The Student Room Group

Transferring directly into year 2 Architecture

I have just completed my first year of architecture at the university of Kingston and I want to transfer. There isn't an issue with the course of the actual university too much by i simply settled for it and my living situation isn't great and i want a fresh start. I have emailed the university of Liverpool, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, Loughborough and Newcastle enquiring weather i can directly join year 2 study. The last 3 who have replied have all said that this is not possible and Manchester said that it is not possible for this subject in particular. Is this the case for architecture at all universities even if they accept transfers? I have seen examples of successful transfer directly into year 2 but not yet one for architecture. Additionally if they all reject me is it possible to apply through clearing in August directly into year 2 or is this only possible for year 1?
Original post by ..layla..
I have just completed my first year of architecture at the university of Kingston and I want to transfer. There isn't an issue with the course of the actual university too much by i simply settled for it and my living situation isn't great and i want a fresh start. I have emailed the university of Liverpool, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, Loughborough and Newcastle enquiring weather i can directly join year 2 study. The last 3 who have replied have all said that this is not possible and Manchester said that it is not possible for this subject in particular. Is this the case for architecture at all universities even if they accept transfers? I have seen examples of successful transfer directly into year 2 but not yet one for architecture. Additionally if they all reject me is it possible to apply through clearing in August directly into year 2 or is this only possible for year 1?

Clearing will be for new starters only. Remember courses were oversubscribed last year due to grade inflation and that is the year group you will be transferring to. Do your achieved A level grades meet the entry requirements of the universities you have emailed? Would you consider restarting in year 1 - then you could try for clearing spaces?

@McGinger might be able to advise you on the likelihood of year 2 transfers.
(edited 1 year ago)
Architecture is very competitive and most courses are over-full from two years of inflated grades.
Most professional courses like this are effectively 'closed' to mid-degree transfers.
And no, Clearing is only for filling spaces in Year 1 2022 starts.
Reply 3
Original post by ..layla..

Hi, did you ever get to transfer? I’m looking at transferring from my uni but it seems like it’s very unlikely unless I start from year 1😅
The following universities have accepted transfers into yr 2 of architecture courses in the past few years

Anglia Ruskin
AUB
UAL
BCU
Brighton
Cardiff (very few)
UCLan
Coventry
UCA
DMU
UEL
Greenwich
Liverpool John Moores
Kent
Kingston
Liverpool (huge numbers but mainly international so likely from a recognised partnership)
MMU
Nottingham
NTU
Newcastle (like with Lpool mostly international)
Northumbria
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Reading
Salford
SHU
South Bank
Ulster
UWE
Westminster

In total there's around 400 students a year transferring into yr 2 for architecture - around100-150 of those are international students coming into Liverpool (plus Newcastle) - so while the numbers are small they're not zero. Taking out all the international students it's around 200-300 a year transferring into yr 2
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
The following universities have accepted transfers into yr 2 of architecture courses in the past few years

Anglia Ruskin
AUB
UAL
BCU
Brighton
Cardiff (very few)
UCLan
Coventry
UCA
DMU
UEL
Greenwich
Liverpool John Moores
Kent
Kingston
Liverpool (huge numbers but mainly international so likely from a recognised partnership)
MMU
Nottingham
NTU
Newcastle (like with Lpool mostly international)
Northumbria
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Reading
Salford
SHU
South Bank
Ulster
UWE
Westminster

In total there's around 400 students a year transferring into yr 2 for architecture - around100-150 of those are international students coming into Liverpool (plus Newcastle) - so while the numbers are small they're not zero. Taking out all the international students it's around 200-300 a year transferring into yr 2

This is really helpful, thank you. I’m an 2nd year US student in a 5 year program and everyone has been telling me I have to start over at year 1, which is not a big deal for me personally but of course I’d prefer not to. On the list there’s MMU, but when I emailed UoM (since it’s a joint course) they said they do not. It was my top choice, so now I’m a bit confused if I should still put year 2?

If so, if I state on UCAS I’m applying for year 2 entry and get rejected, could I still get considered for year 1 in that application? Or can I only specify one or the other?
Original post by linakat
This is really helpful, thank you. I’m an 2nd year US student in a 5 year program and everyone has been telling me I have to start over at year 1, which is not a big deal for me personally but of course I’d prefer not to. On the list there’s MMU, but when I emailed UoM (since it’s a joint course) they said they do not. It was my top choice, so now I’m a bit confused if I should still put year 2?

If so, if I state on UCAS I’m applying for year 2 entry and get rejected, could I still get considered for year 1 in that application? Or can I only specify one or the other?

it's very small numbers at either Manchester university - less than 5 a year and only up to 2021 entry

It's at a university's discretion whether to consider you for year 1 entry if they're unable to offer for year 2

If you're coming from the US system then you might benefit from looking at Scottish universities too - their degree structure is a better match for US style study. GSA, Glasgow Caledonian, Napier, Robert Gordon and Strathclyde have all had students starting in yr 2 of architecture courses.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
it's very small numbers at either Manchester university - less than 5 a year and only up to 2021 entry

It's at a university's discretion whether to consider you for year 1 entry if they're unable to offer for year 2

If you're coming from the US system then you might benefit from looking at Scottish universities too - their degree structure is a better match for US style study. GSA, Glasgow Caledonian, Napier, Robert Gordon and Strathclyde have all had students starting in yr 2 of architecture courses.

I see, thank you. Do I still have to meet high school AP score entry requirements if I have 2 years of uni? Or will this qualify me to still apply if I don’t have those high school scores?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending