The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Transfer Uni

Hi, I'm currently studying BSc Computer Science at Cardiff Metropolitan Uni. My family is planning to shift to London next year when I will be in 2nd year of uni. I want to shift along with them. I took Computer Science mainly for the interest in Artificial Intelligence and found that KCL provides a specific course for it itself. Hence, I would like to know the process of transferring into this course.

However, I do know the grade requirements are quite high compared to what I got last year which is -
A-level AQA Psychology - C
A-level AQA Design and technology - D
A-level OCR Computer Science - C

I'm fully aware that these grades are not up to the standards but I'm working hard in my first year and will have my predicted degree by January 2024.

I'm aiming for 2:1 or first class and would like to know that if I do get it, would that slightly increase the chance of getting in? Also, I'm working hard on a personal project which is an app I'm building (it will use AI) and will most likely make it available for public and will also do marketing of it. It can be considered a side hustle. Also, I'm sharpening my coding skills along the journey.

These are some of the extra activities I'm doing and I believe that KCL would provide me a great environment to conquer on many other future goals like these while also opening horizons for internships in good companies during my 2nd year of study.

AI has been part of my life as I discovered ChatGPT a year ago, since then I have learned and read more on AI everyday and have tried to explore more about how it functions and how it can be used in daily life's of common people more effectively. I'm still in the learning phase and hence, do believe that doing this course will provide me greater depth.

Awaiting your response on what can be done further.
Thank you.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm currently studying BSc Computer Science at Cardiff Metropolitan Uni. My family is planning to shift to London next year when I will be in 2nd year of uni. I want to shift along with them. I took Computer Science mainly for the interest in Artificial Intelligence and found that KCL provides a specific course for it itself. Hence, I would like to know the process of transferring into this course.

However, I do know the grade requirements are quite high compared to what I got last year which is -

I'm fully aware that these grades are not up to the standards but I'm working hard in my first year and will have my predicted degree by January 2024.

I'm aiming for 2:1 or first class and would like to know that if I do get it, would that slightly increase the chance of getting in? Also, I'm working hard on a personal project which is an app I'm building (it will use AI) and will most likely make it available for public and will also do marketing of it. It can be considered a side hustle. Also, I'm sharpening my coding skills along the journey.

These are some of the extra activities I'm doing and I believe that KCL would provide me a great environment to conquer on many other future goals like these while also opening horizons for internships in good companies during my 2nd year of study.

AI has been part of my life as I discovered ChatGPT a year ago, since then I have learned and read more on AI everyday and have tried to explore more about how it functions and how it can be used in daily life's of common people more effectively. I'm still in the learning phase and hence, do believe that doing this course will provide me greater depth.

Thank you.

They have guidance on the following page, but to be honest, I think you will struggle to get them to consider you.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/how-to-apply/transferring-to-kings

"As general guidance, applications for transfer into the second year will only be considered if you meet all of the requirements below:

You have met the standard first year entry requirements for the course (such as A-levels or equivalent)

You have studied the same or very similar modules to those on the first year of the course here at King’s in your first year. Please take some time to look at the course structure on our online prospectus. The content of your current degree needs to be very similar, so please satisfy yourself of your suitability before submitting an application to transfer.

You have achieved or are achieving a 2:1/high 2:1 standard in your first year of your studies."

Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Principles of Programming
Architectures & Operating Systems
Computational Thinking
Computer Science & Applications
Web Design & Databases
Explore

hey have guidance on the following page, but to be honest, I think you will struggle to get them to consider you.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...rring-to-kings

"As general guidance, applications for transfer into the second year will only be considered if you meet all of the requirements below:

You have met the standard first year entry requirements for the course (such as A-levels or equivalent)
You have studied the same or very similar modules to those on the first year of the course here at King’s in your first year. Please take some time to look at the course structure on our online prospectus. The content of your current degree needs to be very similar, so please satisfy yourself of your suitability before submitting an application to transfer.
You have achieved or are achieving a 2:1/high 2:1 standard in your first year of your studies."
Reply 3
Hey sorry, I think there has been some issue with my last reply.

First I had like to thank you for your response. You are correct it is quite hard to get in with the situation I'm in. Also the modules I'm currently doing do not fully match with kcl's. For that I'm searching for online courses that can cover up for it.

I have a few questions before applying for a transfer:
1. When should I apply for a transfer, what month?
2. How should I apply, contact the head of the department and let them know my situation or apply through UCAS or both?
3. Is there any specific course, project or anything that you would like to recommend to me as now you know the full situation?
4. I'm not sure about this one but can I get in through any sports? So, for example, being in the uni team or playing BUCS for sports like swimming or badminton? I don't know if that would help but I'm selected for the team so just wanted to know if it will help at some point.

Again, thank you so much for your guidance.

This is my current module if it helps with any course suggestions:

Year 1:

Computational Thinking
Web Design & Databases
Explore
Hey sorry, I think there has been some issue with my last reply.

First I had like to thank you for your response. You are correct it is quite hard to get in with the situation I'm in. Also the modules I'm currently doing do not fully match with kcl's. For that I'm searching for online courses that can cover up for it.

I have a few questions before applying for a transfer:
1. When should I apply for a transfer, what month?
2. How should I apply, contact the head of the department and let them know my situation or apply through UCAS or both?
3. Is there any specific course, project or anything that you would like to recommend to me as now you know the full situation?
4. I'm not sure about this one but can I get in through any sports? So, for example, being in the uni team or playing BUCS for sports like swimming or badminton? I don't know if that would help but I'm selected for the team so just wanted to know if it will help at some point.

Again, thank you so much for your guidance.

This is my current module if it helps with any course suggestions:

Year 1:

Computational Thinking
Web Design & Databases
Explore

Apologies, I've just gone back to their transfer page linked above and spotted that they have a specific list of courses that will consider transfers. Sadly COMPSCI and related courses aren't on there, (probably would have been more useful to include that in their openng paragraph but there we go).

Realistically I think you may struggle to transfer into any London-based uni, especially for pure COMPSCI.

Have you considered staying at your current uni, (I presume you are living at home currently)?
Reply 5
Apologies, I've just gone back to their transfer page linked above and spotted that they have a specific list of courses that will consider transfers. Sadly COMPSCI and related courses aren't on there, (probably would have been more useful to include that in their openng paragraph but there we go).

Realistically I think you may struggle to transfer into any London-based uni, especially for pure COMPSCI.

Have you considered staying at your current uni, (I presume you are living at home currently)?

Oh, that's sad so does that mean I cannot get in, in any way? Like contacting the Head of the Department and letting them know about this situation? Do you think that could help?
Oh, that's sad so does that mean I cannot get in, in any way? Like contacting the Head of the Department and letting them know about this situation? Do you think that could help?

No harm in trying as it’s related to your family moving, but there is a lot going against you so I would be prepared for it to be a no.

I’d email the academic department rather than the head. They’ll rarely get involved with admissions decisions and will either forward it straight on or ignore it completely.
Reply 7
No harm in trying as it’s related to your family moving, but there is a lot going against you so I would be prepared for it to be a no.

I’d email the academic department rather than the head. They’ll rarely get involved with admissions decisions and will either forward it straight on or ignore it completely.

Thank you so much for your helpp! and I'll try my best. I can get this email through the website right?
Thank you.

Hello,

We are sorry to hear that you will be transferring to KCL soon. We would suggest you contact KCL directly and ask for the transfer procedure.

Should you have any general enquiries, please contact us via [email protected].

Cardiff Met Admissions. 😄

Quick Reply

Latest