone call that I've missed and no-one is around to tell me who it was but I can't imagine NHS numbers are with-held.
Original post by krazykipper
Congratulations. :smile: Though yes, joining the others with that sinking feeling. There was a with-held number phone call that I've missed and no-one is around to tell me who it was but I can't imagine NHS numbers are with-held.

The call I had was with-held
Surely they'd leave a message? Or try a different number (if you provided more than one)?
Original post by GraduateSK
The call I had was with-held

Original post by kathlovestea
Surely they'd leave a message? Or try a different number (if you provided more than one)?

See now I'm torn between trying to do the sensible thing and convince myself I wasn't good enough, they seem to be looking for PhDs and more research publications than I've got etc. And then looking at what GraduateSK has said and trying to work it in my mind.

Sadly, kathlovestea, my mobile was switched off as I was in a genetics exam this morning! I got back to my parents (another reason for really wanting a job!) and it just says we were called at 14.08 with a with-held number. No message though. :frown: The logical side says they would and the hopeful side says they won't. The pessimistic side is worried that if it was them and no-one answered then they'd skip over but I like to think that's rubbish talking.

I really wish it would just come up on NHS jobs as say 'shortlisted' or 'unsuccessful' like it did on UCAS to stop this worrying!

You heard anything yet?
No. I'm assuming I didn't get through, it's too late in the day. If that was an NHS phone call for you then hopefully you just have to wait for an email now, fingers crossed!

I'll just have to try again next year :frown:
Reply 1797
Original post by krazykipper
See now I'm torn between trying to do the sensible thing and convince myself I wasn't good enough, they seem to be looking for PhDs and more research publications than I've got etc. And then looking at what GraduateSK has said and trying to work it in my mind.

Sadly, kathlovestea, my mobile was switched off as I was in a genetics exam this morning! I got back to my parents (another reason for really wanting a job!) and it just says we were called at 14.08 with a with-held number. No message though. :frown: The logical side says they would and the hopeful side says they won't. The pessimistic side is worried that if it was them and no-one answered then they'd skip over but I like to think that's rubbish talking.

I really wish it would just come up on NHS jobs as say 'shortlisted' or 'unsuccessful' like it did on UCAS to stop this worrying!

You heard anything yet?

All NHS numbers are automatically witheld so you could be one of the lucky ones! I left my mobile at home but they havent called my work number so im guessing im out of the running :-(
Does anyone have an actual email yet for the micro posts?
Or on the more likely chance that it was a marketing call (technically we're not supposed to get them but occasionally we do) or something, they have just become the most frustrating people in my life. And will never get my business.

Someone said they'd been shortlisted for micro but didn't mention an e-mail. Which is the most important bit. *fingers crossed* You may still be lucky, or they may have called your home/mobile.

This is incredibly nerve-wracking. No will be depressing but then you can pick up and move on. But whilst there's still that tiny bit of hope? *sighs*
I've now had my email (they said they would send it though by the end of the working day) and when they phoned me this morning I missed the call, so they left a message on my voicemail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending